Jono Slack Review: Leica SL2-S

jonoslack

6 minutes ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Lovely write up Jono! As always. 
24MP is indeed the sweet spot for my needs 🥂

Thank you Hari - I think it probably is for lots of people I'm afraid that I've rather been seduced away to the high res side . . I'm trying to compensate by being much stricter with my culling!

• Like 5

Wonderful review! Really interesting to see them branch into this segment of camera. I'm curious to know if you heard anything about accessories with this release – specifically in terms of video accessories/extras (though I understand you mention you aren't "qualified to test video"). Any mention of additional support with external recorders?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Wonderful review! Really interesting to see them branch into this segment of camera. I'm curious to know if you heard anything about accessories with this release – specifically in terms of video accessories/extras (though I understand you mention you aren't "qualified to test video"). Any mention of additional support with external recorders?

Hi There Aaron

Thank You!

I would think it's going to be an attractive proposition for you? The number of weddings I do, I'm happy to work with the SL2 and M10-r. Sorry - I don't know anything about new accessories - might be worth looking on the Leica website?

best

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

On a related note, I wonder if Leica will finally make their LUTs available. It's one thing to provide an internal LUT that works on the rear LCD, but we also need LUTs (or IDTs) for the rest of the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice review Jono, als always! :-)

Leica does not mention anything about sensor-optimization für M lenses (microlenses), but you write both SL2 have the same sensor stack. So:

Thinner sensor-stack and optimized microlenses with the SL/SL2

Thinner sensor-stack with the SL2-S

Edited by Marc Tenner
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

There will be a firmware upgrade in the first part of 2021 which will have improved AF Eye Detection will be coming a little later There will also be a transparent ‘overlay’ function so you can perfectly repeat the alignment of the previous image (hopefully it will come to the SL2 later on).

Perfect, that's all I was waiting for.

• Like 1

What about TL lenses?  On the SL2  you can shoot them and still have 20mp images.  So I like the SL2 for my needs, using Sigma and Panasonice full-frame lenses (and  Laowa 15 f2) and the three Leica Vario's I bought for my CL.  The SL2 with TL lenses is great for casual shooting and gives a nice balanced camera.  I use two SD cards and have it set to record DNG on one and JPEG on the other.  I then download the JPEG files only and see how they look.  If I need more adjustment or more cropping I can download the raw files from the other card.  This minimizes the storage and gives me the  option of RAW on those images I need it for.  So for me the SL2-s doesn't offer anything I dont already have with the SL2 and I would guess is not great with TL lenses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Marc Tenner said:

Nice review Jono, als always! 🙂

Leica does not mention anything about sensor-optimization für M lenses (microlenses), but you write both SL2 have the same sensor stack. So:

Thinner sensor-stack and optimized microlenses with the SL/SL2

Thinner sensor-stack with the SL2-S

HI There Marc

Ias I understood it, the micro lenses are part of the sensor stack - so - identical with the SL2 from a technical point of view until you get to the actual sensor

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cattoo said:

I'm wondering how this will perform for startscape/milky way photography.  I've never been satisfied with the images I've gotten with my SL2.  Too much noise at high iso, and it's difficult to avoid star trails with 47mps.  

Hi there - It isn't something I ever do, but the noise characteristics are quite different (and much better than the SL2). 

Perhaps the reviews of this camera should be titled, "Leica Finally Makes a Pro Sports Camera". I used to shoot pro sports and moved from the Canon 1D series to the Nikon D3 and D4, then to the Sony A7 and A9. If I was still shooting sports I'd now be moving to the SL2-S if the autofocus is good enough.

Edited by bradhusick
  • Like 1