Jono Slack Review: Leica SL2-S

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I would keep up the my shooting speed in continuous focus, right now in low light it is just pumping, can not ever see a clear image! you have to really trust Leica to get one sharp pix in there.

I'm not sure why you have the need to shoot continuous focus in low light. I selectively only look for correct light (natural light) to pop my subject against a deliberately created dark and blur background like the pics I took below with SL2 on AFC tracking.

stork billed kingfisher 2 - 1010052 by sillbeers15

• Like 13

2 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

I'm not sure why you have the need to shoot continuous focus in low light. I selectively only look for correct light (natural light) to pop my subject against a deliberately created dark and blur background like the pics I took below with SL2 on AFC tracking.

Shooting fashion in golden hour. models slow walking to you. not even that challenging for most cameras. the pictures where mostly focus accurate , but I cold not focus on the face since is was pumping in and out of focus.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, jonoslack said:

More than that, quite a lot of people are already using the SL2 with M lenses, and I think a lot more will find the SL2-S even more attractive. I’ve heard from many saying that they really don’t want 48mp, mainly because of the storage requirements, but also for the heavier processing load.

This might be exactly something that might actually make me switch from my trusty M240 to this new camera. 

But to be honest, all I’m waiting for is long-in-the-making Sigma’s FF X3 (true Foveon) camera

Edited by hexx
  • Like 3

Holy crap, I'm just looking at ISO 100 to 6400 SL2-S and S1 files with the same lens. The SL2-S sensor is way better. Its files show more DR at ISO 100 OOC but there the S1 can keep up since base ISO can be pushed hard in post. But at ISO 6400, the SL2-S sensor pulls ahead for detail and color fidelity. The S1 sensor looks like old tech by comparison. I'll post links to download the RAW files in the thread I started but likely reference them here.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Holy crap, I'm just looking at ISO 100 to 6400 SL2-S and S1 files with the same lens. The SL2-S sensor is way better. Its files show more DR at ISO 100 OOC but there the S1 can keep up since base ISO can be pushed hard in post. But at ISO 6400, the SL2-S sensor pulls ahead for detail and color fidelity. The S1 sensor looks like old tech by comparison. I'll post links to download the RAW files in the thread I started but likely reference them here.

What about S5 vs SL2-S? 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 14 Minuten schrieb helged:

What about S5 vs SL2-S? 

S5 I’ll take out tomorrow with the SL2-S but the only advantage the S5 has over the S1 is less noise at high ISO when the files are pushed. But here I’m talking about detail and color fidelity. Wait till you see. I’ll post the ISO 6400 files in this thread in a bit and then continue tomorrow. This is indeed a brand new sensor. I thought it was just marketing talk. I’ll post a link to download the two files, too. Give me 30 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

stork billed kingfisher 2 - 1010052 by sillbeers15

Nice shot there!

I have to say I’ve not used continuous autofocus much but I can in fact think of uses for it.  A lot of things (including kids) move rapidly whether the light is low or not 🙂

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BernardC said:

Same battery, but a different camera. Here is what the technical data says:

SL2: 1860 mAh (min.), approx. 370 recordings (based on CIPA standard, without EVF);

SL2-S: 1860 mAh (min.); (...) Approx. 510 shots (according to CIPA standard, with auto power-off 10s), approx. 1430 shots (according to CIPA stan-dard, adjusted shooting cycle*, with auto power-off 5s)*Alternating: switch on, one exposure every 3s, switch off after 10 exposures, 5min waiting time; switch on, one exposu-re every 3s, switch off after 50 exposures, 5min waiting time

That's around 30% better, which is significant. Mind you, the SL2 has improved somewhat since it was released, so maybe it would score better with the latest firmware.

The other thing that has changed since the SL2 was released is that we now know that it can be charged/powered via USB, so you can pack a cheap power pack in your bag if you know you will be shooting thousands of exposures (and don't have enough spare batteries).

Don’t see how that will help with 4K video or rapid shooting 

Ok, highjacking Jono's thread just for these two ISO 6400, low-light, high contrast scene shots. The SL2-S files are bigger for a reason. They contain more information and it shows. 

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-VRrRQh/

Look at the boy's tie, the girl's shirt in the middle, and the girl's scarf on the right. Also, notice the green tint in the upper left-hand corner in the S1 picture. It's not a WB thing.

S1 + APO 50 Summicron-SL processed in LR the same, Exposure slightly differently to match and in Topaz DeNoise AI in Low Light mode Remove Noise 13, Enhance Sharpness 27, Recover Original Detail 34. RAW file download here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g524689324-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=HxI2IQbXXdjAs0HMBa9eQMZXfgu230yqdVclhf-qr7Q=

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 6400 f/2.8 @1/4000 sec.

SL2-S + APO 50 Summicron-SL processed in LR the same, Exposure slightly differently to match and in Topaz DeNoise AI in Low Light mode Remove Noise 13, Enhance Sharpness 27, Recover Original Detail 34. DNG file download here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g391720725-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=CtGH_FH3uBLkKSMOKAl0GenbpZNYqu_NeEkP-rDwN7U=ISO 6400 f/2.8 @1/4000 sec.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Thanks 1

Now crops from the unprocessed files. Notice how the SL2--S captures more details in the shadow part of the boy's tie.

S1

SL2-S

Edited by Chaemono
  • Thanks 1

Now crops from the processed files. Who needs 47 MPx? Look at the details in the SL2-S crop.

S1

SL2-S

• Thanks 1

It’s interesting that the reds in the SL2-S skew towards the magenta, but the tans look great, much better, warmer than in the S1 picture where they look too cool. This is my main issue with the S5, too. The SL2-S to me has the best skin tones of any FF camera while one doesn’t need to mess up the reds and make them skew towards orange to achieve that. 

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

Now crops from the processed files. Who needs 47 MPx? Look at the details in the SL2-S crop.

S1

SL2-S

47 MPx allows finer resolution in prints. Thats the main difference. SL2 for landscapes and SL2-S for street, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hillavoider said:

Don’t see how that will help with 4K video or rapid shooting 

To be clear: the battery life figures clearly indicate that the SL2-S is different from the SL2. There is no reason to jump to the conclusion that the SL2-S will have the same power limitations that the SL2 had (with its original firmware).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Really excited about this camera for stills. Just shot the SL2-S and the SL2 side by side with the same lens and I have to say, I like the sharpness of the that 24 MPx sensor, the AWB by the camera, the skin tones and the colors A LOT. Will post them in the thread I started. 

Hi There!

I'm really glad you're enjoying it - nice to see you pleased about a new Leica!

All the very best

Looks like it has better details than the Panasonic. But what about the Moire?

• Like 2