SL Lenses firmware 2.0

Ah! Just found this

I'll see if it works on mine - I suspect that:

a) it's to keep compatability with the new SL2-S and you don't need it

b) it'll work with the next SL2 firware update

But I'll check up on it.

best

Jono

Thank you! The option of linear/exponential manuel focus is already here. Greyed out when a lens is mounted, and white and accessible whitout a lens on the body. All the features listed should be Leica SL2 compatible.

Cheers!

17 hours ago, Slender said:

Unfortunately, as of Dec. 12, the linked file is not the correct one. It is not lens firmware version v2 (despite the name). It appears to be identical to one that I downloaded in April of 2020 from the website (and was also called SLLens02.plf.

If you try to apply it to a lens you will get an error message. I tried this on my brand new 90 mm Summicron-SL, which the camera reports as having software version 1.0. I get the error message "Update file version is OLDER than current version" (emphasis mine).  On my much older 24-90 it gives a message telling me the software is already at the current version.

41 minutes ago, JeffWright said:

Unfortunately, as of Dec. 12, the linked file is not the correct one. It is not lens firmware version v2 (despite the name). It appears to be identical to one that I downloaded in April of 2020 from the website (and was also called SLLens02.plf.

If you try to apply it to a lens you will get an error message. I tried this on my brand new 90 mm Summicron-SL, which the camera reports as having software version 1.0. I get the error message "Update file version is OLDER than current version" (emphasis mine).  On my much older 24-90 it gives a message telling me the software is already at the current version.

Hi Jeff

That's great information.

Best

Jono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

Hi Jeff

That's great information.

Best

Jono

Perhaps you know someone in the Leica Gnomeworks that can fix it? It's also the case on the German version of the website as well.

I don’t really understand this thread, the firmware is clearly posted as firmware for the SL2-S so why try to install it on another camera model?

Even if the firmware is for lenses it can still be something that needs to be fixed or some new functionality added that is only relevant when mounting the lens on a SL2-S.

The capability of choosing between variable rate and linear focusing was announced for the SL2 in firmware release 2.  However it doesn't work as advertised in an SL2.  And this is described as a lens firmware upgrade.  Since the same lenses work on all L-mount  models, it makes perfect sense to me try it out.  Leica has not provided any information on the purpose of this firmware, but I hope they will clear it up.  (I've had the same experience that Slender and Jeff Wright report, and am mystified.)

All I can say is that I know they are working on a new firmware for the SL-Primes (got the info direct from Wetzlar a few months ago)...But I've no idea what might be the reason for the above mentioned "confusion"🤫.

Edited by panoreserve

4 hours ago, Joakim said:

I don’t really understand this thread, the firmware is clearly posted as firmware for the SL2-S so why try to install it on another camera model?

Even if the firmware is for lenses it can still be something that needs to be fixed or some new functionality added that is only relevant when mounting the lens on a SL2-S.

It's a lens firmware update, and nowhere in the linked pdf information file does it say it's specific for the SL-2S. And the lens firmware update has been promised for months (well, years, actually). I've actually committed to selling my SL system if Leica doesn't fix this, as I can't stand their dynamic non-linear manual focus.

I would expect a new lens firmware that is relevant for any SL camera model to be posted here

7 hours ago, JeffWright said:

Perhaps you know someone in the Leica Gnomeworks that can fix it? It's also the case on the German version of the website as well.

Indeed Jeff

Already done yesterday evening and I got a response at 00.13 German time (within 2 hours). Slender and your responses are helpful and I’ve passed them on. 

Doesn’t mean it will be fixed, but I’m hopeful. I suspect they’ve just packages the wrong update (guessing). In which  case It should be a quick fix. Otherwise I think there will be more information. 

Whatever. I’m following this thread and I know that Leica are very much on the case.

All the best 

1 hour ago, Joakim said:

I would expect a new lens firmware that is relevant for any SL camera model to be posted here

Indeed.  And it would be helpful to get a clarification of how lens firmware keeps up with the changing camera firmwares.  The only explanatory material seems to say that the lens firmware will just arrive naturally in the camera firmware as long as you are using an SL or TL lens on an SL or a TL lens on a TL camera.  Thus the firmware is supplied for use when updating an SL lens to use on a TL body.

But that only works at one point in time.  Camera firmwares update at different times, and lens firmwares probably will evolve as well.  In fact, it has never been so simple.  I bought some TL lenses for use on my SL back in 2015 or -16, and I had to go locate a TL2 in order to bring them up to current firmware so that all would run on the new SL. 

Incidentally, Slender discovered that the SL2 with firmware 2.0 has all the instructions to set the various manual focus response profiles.  But it greys out when such a lens is installed.  I don't think the SL[601] will offer this unless it also gets a firmware update.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

53 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Incidentally, Slender discovered that the SL2 with firmware 2.0 has all the instructions to set the various manual focus response profiles.  But it greys out when such a lens is installed.  I don't think the SL[601] will offer this unless it also gets a firmware update.

Hi Scott

Id be surprised if the manual focus response profiles were made available for the SL[601] whichever the lens firmware happens to be. But of course I could be wrong. But my understanding is that the firmware for the SL2 - already has the facility, as long as the lens firmware is up to date . . .

I agree.  Right now the SL[601]'s menu lacks the entry in which the focus response profiles are set.  The SL2 (and the SL2S as long as the manual is correct) do have that all in place.  The SL[601] also doesn't have a way to report or update lens firmware.  In its day that was always done as part of a camera firmware update..

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Ohhh, so option for linear manual focus is about to come? Fantastic! (Accelerated focus by wire is useless for moving subjects or for quick manual focus, for instance with SL90-280.)

Now if I can only ensure that my camera settings (not profiles) are saved when updating next FW.  I followed instructions, AFAIK, but to no avail.  Resetting manually is a bit of a PITA, but it did at least force me to reconsider some operations.

Jeff

25 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Now if I can only ensure that my camera settings (not profiles) are saved when updating next FW.  I followed instructions, AFAIK, but to no avail.  Resetting manually is a bit of a PITA, but it did at least force me to reconsider some operations.

Jeff

Hi Jeff 

It's a bit of a lottery - I always save my current settings to a profile - then export the profiles to a card. then import as necessary

5 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi Jeff 

It's a bit of a lottery - I always save my current settings to a profile - then export the profiles to a card. then import as necessary

Thanks, Jono. I don’t use profiles, so I’m a dope with such. I guess there’s a simple way to save settings to one.  I’ll check it out, as well as export/import procedure. Sounds like a good approach.

Jeff