Which filter works with the 12585 hood?

FrankYuan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone. I recently got my hands on a summicron 50mm v4 that comes with a 12585 hood. Fantastic lens by the way.
But I’m having trouble to use a 39mm thread filter together with the hood. When the filter is threaded on the lens, the hood simply cannot go all the way in, because the filter is blocking the thin edge in the middle of the lens hood, which is narrower than the size of the filter. 

Does anyone have experience using the 12585 hood with filters? Which ones will work with it? I’m using filters for protection of the glass. 

thanks! Frank 

I’ve only used a 12585 on a 35 Summaron. Never had an issue clearing a B+W or Heliopan 39mm filter. 

You have to squeeze the bars on the outside of the hood quite hard to clear the hood and front rim of the lens to clear (and mount securely). One of my hoods is a tighter fit with less clearance, but will still mount perfectly with the right technique. 

just tried my 12585 hood on a variety of lenses & all with 39mm filters attached (Heliopan, Leica & B+W) - 50mm crons x2 version 2 (DR & LTM), Summaron 35 f2.8, 35 ASPH cron vers 1

No issues at all with any of the abovementioned lenses (with attached filters)

What brand of filter are you using (hope it's not a Gobe - if it is you will definitely struggle to apply a hood - I know from personal experience)

Edited by romualdo

2 hours ago, romualdo said:

just tried my 12585 hood on a variety of lenses & all with 39mm filters attached (Heliopan, Leica & B+W) - 50mm crons x2 version 2 (DR & LTM), Summaron 35 f2.8, 35 ASPH cron vers 1

No issues at all with any of the abovementioned lenses (with attached filters)

What brand of filter are you using (hope it's not a Gobe - if it is you will definitely struggle to apply a hood - I know from personal experience)

Thanks for replying. It's a leica filter (13030), so it should normally work.

After another close inspection, I think I found out why it didn't: my lens hood is a bit bent and not perfectly round!

Attaching without the filter won't cause issue, because the edge of the lens won't go further than the tightest middle ring.

3 hours ago, Mute-on said:

I’ve only used a 12585 on a 35 Summaron. Never had an issue clearing a B+W or Heliopan 39mm filter. 

You have to squeeze the bars on the outside of the hood quite hard to clear the hood and front rim of the lens to clear (and mount securely). One of my hoods is a tighter fit with less clearance, but will still mount perfectly with the right technique. 

Thanks for the reply. Turns out my lens hood is bent. I guess I will have to sit on it until it gets better, or simply use it without filter.