Superb Monochrome

I have had my M10 Mono since July 7.  I continue to be blown away by the capabilities of this camera and the beauty of its rendering when coupled with M lenses.

The M10 Mono is something special - it takes the photographer to another realm in terms of B&W image making.  It is completely different from B&W film and from color to B&W file conversions.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 9

Long story short, my very best friend bought a camera as a gift for me yesterday to celebrate our friendship and his 200% return on stock investment(as per my recommendation).

I'm sure that I'll take more monochrome photos because I enjoy M10 Monochrome's tonality and many more advantages/benefits which M10-P not able to reach.

Initially, I ordered this model, and I missed it due to the COVID-19 pandemic that caused shipment delay back then. I compromised and grabbed the M10-P as a compliment solution in April.

And now this ideal camera is in my hands eventually. I am highly gratified and satisfied. And the M10-P shall be a stunning gear looking after color scenes and play the role of a brilliant binary backup camera as well.

Edited by Erato
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, richard cook said:

I have spent a few weeks using the M10 Mono, what an utterly superb camera, images are great, very impressed. 

Congratulations!

Mine arrived in the first week of February and totally seduced me to the extent that my other digital cameras have since been greatly ignored and my film cameras completely untouched - which leaves me feeling guilty at such gross neglect!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Traded an MM and an M240 up for an M10M. At first, the goal was to get a more up-to-date monochrome, with reliable electrics. OK, maybe higher ISO, and some better DR. The camera exceeds all of that - giving a walk-around art camera that IMHO was suggested by the earlier versions, but now is realized just as it should be. Really a delight to use. And that shutter sound is totally seductive. Remarkable. 

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Damn you guys.  Reading this thread about the wonders and pleasures of using a monochrome camera led me to order a Q2 Monochrom.  I already own and adore a Q2, but I want to give monochrome shooting a try.  From what I have heard, read and seen, the output from the Q2M is stellar, probably very close, if not quite equal, to that of the M10M.  So why didn't I just get the M?  Frankly, I'm not a rangefinder guy.  In my hands, RF cameras are clumsy, slow and inaccurate.  That's me I'm describing, not the legions of RF lovers.  Anyhow, I can't wait for the Q2M to arrive.  I have not yet broken the news to my wife, but I think she will be OK with it, as long as she doesn't know the price. 😁

BTW, my interchangeable lens camera is a Leica CL paired with some top-notch L and M glass.  The CL is a remarkably fine camera, something that many FF users may find hard to believe.  The fact is that the output is every bit as good as that produced by my (now sold) SL.  Even I was surprised, which is one reason why the SL went bye-bye.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 3

I agonised over this purchase (M10M), as the people on this forum who helped me make my mind up, will agree.

As ever, I ended up spending more than I wanted to and I have not regretted a penny / cent of it.

it really is different, and I am enjoying the opportunities it offers.  I do find the SL2 and the M10M have complementary strengths.  I find walking through the place I want to take photos firstly with the SL2 and then with the M10M has resulted in me seeing different opportunities, dependent upon the camera I have in hand.  It is worth retracing steps in that different mindset.  (My brain is not good enough to allow me to swap between the two every few minutes, better to do one run then the other.)

I tried handheld night photography for the first time the other night.  Was stunned.  In one photograph the M10M picked up a cormorant on a bouy near a boat.  My eyesight had not even picked up the boat, let alone the bouy, let alone the cormorant, all I could see were the half lit office blocks on the other side of the River Thames.

I know I am always learning, the combination of rangefinder and mono makes that learning curve a bit longer, however it rewards hugely along the way.  Keep telling myself to take my damned time.  Compose - Aperture - focus - shoot while keeping an eye on ISO and shutter speed.  That can become Compose - Aperture - Infinity - Shoot - Chimp.  It is so good it can compensate for it’s user being a chump at times.

BTW fully agree with robgo2’s comments about the CL, it is really enjoyable and rewarding to use.

Many thanks to those who helped me make my mind up.  As I said, not regretted a penny / cent.

bobgo2 - hope you enjoy your Q2M, looks a fabulous camera.

Edited by Sjz
  • Like 2

I swapped an M10 and M9M (and a couple of lenses) for the M10M and the original SL once it dropped its piece so dramatically. The SL hardly ever leaves the house and is solely for when I know that colour is essential. The M10M is a joy, whether as a RF (28-90mm) or using the EVF with R or tricky lenses; it's a superlative camera and its monochrome nature makes one see differently.  The SL actually gets so little use that I'm tempted to sell it.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, Keith (M) said:

Congratulations!

Mine arrived in the first week of February and totally seduced me to the extent that my other digital cameras have since been greatly ignored and my film cameras completely untouched - which leaves me feeling guilty at such gross neglect!

I’m in the exact opposite situation - I picked up my very first Hasselblad V and now my digital cameras are sitting at home 😂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 11:00 AM, robgo2 said:

...BTW, my interchangeable lens camera is a Leica CL paired with some top-notch L and M glass.  The CL is a remarkably fine camera, something that many FF users may find hard to believe.  The fact is that the output is every bit as good as that produced by my (now sold) SL.  Even I was surprised, which is one reason why the SL went bye-bye.

You are using the CL w/manual focusing M-glass.  I would think an RF body would be a short distance to manually focusing lenses.  I use both a Q2 and M10D / M9M and am starting to enjoy using a RF.  Focusing is a slower but I'm getting faster with it; it's enjoyable.

Edited by cj3209

I joined the ranks of satisfied (which is an understatement, just don't have the vocabulary to come up with better word) M10M owners.  I traded in my trusty M240. Looking at the images in the M10M image thread, I have a long way to go in improving my black and white photography skills.  Now learning and experimenting with the effects of orange and yellow filter.  Once I master the M10M, then I'll work on my vocabulary!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cj3209 said:

You are using the CL w/manual focusing M-glass.  I would think an RF body would be a short distance to manually focusing lenses.  I use both a Q2 and M10D / M9M and am starting to enjoy using a RF.  Focusing is a slower but I'm getting faster with it; it's enjoyable.

My main lenses on the CL are the autofocus TL-Summicron 23 f/2 and the TL-Summilux 35 f/1.4.  Both are superb.