Traveling around France with one lens: Summilux 50mm

Julius Yls

@Julius Yls thank you for your kind words about my images and my website.  I'm pleased that you enjoyed seeing my work.

You are right - there are a thousand different reasons that people are drawn to photography.  Not long ago, I came to the realization that I love everything about photography - the creative process, making images, the smell of developer, stop bath and fixer, print making, the hardware we need for our photographic endeavors and especially traveling to other lands and making images of other people, cultures and religious practices.  I love the behind the scenes work that goes in to preparing and hanging an exhibit of my images and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with the opening reception.  I love old film cameras, my Rollei 35SE, my M4-P, Kodak Tri-X, Fuji RVP and Pro 400H, new digital cameras, medium format cameras and view cameras.  But I think the cameras and lenses I am most enamored with are adorned with the little red dot that for better or worse, stirs so many photographer's emotions. 

Whenever I pick up one of my Leica cameras, I get a rush - I feel incredibly fortunate to own and be able to make images with such a magnificent little precision machine.  I know full well what Henri Cartier-Bresson was talking about when he said, "Shooting with a Leica is like a long tender kiss, like firing an automatic pistol, like an hour on the analyst's couch" and the meaning of Constantine Manos' words when he said, "The Leica is more than a camera, it is a way of life." 

Some might want to call me a "Leica fanboy" - if so, that's on them.  I've been called worse by my own mother and lived to tell.  But for me, there's far more to this photography thing than a one dimensional fixation on Leica cameras and lenses.  It is a way of life.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

On 12/27/2020 at 4:13 PM, Herr Barnack said:

[ … ] Whenever I pick up one of my Leica cameras, I get a rush - I feel incredibly fortunate to own and be able to make images with such a magnificent little precision machine.  […]

This is precisely the feeling I experience, and why I love owning and using my Leicas. 

Those who describe cameras only as tools, and the camera body as a box to which a lens is attached and nothing more, clearly don’t experience this feeling. Shame for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I missed out on reading the original link in the first post, as it no longer is active. The only insight I could find was here

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/08/16/road-trip-around-france-with-leica-me-and-50mm-summilux-by-juilius-yls/

but I suspect I missed out on the good stuff.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry @Mr.Prime and @Lelmer I was away long time recently. I've been involves with projects assisting artists and galleries to build their virtual exhibition spaces.

I have moved my site, and some of them aren't linked yet. But I have periodically published very short visual travel stories in Behance which of course all the images are taken with Leica :D https://www.behance.net/juliusyls

I also published one article for LHSA : https://leicasocietyinternational.org/blog/2019/06/norway-within-50mm-framelines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I saw a few photos on your Facebook page, looks great. I wanted to read the Norway article but there’s a Pay Wall so that won’t be happening. If anybody downloaded the original article I’d still be interested to read it.

Edited by Mr.Prime