SL Lenses firmware 2.0

Slender

Also delighted to report the update "cured" my lens "clicketing" whilst zooming with camera turned on, a quirk reported elsewhere, too. 🤠. The ability to choose between 90˚ or 360˚ is very welcome: short throw for street/action.... (think wide angle M lenses with a tab) and long one for careful applications (think Leica-R Apo Macro 100 f2.8.... almost 720˚ of rotation it felt like back in the days)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slender said:

Also delighted to report the update "cured" my lens "clicketing" whilst zooming with camera turned on, a quirk reported elsewhere, too. 🤠. The ability to choose between 90˚ or 360˚ is very welcome: short throw for street/action.... (think wide angle M lenses with a tab) and long one for careful applications (think Leica-R Apo Macro 100 f2.8.... almost 720˚ of rotation it felt like back in the days)

The 24-90??

18 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

So funny that it does not carry over to other cameras. Of course, it makes perfect sense, but it really drives home the fact that these electronic bodies are a whole new frontier...

To be clear, the functionality carries over, but the setting for degree rotation does not.

The SL2 allows you to specifiy a different rotation angle for each lens, and remembers this...per profile. So you'll need to update profiles....

Edited by JeffWright
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JeffWright said:

To be clear, the functionality carries over, but the setting for degree rotation does not.

The SL2 allows you to specifiy a different rotation angle for each lens, and remembers this...per profile. So you'll need to update profiles....

Well...it's a bit more complicated than what I initially thought. It looks like you don't have to save the manual focus settings changed for each profile, the value persists across profiles.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I updated my 24-90 mm, 90-280 mm, 2.0/50 mm and my 90 mm using the SL(601). On the 50 mm and the 90 mm the focus throw is linear with the SL(601) but it is nonlinear with the two zooms. Using the S1r the focus throw is linear on all four lenses after setting the S1r to "linear" in the menu. Do you observe the same?

1 hour ago, gbpost said:

I updated my 24-90 mm, 90-280 mm, 2.0/50 mm and my 90 mm using the SL(601). On the 50 mm and the 90 mm the focus throw is linear with the SL(601) but it is nonlinear with the two zooms. Using the S1r the focus throw is linear on all four lenses after setting the S1r to "linear" in the menu. Do you observe the same?

On S1R, in the Menu "Focus Ring Control" (*), you can set the focus to "Linear", and in "Set", you can set the Focus Ring Control to 90/120/150/180/210/240/270/300/330/360/Maximum degrees (this holds for SL70-Cron). So full control of manual focus on S1R.

(*) Found in the third main menu, then "Lens / Others" menu.

Edited by helged

Thanks helged. I prefer the linear mode on the S1r and had set the menu setting to "linear", though I didn't check the angle setting.

What puzzles me is the different behaviour of the zooms and the primes on the SL(601), which has no menu seting for the mode. I had expected that the zooms and the primes work the same way on the SL(601) and that they work as usual nonlinear. I much prefer the linear mode, so I am happy to have it with the primes, at least.

The linear mode is great with the S1r.

Edited by gbpost
typo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, helged said:

On S1R, in the Menu "Focus Ring Control" (*), you can set the focus to "Linear", and in "Set", you can set the Focus Ring Control to 90/120/150/180/210/240/270/300/330/360/Maximum degrees (this holds for SL70-Cron). So full control of manual focus on S1R.

(*) Found in the third main menu, then "Lens / Others" menu.

Thanks.  I had not found that one in the S1R.  I'm now using it on the Lumix 70-200/2.8

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, helged said:

+1. 

+2  I downloaded the FW update this afternoon & after some brief testing on both the VE 24-90mm L & VE 90-280mm L, I can confirm that it's made a huge difference to MF on these lenses.  

I've set the 24-90mm to 90º turn & the 90-280mm to 150º turn. MF is now fast & accurate, without literally going around in circles trying to lock on to focus.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, _Michael said:

I'm still slightly confused here about the viability on the SL. At one point it was stated it won't work or do anything, but one of the last posts says it worked.  Should I attempt and update for my 'Cron-SL 50 via SL (601)?  

I did it with the 35 and 90 SL. Just follow the instructions and it takes a couple of minutes.

You can do the lens firmware upgrade on any SL camera.  But to use the firware on the lens, the camera must able to set linear focusing and select an angle over which the lens goes from nearest to furthest setting.  On an SL2 that is in focusing > MF setup.  I don't see a similar path on my SL.    There are other things in the firmware which are supposed to improve autofocus and I hope they work on all L-mounts.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb _Michael:

I'm still slightly confused here about the viability on the SL. At one point it was stated it won't work or do anything, but one of the last posts says it worked.  Should I attempt and update for my 'Cron-SL 50 via SL (601)?  

I updated my SL-Summicron 50 with the SL(601), as described above. Now this lens has a linear focus throw on the SL(601) with an angle of about 90 degrees from infinity to the minimum focus distance. I cannot set the behaviour of the lens on the SL(601) because there is no menu item for it.

This menu item is on the S1r, as helged perfectly described above. For further testing I set the "focus ring control" to non linear with the SL-Summicron 50 mounted on the S1r and put the lens back on the SL(601), again. The focus throw was still linear on the SL(601), so I think that the lens does not remember the last setting from the S1r or any other camera but is always in linear focus throw mode on the SL(601).

It might be that you loose the non linear mode with the SL(601) forever after the update and have the linear mode instead. I like the linear focus mode much more and the lens feels in this regard like a manual lens to me now.

• Like 1