SL Lenses firmware 2.0

Slender

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you to the members who provided the correct information and links. I found this thread from one I started regarding a zoom clicking noise associated with the 24-90. I couldn't understand how people were updating the lens firmware which does also fix my original concern while adding new functions.

I don't know why the international website still doesn't show the SL2-S page and that download.
I imagine that the lens update will be folded into the next SL2 FW update as well.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:13 AM, gbpost said:

I updated my SL-Summicron 50 with the SL(601), as described above. Now this lens has a linear focus throw on the SL(601) with an angle of about 90 degrees from infinity to the minimum focus distance. I cannot set the behaviour of the lens on the SL(601) because there is no menu item for it.

This menu item is on the S1r, as helged perfectly described above. For further testing I set the "focus ring control" to non linear with the SL-Summicron 50 mounted on the S1r and put the lens back on the SL(601), again. The focus throw was still linear on the SL(601), so I think that the lens does not remember the last setting from the S1r or any other camera but is always in linear focus throw mode on the SL(601).

It might be that you loose the non linear mode with the SL(601) forever after the update and have the linear mode instead. I like the linear focus mode much more and the lens feels in this regard like a manual lens to me now.

I have updated my SL 35, 24-90 & 90-280 via SL2 and all is working well.

I still have my SL 601 as a second body, should I also be individually updating the FW on the SL 601with each lens as well?

Seems SL 601 users are seeing and liking MF after the update.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb MarkinVan:

I still have my SL 601 as a second body, should I also be individually updating the FW on the SL 601with each lens as well?

No. The lens firmware is already stored in the lenses. Do you observe linear focus throw with the SL601 and the SL35 as I observed it with my SL Summicrons 50 mm and 90 mm?

11 hours ago, gbpost said:

No. The lens firmware is already stored in the lenses. Do you observe linear focus throw with the SL601 and the SL35 as I observed it with my SL Summicrons 50 mm and 90 mm?

Thanks.

I don't know the details of these manual focus options well enough to fully understand the pre & post update characteristics and am focusing right now on setting up which setting I prefer for each of my 3 compatible lens. 

Once I find my preference with each lens on my SL2 it seems according to what I am hearing those setting will automatically carry over when used on the SL601. 

It all seems to be a good step forward.

3 hours ago, jo kami said:

Can anyone confirm this firmware works for SL 601? 

I'm assuming since there is no option to change MF within the menu systems that it is pointless to upgrade for 601 users?

I used my SL 601 to update with the Version 2 firmware update.

Put the lens firmware update file on the top level of a SD card.
In the menu, go to Camera Information> Lens Firmware Version > Start Update

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a theory that the 16-35 was developed with an external partner, so the information needed to make linear focus might not all be available.  There was a patent issued to a Japanese company for a lens design that looks a lot like it.  That is just speculation, but it might explain why Leica doesn't change the firmware from as it was issued..

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

I have a theory that the 16-35 was developed with an external partner, so the information needed to make linear focus might not all be available.  There was a patent issued to a Japanese company for a lens design that looks a lot like it.  That is just speculation, but it might explain why Leica doesn't change the firmware from as it was issued..

Scott, this is true - but it‘s the same case for the 90-280 even with the same Japanese company. 

I suspect 16-35SL and Summilux-SL 50 are the two lenses with smalest turnover, so these will follow later (hopefully)