Is the SL2-S the perfect hybrid camera? To me, the answer is...

Steven

6500 USD is like entry-level camera pricing in Leica world lol

After shooting with the A9 for a year now,  I find that there are practical benefits of e-shutter with no blackout and no rolling shutter. 

I'm interested to see real-world tests of the new 50 MP sensor, specifically dynamic range and high-ISO performance.  If it delivers I may upgrade from my A9.

I'm keeping the SL2 regardless. I feel it doesn't compete with this new Sony camera. 

17 minutes ago, Slender said:

This will be a rare beast in the wild outside of Olympic press benches, at this price..

Placed my pre order. Not that expensive to me. Same price than the SL2 and it can do so much more. 

17 minutes ago, Slender said:

Even olympic press benches themselves will be a rare sight in 2021 :(

😂😭

18 minutes ago, Slender said:

Youtubers got and will stick to A7SIII. So yeah maybe top of the line pros who really do hybrid Still-Video for a living (wedding and event) can consider this if not a "lesser" camera for still and another dedicated video one on the side.

I agree that it will not be a best seller. It will be a rare sight indeed. But it's groundbreaking none the less. I see it almost as a prototype, or a proof of concept. Besides the price, I am happy that Sony is putting out so much innovation out into the world. It's a real market stimulator. This year's releases from them are insane ! A7C, groundbreaking, A1, groundbreaking, A7SIII, groundbreaking. 

It is a whopping 1200 GBP more than SL2, or 2525£ than SL2-S. Also I though you were a 24MP person 😇 :)

Indeed the technological stimulation is good, if not killing the competition at all and thus resulting in a lack of offerings... If it works as a mashup between a Phase One and a RED cameras for some people that's good. However I keep my Leica stuff close to me for ergonomics, sheer pleasure of use, the lenses.... and its cheaper than ever now 🥳 ... and let's be real the still quality has this "je ne sais quoi" even non-camera people (thank god I still know a few) can identify. I was surprised they introduced a flash-sync port (time-code also?) and not BNC...

I decided to leave the -fuck-the-planet-just-buy-more--souless-shit-made-by-slaves-threadmill-every-year, fueled by high-quality marketing (in that sense Leica did too much for SL2 ahah), enjoy what I have, master it, keep making money off of it and keep the spare parts - lenses and the likes - for when Leica comes with "their" new version of the ultimate hybrid in a few years.

I saw some Alpha1 8K samples (all shot in low iso, presumably not log?). Looks gorgeous on nature subjects, but it is hideous on the mandatory, heavily lighted geisha shots... those Peter Mckinon ND+Diff filters will sell like hotcakes... I remember at the micro-salon of the AFC in la Femis (BSC equivalent in England, ASC in the US) seeing 8K footage - on an 8k projector- for the first time 10 years or so ago, it was all the same thing: great for things, plants, animals... hiddeous for people shots.

If you didn't like the rendition of the 4K at high iso from your Sony A7SIII I dont see how the A1 could do better than this with 4 times the pixel count.

2 hours ago, Slender said:

Also I though you were a 24MP person 😇 :)

I'm a 24mp person if I don't have ibis. I'll consider it if the camera comes with excellent stab. Also, based on the promo shots, the low light looks to be excellent on the A1, as to be expected with Sony, but it remains to see how digital the footage might look if they apply too much noise reduction in camera. The last thing will be to see how the pixel binning affects the IQ, but if we look at the tech in the A73, the A1 should be an excellent video camera. To me, better than the A7SIII, as it adds (back) Super35 mode (at the tip of your finger, not like the SL2-S, which is my biggest complaint), and the tilt screen, which is what I hated the most in the A7S3, and what I miss the most in the SL2-S. 

rgonomics, sheer pleasure of use, the lenses....

+1

and let's be real the still quality has this "je ne sais quoi" even non-camera people

+1

I decided to leave the -fuck-the-planet-just-buy-more--souless-shit-made-by-slaves-threadmill-every-year

No upgrade to the SL2-S for you then ? I wish I had your will power. 

8K footage - on an 8k projector- for the first time 10 years or so ago, it was all the same thing: great for things, plants, animals... hiddeous for people shots.

I think 8K is an overkill for most things, even nature. Never used it on the R5, would never use it on the A1. The only reason I'm happy its there is because it makes the camera damn expensive. In france, not many people will afford it right now, which allowed me to be first on the pre order list

😂

If you didn't like the rendition of the 4K at high iso from your Sony A7SIII I don't see how the A1 could do better than this with 4 times the pixel count.

High Iso performance is not really that important for me, or at least it's not my priority. My priority, I suppose, is image quality, and its true that I preferred the image I got out of my Leica always. At least for stills. For videos, its debatable, with a small preference for Leica, but for stills, Leica is just special. Sony and Canon cant equal it. 

