Is the SL2-S the perfect hybrid camera? To me, the answer is...

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

@Steven thank you, that’s a really nice comparison table

Thank you. While my post meant to be very subjective, I actually believe that for the most part, the conclusions are objectively hardly debatable. Except of course for the part about enjoyability of use. And even this to me is hardly debatable. 

• Like 1

The M lens mount is 70 years old and was not designed for weather proofing. There are other threads on this forum showing light leak through the mount of a M lens on a M camera in a long exposure - the 'traditional' solution is to put a hair band ('scrunchie') around the mount. So I doubt that a M lens on an L mount would be safe. Or you could try it and report back.😉

Just now, LocalHero1953 said:

The M lens mount is 70 years old and was not designed for weather proofing. There are other threads on this forum showing light leak through the mount of a M lens on a M camera in a long exposure - the 'traditional' solution is to put a hair band ('scrunchie') around the mount. So I doubt that a M lens on an L mount would be safe. Or you could try it and report back.😉

I’ve actually read somewhere on this forum that the impact on weather proofing with minimal with L mount. Of course it won’t be safe to shower it,  but ok for a few rain droplets. 
i can’t find the post about this anymore. 

heres a little something fun to watch. And it’s not the first person I see doing this. The second one was a very serious photojournalist on YouTube who was documenting the restoration work in notre dame. Very dusty environment. He gave his SL2 a shower afterwards. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHOMbsagkOu/?igshid=1i9d0taqd6ohz

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Steven said:

A quick update on where I stand so far on the original question in the title. 
Once again, I compare the SL2-S to the Sony A7SIII because 1. it's the best hybrid solution I had until now and 2. I think Sony is a good market reference to use a comparison. It's a nice middle ground between Canon when comparing to a Leica SL series because the Sony is better than the Canon with M lenses, and the Sony is better than Nikon for video and AF. That being cleared up, here are my side by side preference in the Caterogies that matter to me so far. This is still subject to change as I've just been using the SL2-S for two weeks, and I said I would use it for one month without touching the Sony before I make a final decision. 

- Stills IQ: Leica wins (BY FAR). The image that it produces are so sharp and beautiful. The color science of the DNG files is so impressive that I didn't even know it was possible to produce Raw files that different from the rest. Nothing beats Leica here. 

- Video IQ: Leica wins. The codec is nicer, retains better information, and has a beautiful color science, similar than the stills, that is so malleable and enjoyable to grade. The stabilisation, while its not an important feature to me, is also far better on the Leica than the Sony. 

- Low light: Leica wins. To my surprise, as the Sony in a reference in that domain. But Leica retains the color so much better, and I prefer the fine filmic grain that is introduced at high iso rather than the over demonised look of the sony. 

- Portability: Sony wins. It feels half the size and half the weight. Very impressive for all it packs and all it can do. 

- Ergonomics & looks : Leica wins (BY FAR). It's built like a tank, and it looks gorgeous. 

- Lens options: Leica wins. I love that M lenses adapt so well. it's like having an M body. and the SL lenses are something out of this world. Cant compare them to the Sony plastic lens. Not even the G masters. 

- Enjoyability: Leica wins (BY FAR). It's inspiring. Such a pleasure to go out to take photos with it. I love that the Photo and Video menu are separated and so simple to navigate. Extreme opposite of Sony here, where nothing ever makes senses. 

- Battery life: Leica wins. 

- Autofocus performance: Sony wins. While the AFs is enough for me in stills on the SL2S, it doesn't come close to compete against Sony's Eye AF and Animal eye AF. But since I don't do action (other than my kids) and sports, I can live with it. For video, however, the AFc of the Leica is just awful, and I consider it an MF video camera. I can live with this in 90% of the scenarios I shoot it. But it's still a pity. 

- Screen and EVF: Leica wins, with a caveat. The EvF, while being higher spec'd on the Sony, is much nice on the Leica. Colors just look better, and its more enjoyable to me. The screen, while it's way better on the Leica, doesn't tilt up, and I feel really sad about this. I understand why It doesn't (weatherproofing and durability) but for MF in video, its really not convenient and might become with time a source of back ache. I hate the flip out screen of the sony too though. I liked better the tilt up version, which was enough for MF in video. Flip out screens are made from vloggers. I hate them because I find it very disturbing when the screen is not aligned right behind the lens. it makes everything harder and less intuitive to me. 

- Weather proofing: its never something I cared for, but its really a nice bonus to be able to leave the camera in the rain without caring. I've crazy videos on instagram of people showering the SL2 with an SL lens under a hose, literally. I wonder how weatherproof it is with M lenses and the Leica M-L adapter. Anyone knows? 

So overall, the only two things were the Sony wins for my use is: 

- portability. I don't really care for this. And when I really want a smaller package, I can always use my Q2, or even my M. 

-AF. Of course, that's the biggest flaw of the SL2 and it might never be fixed, but im willing to try a little harder to make it work. I just have to get unhooked to the simple auto life. 

If only the screen would tilt up, it might have come close to the perfect camera for me. But I love it anyway. Will I sell the sony? To be continued... 

Hi Steven - thanks for all your posts around the SL2-S, very helpful and informative. Apologies if you’ve already covered this but for stills are you setting Pre-Focus to the factory default of ‘on’. When the SL2 came out (and I bought one of the first) reviews were mixed as to whether this was helpful or not, some suggested it ate through batteries for little gain AF performance wise whilst others suggested it was essential to increase the AF performance?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, SJH said:

Hi Steven - thanks for all your posts around the SL2-S, very helpful and informative. Apologies if you’ve already covered this but for stills are you setting Pre-Focus to the factory default of ‘on’. When the SL2 came out (and I bought one of the first) reviews were mixed as to whether this was helpful or not, some suggested it ate through batteries for little gain AF performance wise whilst others suggested it was essential to increase the AF performance?

Thanks. 

As I have been mainly using the camera with M lenses, I didn't have time to test extensively the AF modes yet. Intuitively though, I wouldn't turn it on by default. That sounds a bit useless to me. 
Im on the verge of making a move on the SL35. I shall keep you posted. 

6 hours ago, Steven said:

Thanks. 

As I have been mainly using the camera with M lenses, I didn't have time to test extensively the AF modes yet. Intuitively though, I wouldn't turn it on by default. That sounds a bit useless to me. 
Im on the verge of making a move on the SL35. I shall keep you posted. 

Thanks and understood.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

It's a shame if they don't try at least to match the video capabilities of Sony A7s III....

It’s not to be compared to the a7siii which is a video camera. Unless you also admit that the a7siii doesn’t come close to even have to be the right to be compared to the sl2s when it comes to stills.