23mm F Summicron - Full Resolution Samples

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have never owned a Leica having previously owned a Fuji camera.

I have always been attracted to the Leica brand and the small factor of the CL appeals greatly especially combined with the 23mm F2 Summicron, (35mm equivalent ) my favourite focal length.  Before I make a final decision could I please ask if somebody would share with me some full resolution ( 6000 X 4000 ) images that I can import into my Lightroom to check the quality.  Furthermore could anybody advise of any sites or forums which have such full resolution images displayed.  Thank you for reading this.

Kind regards,

Adam.  

11 hours ago, AdamMark said:

Hi,

I have never owned a Leica having previously owned a Fuji camera.

I have always been attracted to the Leica brand and the small factor of the CL appeals greatly especially combined with the 23mm F2 Summicron, (35mm equivalent ) my favourite focal length.  Before I make a final decision could I please ask if somebody would share with me some full resolution ( 6000 X 4000 ) images that I can import into my Lightroom to check the quality.  Furthermore could anybody advise of any sites or forums which have such full resolution images displayed.  Thank you for reading this.

Kind regards,

Adam.  

Would you want completely unprocessed files?

10 hours ago, AdamMark said:

Yes please - Thank you very much - I am looking to do general travel photography, street and landscapes so would be very interested in images taken at F2.8 , 5.6 , F 11 etc - Thank you 

You won't like f 11, that is well beyond the diffraction limit.

14 hours ago, lct said:

Been using those files for my own sake as a CL user but it is good to know that the T has not the same sensor as that of the CL indeed.

The Leica T is a 16 MP sensor. Pretty good for its age (2014,), but still...

On 12/11/2020 at 2:00 PM, AdamMark said:

Processed or unprocessed would be great - Thank you.

Ok well here are a few images taken over the last couple of years. A range of styles and processed to varying degrees, so not at all scientific but should give you a feel for the lens' abilities.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11Aqvj9CLGM0LRcdUnjDJN5qRCzXtmPL1?usp=sharing

I would say it has some minor drawbacks but generally I like the 23mm Summicron. Paired with the CL it produces high quality images in a compact package.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and sending images.  Appreciate them very much.  The camera CL and 23 Summicron F2 is going to cost around £2750 so I need to be absolutely sure.  I would therefore appreciate some further images if anybody has any.  Thank you very much.

kind regards , Adam

Actually you are buying into the world's leading lensmaker's products. If those lenses don't satisfy your needs, nothing will. With Leica, you choose lenses for their focal length, speed, possibly character, OOF rendering, etc. but never for their quality. That is a given, from  the simplest 1000$ one to the 10.000 $+ range, all are at least excellent in their category.

The fact that the CL and its lenses are priced at Leica entry-level does not mean that there has been skimping on quality, including image quality. For me it has replaced  the M series and its lenses (which I still have and use)  as daily go-to camera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Jaapv,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I certainly don't doubt the Leica quality and understand that sharpness is not necessarily the predominant factor that determines lens quality.

I am however somewhat confused.  Allow me to explain please.  PC Mag has tested numerous lenses including the Leica Summicron 23mm F2 which I am very interested and the Fuji 23mm F2  ( both APC lenses ) PC Mag test using IMATEST and their findings show that the Fuji out resolves the Leica by many "lines both at centre and edge of the frame". This I assume should equate to Fuji lens being able to deliver images with more detail ! Not sure if this is correct or not. I would be grateful for your views on this please - Not sure if I'm interpreting the data correctly.  Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Adam. 

MTF charts don’t take into account every aspect of lens character, simplicity in body design, control layout, or how *you* feel when using a camera to make photographs.  This sounds snobbish, but true.  What is making you move away from Fuji?  I sold my super high resolving Fuji GFX system because while objectively more perfect on paper, the images and handling did not encourage me to make photographs like my Ms and SL2 do (and the CL while I briefly owned one).  Are you chasing specs or an inspiring tool?

Edited by Anakronox

It’s a bit like hi-fi: you can chase perfect frequency response and signal to noise ratios but those so called “perfect” systems sound cold and clinical. You wind up fiddling with them endlessly rather than enjoying the music. That’s the difference.

if you want perfect test scores stick with Fuji. If you want to take pictures you enjoy looking at, that convey emotion then pick a Leica.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 1