23mm F Summicron - Full Resolution Samples

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like Fuji but I think the film simulations are overrated.  In fact I’m of the opinion that there are too many.  In this current period of evolving high tech were the I/phone seems to have turned the world community into a photographic machine and computational imaging is deemed king , I prefer the more simplistic and organic approach of Leica.  Quality and a more deliberate approach to ones art is where I prefer to be.  If I can achieve a quality 18 X 12 inch print with that certain Leica look then the CL is the way forward.  Adam.

Edited by AdamMark

https://improvephotography.com/34880/how-big-print-with-megapixel-camera/

Note that his yellow crosses still exceed the print quality that a large proportion of photographers don't manage to reach in their camera and postprocessing technique (and this includes quite some professional work that I have seen :( )

Look at 

4 hours ago, AdamMark said:

Hello Jaap,

Based on your expert opinion,  is it safe to assume that the CL and 23mm F2 Summicron is capable of producing a very high quality 18"X12" and 24" X 16" prints ?

Thanks,

Adam.

Just look at Peter Karbe Art of SL lenses on Leica Australia or Singapore YouTube  channels. 
TL lenses are design with 60 lp (line pair) in mind instead of 40 lp. 
So 24MP APS-C sensor with TL lenses will provide the same resolving power than 24MP full frame sensor with M lenses. 
So you will have no problem for excellent quality prints

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I have received a full resolution DNG image ( taken using the CL and 23mm F2 Summicron ) which I subsequently imported into LR.  A few adjustments i.e. exposure, highlights, clarity, sharpness and colour.  The image looks superb.  Very good at 200% into the edges and corner of the frame.  I think I'm now sold on this set up.  I have always wanted a Leica and I realise that for the price I could go full frame i.e. Sony A7Riii and the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8.  But there is something about the Leica brand that appeals.  A bit like how I felt about the Fuji X100 series.  It has sole.  And it inspires one to pick it up and go out and shoot with it.  I guess at the end of the day it's all down to personal taste and opinion.  Chris Nicholls,  reviewer from the Camera Store didn't like it much however the charismatic Hugh Brownstone, reviewer from Three blind men and an Elephant loved it.  It's a great review to watch.

Thanks for reading this.  Adam.  

• Like 1

It is not surprising that you are confused.
MTF charts are quite useful tools, and essential for selling magazines and lenses, but they do have their limitations and must be interpreted carefully. To begin with, a resolution over 40 LP/mm (in some cases 80 LP/mm) @ 50% contrast has little to no photographic relevance. Also, MTF curves are determined in the plane of focus and say nothing about the out of focus rendering of the lens. OTF diagrams would do so, but are complicated to produce. Leica takes great care about the OOF rendering of their lenses, some other brands less so. To add to the mix, there are various ways to create MTF curves making comparison between brands a hazardous business. And in the end, one cannot judge a lens outside the lens-sensor/film imaging system. Both contribute to the end result, taken separately there is no image, nor conclusion.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:48 PM, AdamMark said:

Hello Jaapv,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I certainly don't doubt the Leica quality and understand that sharpness is not necessarily the predominant factor that determines lens quality.

I am however somewhat confused.  Allow me to explain please.  PC Mag has tested numerous lenses including the Leica Summicron 23mm F2 which I am very interested and the Fuji 23mm F2  ( both APC lenses ) PC Mag test using IMATEST and their findings show that the Fuji out resolves the Leica by many "lines both at centre and edge of the frame". This I assume should equate to Fuji lens being able to deliver images with more detail ! Not sure if this is correct or not. I would be grateful for your views on this please - Not sure if I'm interpreting the data correctly.  Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Adam. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I know from my own experiences over 40 years of using all kinds of photo equipment is that Leica has consistent quality in all their lenses. When I have a Leica lens mounted I never find myself worrying abour MTF, lines per millimetre or if it  will have sufficient resolution. I trust Leica to do that job . My job is to step up my photography and push the lens to get great images. The CL  for example, and TL lenses are more than capable. The SL series more so. If you buy into Leica I think you can stop worrying about whether your equipment is good enough and just get on with it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...