unexpected result, 'Exposure Preview > P-A-S', manual focus, dim lighting

piran

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Typically Exposure Preview works fine wide open. However, when stopped down to say f16 with subject matter in dim lighting, the option 'Exposure Preview > P-A-S' (vice P-A-S-M) should apparently keep the viewing (EVF or LCD) bright. Unexpectedly it doesn't, the view shows as being stopped down. Whereas, with a relatively brighter subject matter scene using f16, the preview stays bright (eg with the no exposure preview setting obeyed for manual focusing). Not easy to explain simply...

Searching - found this in <Leica CL / TL / TL2 / T Forum> circa 2018. I don't see the then described snatched frames stuff but rather that the Q2M just plain stops down which ignores the set option 'Exposure Preview > P-A-S'. Seems to behave as though I had optioned the default 'Exposure Preview > P-A-S-M' or just plain ignores the set option in dim lighting.

Experimented by setting 'Exposure Preview > P-A-S-M' directly in the main menu and also as a thumbwheel option but I imagine they both work as one and the same.

It's really not a biggie but if somebody could confirm this either as a bug/buglet/feature or just that I've misinterpreted how the Q2M firmware should be working 😉 

Edited by piran
typo/eyesight :-| ...P-S-A-M should be P-A-S-M

Hi Piran

please correct as needed, as there are so many variables:

1- camera set in full auto - aperture, shutter, iso and AF

2- spot metering mode, field focus mode, exposure compensation at 0 EV

3- lcd in auto, evf and lcd  brightness & adjustment as defaulted by factory

A- set exposure preview to PASM

B- set exposure preview to PAS

RESULT: should noticed difference in lcd or evf brightness - NEGATIVE for me, no difference noticed in either

Thank you for trying to assess it. I found it complicated to explain so I get that you may have found it difficult to follow🙂 Yes, there's no difference ...the option does not bite or work (?bug?). Perhaps the following is a clearer explanation (though I fear no simpler):-

1) [ Exposure preview defaulted to P-A-S-M ]
* auto focus (spot) target a bright subject...
a) auto focus | f2.0 | halfway shutter press ends with a bright exposure preview
b) auto focus | f16  | halfway shutter press ends with a bright exposure preview
* auto focus target a dark subject...
c) auto focus | f2.0 | halfway shutter press > ends with a bright exposure preview
d) auto focus | f16  | halfway shutter press > ends with a dark exposure preview

2) [ Exposure preview optioned to P-A-S ]
* manually target (spot) a bright subject...
e) manually focus | f2.0 | halfway shutter press ends with a bright exposure preview
f) manually focus  | f16  | halfway shutter press ends with a bright exposure preview
* manually target (spot) a dark subject...
g) manually focus | f2.0 | halfway shutter press > ends with a bright exposure preview
h) manually focus | f16  | halfway shutter press > ends with a DARK exposure preview (?unexpected with P-A-S as it's the same as P-A-S-M?)

The P-A-S option 'appears' to be designed to help with a manual focus exposure preview (bright screen) ...as opposed to being stopped down for exposure preview purposes (AFAIK from reading the manual). However, unexpectedly, it doesn't help manual focus exposure previewing (composing with a bright screen on a dark subject), rather it shows the same dark exposure preview as when set to P-A-S-M. There's no difference. What's the point of the 'option'? Tough to explain ...simply.

But not a biggie 🙂

yeap, it's doing that - just for S&G I set up the iso at 100k, and manual shutter - the preview exposure in M focus PSM is dark - but you can see in the evf or lcd that the exposure compensation scale and histogram are indicating overexposure, despite the screen being dark. The shot taken confirms that was overexposed....

I think is worthy to ask Leica to investigate or explain it better

I am probably misunderstanding the issue here or my Q2 is different. With PASM, ISo 100, f16 and half a second for example in a dull situation the image would be grossly underexposed and this is what I see a dark image. Set to PAS in the same circumstances I see a bright image. My understanding and use of PAS is when using studio flash (strobes) the manual settings needed for the scene which will be strongly illuminated necessarily need prior to that illumination, the EVF LCD to NOT display what the camera settings are but to give a clear view. Hence PAS without the M. That is the EVF LCD will not reflect the M setting. In most other circumstances you need it to reflect the M setting in manual exposure.

Edited by HighlandK
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, HighlandK said:

I am probably misunderstanding the issue here or my Q2 is different. With PASM, ISo 100, f16 and half a second for example in a dull situation the image would be grossly underexposed and this is what I see a dark image. Set to PAS in the same circumstances I see a bright image. My understanding and use of PAS is when using studio flash (strobes) the manual settings needed for the scene which will be strongly illuminated necessarily need prior to that illumination, the EVF LCD to NOT display what the camera settings are but to give a clear view. Hence PAS without the M. That is the EVF LCD will not reflect the M setting. In most other circumstances you need it to reflect the M setting in manual exposure.

Your Q2 is probably different from my Q2M. I don't use flash - studio or otherwise. There doesn't seem to be a point to the option, hence the 'unexpected' in the subject line. I should've duplicated Q2M in the subject line as well as the Q2M tag and the last paragraph ...my fault.

6 hours ago, HighlandK said:

Rereading the original posts they appear to be dealing with auto exposure and manual focus. The focus method is irrelevant. It is all about manual exposure including manual ISO.

Actually the posts appear to be about almost everything but specifically the promised help with manual focus viewing that is not delivered - possibly by a firmware issue/bug or my lack of understanding the manual (PDF and printed).

On 12/10/2020 at 8:58 PM, nwphil said:

yeap, it's doing that - just for S&G I set up the iso at 100k, and manual shutter - the preview exposure in M focus PSM is dark - but you can see in the evf or lcd that the exposure compensation scale and histogram are indicating overexposure, despite the screen being dark. The shot taken confirms that was overexposed....

I think is worthy to ask Leica to investigate or explain it better

Done, filed a bug or support request with Leica AG. No response yet (other than the auto reply).

• Like 1