Scratch on the Inner Side of Leica MP

Keops

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there. I am a happy owner of a Leica MP. I bought it as my first Leica couple of days ago after saving up for a considerable amount of time. Unfortunately I have a problem with my camera and after searching in internet I found out that nobody had a problem like mine. So I wanted to ask this minor thing that has been itching me for the last 2 days to the knowledgable people of this forum:

My question is: Is it normal to have a 3mm long scratch in the inside of the baseplate, close to the little wheel? I noticed that after opening up the camera there is a small protrusion which sticks out of the camera in the film take up spool side. I suspect that it made the scratch to the inside of the baseplate as the tip of the protrusion is matching with the scratch itself. I don't remember if it was there or not when I opened camera for the first time. When I had my camera for the first time I accidentally closed the baseplate without the backdoor of the camera sitting perfectly. So when I locked the baseplate up the backdoor was literally open. I ofcource immediately saw my mistake and closed the camera correctly. Is there a possibility of I caused that scratch? 

I am afraid that I was so excited to have my Leica that I caused the scratch by accident. If you enlighten me in this subject I would be grateful. Thanks in advance...

The protrusion is the frame counter reset lever. When you remove the baseplate it allows the frame counter to reset to zero (technically-2, but effectively zero).  The protrusion leaves a small rub mark in the baseplate paint, making it a bit shiny. 

It’s normal. Not a defect. Leave it alone. 

Enjoy your new MP!

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/11/2020 at 8:02 PM, Topsy said:

I just checked mine and I'd never noticed before but the baseplate has a sort of hard-ish foam insert that does have a mark where the reset lever contacts but as I said I had to look for it.

Mine is pretty visible on the dark black paint inside the baseplate. I can handle the paint that comes off after use but a possiblity of me damaging the functional innards of my camera would really upset me. For example the film advanve lever was accidentally slipped off of my thumb and hit the hotshoe 2 days ago and I have a small 1 mm mark on the film advance lever right now. These kinds of things will happen and each of them will make a mark on my camera as I use it. One of the reasons why I chose a black paint is the fact that it gathers "memories". But when I saw the small metalic mark inside of the baseplate I was scared that it may somehow interfere with its functionality. I thought it may somehow reflect the light and ruin the film etc. Being very obssessive doesn't help me in these kinds of situations :)

4 hours ago, Keops said:

. Being very obssessive doesn't help me in these kinds of situations :)

No it doesn't, nature isn't perfect and so aren't hand made and classic engineered machines. Perfection by your standards is perhaps best achieved with a Timex watch or a family hatchback.

• Like 1