At this point, I might add I don't need any new gear. My SL2S is just so lovely. But that A1 bomb completely reacttivated my GAS big time. Its groundbreaking and I want to try it! The only thing I would get that my SL2S cant do is AF in video ( I would buy the new 35GM), tilt screen, and super 35mode. What I would lose is the red dot.... and everything that comes with it. 

40 minutes ago, Steven said:

No upgrade to the SL2-S for you then ? I wish I had your will power.

It's not made by slaves in China 😇 --- ok save perhaps for batteries and maybe a couple of circuit boards ----. In a larger manner, I do try to contribute less to the global mess through minimalism... and somehow I can justify buying overpriced German cameras, British bags and Franco-Italian tripods with this excuse 😭😏.

In my ultimate dream of "Das Wesentliche", a camera that merges the best of both worlds (and has to be a Leica) could very well be the SL2s and a pair of lenses. However, I grew fond of the 47MP and the richness of those files. I seldom shoot above 6400/12500iso and for now, my video "needs" are video "wants". Plus all the people I know from Leica UK are currently furloughed 😲 so I couldn't get in touch with any to trade in/out...  I eventually decided to took it as a sign and walk out the threadmill for now.

51 minutes ago, Steven said:

Nice to see you around, Slender, by the way. 

Merci, toi aussi! Your insight and enthusiasm are always a refresh on internet... Gas is gas but it is a side-effect of the passion we share.

I was busy out lately... and it's been 3 years without snow here!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Nice to see you around, Slender, by the way. 

So... are you getting the A1?? The SL2-S stays??

Curious... as your posts were a contributor to my selling the 2 and getting the 2S. Very happy with my decision...

Not for video... just for better high ISO, and less need for 47.

52 minutes ago, Slender said:

It's not made by slaves in China 😇 --- ok save perhaps for batteries and maybe a couple of circuit boards ----. In a larger manner, I do try to contribute less to the global mess through minimalism... and somehow I can justify buying overpriced German cameras, British bags and Franco-Italian tripods with this excuse 😭😏.

In my ultimate dream of "Das Wesentliche", a camera that merges the best of both worlds (and has to be a Leica) could very well be the SL2s and a pair of lenses. However, I grew fond of the 47MP and the richness of those files. I seldom shoot above 6400/12500iso and for now, my video "needs" are video "wants". Plus all the people I know from Leica UK are currently furloughed 😲 so I couldn't get in touch with any to trade in/out...  I eventually decided to took it as a sign and walk out the threadmill for now.

Merci, toi aussi! Your insight and enthusiasm are always a refresh on internet... Gas is gas but it is a side-effect of the passion we share.

I was busy out lately... and it's been 3 years without snow here!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Excellent shot ! and excellent decisions and thinking !

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

So... are you getting the A1?? The SL2-S stays??

Curious... as your posts were a contributor to my selling the 2 and getting the 2S. Very happy with my decision...

Not for video... just for better high ISO, and less need for 47.

Happy to hear that. Less happy that you closely racing me for number of posts on the forum. Don't pass me please ! 😜

I ordered the A1 on impulse while watching the video announcement. I was in a taxi between a meeting and an airport, I picked up my phone and called my local retailer to put one on hold. She told me I'd be the first in france to get it. 

Do I need it, not at all, I am still very very happy with my SL2S. It gives me (almost) everything I need from a camera. 

But before I got into Leica less than a year ago, I used to be a huge sony fan. And the A1 was so groundbreaking that I had to pull the trigger. I actually feel bad about it but I cant resist. It took me a lot of mental efforts to quit sony and commit exclusively to Leica, and I had never been happier since that moment. I feel like a chocolate addict who went on a diet. I am doing well, but someone just made me smell a deliciously melted home made chocolate sauce. Lets just hope that's once I stuff myself with it I feel sick and quit again. 

I don't want to love it. I want to love my SL2-S more. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I just received my A1. 

Spent two hours setting up followed by two hours playing with it. 

My first impression so far is: who wants to buy a brand new one for 1000 less than it retails for ? I have one for sale 😭😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

A1

Jeff

I tried my three favourite profiles, which are all Sony created profiles. 

- The first one is: No Profile. PP OFF. It's a decent SOOC option, although it eats 2 stops of DR in video. 

-The second is HLG, which is my favourite because it looks good SOOC, needs little grading, and has 13 stops of DR in video. The HLG profile of the SL2S, which I use exclusively, is far better, and more malleable in post. 

- The newest profile, S-Cinetone, which is imported from the Venice camera and everyone is raving about. 1.5 DR less than HLG. Nice profile, probably the best on sony, but miles behind Leica. 

These profiles matter in video because they are baked in. For photos, they do not impact the final RAW image. They just act as different jpeg previews on the monitor. 

The RAW files of the A1 are absolute garbage compared to the SL2S. That's especially true indoor. Outdoors, they are ok, and you can try to copy the Leica colours. But indoors, they are unbelievably horrible, just like previous models. 

Would you like to see a side by side ? 

• Thanks 1