Focomat 1c incomplete

StefLindeque

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Long time lurker here, just about to take the plunge into my first enlarger for 35mm.  I've got the opportunity to a Focomat 1c (black head, color drawer) with a v1 Focotar 4.5 50mm. It looks to be missing the two little locating clamps around the helix / focussing mount. My question is, how critical are these? Difficult to tell from the manual and seems impossible to find them loose. Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

They are critical to hold focus  when auto focusing. Not required for manual focus, but somehow you need to stop rotation when stopping down,   You need one for easel height and one for focus on baseboard.

V1 Focotar is not very good as it is optimized for 5X prints. 8x is a struggle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You need just one of these clamps to maintain autofocus in the 2.5x-10x magnification range once the autofocus adjustment is locked in for the paper surface height with the parallelogram assembly set to its column bottom stop. Without it you will need to manually refocus for each change in magnification which you will have to do anyway if making larger size prints or crops.

To prevent upsetting  the focussing helical when adjusting the lens aperture diaphragm insert a wedge made from thin plastic (about 1-2mm thick) filed at one end to a chisel edge between the knurled helical ring and the vertical armature that's closest to it.

I am pretty certain to have one for you: postage from The Netherlands would be what I need . . . send me a pm

In addition to what folks wrote already: you mustn't think this is like auto-focus as we know it from cameras. Printing small sizes, let's say up to 24X30cm, these clips do make sure your focus is okay. Once you have adjusted and fixed them. Going up to 30x40cm and larger I always check focus with the grain focuser, each negative again. It was like that when I began the end of the 70ties and it still is now. For me checking the focus is an automatism. Some don't need to, I don't even think about it and always do. Many times I see it wasn't necessary, sometimes it is.

These clips should come with a tiny lose part, which makes moving them easier when unlocked. It is often missing. Have a look at the attached images.

The clip I show is from a Focomat IIc, it is 4cm long, the clip for the Ic is 3cm long . . .

Michael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!