Jump to content

Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm f/2 ASPH Images


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, Steven said:

When I see these, I dont want anyone to tell me that gear doesnt matter. You cant get this IQ with any Sony. I just received the 35 GM and mounted it on the A1. Sure it can take nice photos. But not in this league. 

Of course gear matters. We know, it they know it. I think some on the forums just like to post that statement to counter-balance the 90% talk about gear on "gear forums" IMO. 

I own the A1 + new GM 35. I just bought the Leica SL2 and waiting for delivery and I've always wanted to try the MTF Monster, the highly regarded 35APO SL which is now on my short list. However if you already own both kits, and have the time, I'd like to see a direct comparison of the respective 35s. In another thread of course. As you now know, the new GM 35 is a stunning lens but we don't have the benefit of real MTFs from Sony like we do with Leica to match MTFs, but from what I see the GM is certainly up there in top IQ. Can it match the master SL 35 APO? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here you are, SL2 with Apo-SL 35/2 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Hi, A couple of examples with the SL1 and the SL 35     Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

SL2 - click to see full res Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

The GM is, f1.4, in a reasonably compact package. The Sony 50mm f1.2 also seems to perform exceptionally, and is much more compact that the Nikkor. Seems like Sony are raising their lens game considerably.

But as Steven  implies, it’s not the mtf that distinguishes lenses at this level, but their rendering, absence of aberrations, and their size. 

Edited by jrp
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Of course gear matters. We know, it they know it. I think some on the forums just like to post that statement to counter-balance the 90% talk about gear on "gear forums" IMO. 

I own the A1 + new GM 35. I just bought the Leica SL2 and waiting for delivery and I've always wanted to try the MTF Monster, the highly regarded 35APO SL which is now on my short list. However if you already own both kits, and have the time, I'd like to see a direct comparison of the respective 35s. In another thread of course. As you now know, the new GM 35 is a stunning lens but we don't have the benefit of real MTFs from Sony like we do with Leica to match MTFs, but from what I see the GM is certainly up there in top IQ. Can it match the master SL 35 APO? 

I don't have the Sony anymore sorry. I sold that kit. 

I can assure you that you won't need a side by side, though, to understand the difference. I could see it from the back of my camera. The 35APO has a 3D pop effect for people that you will never be able to get with Sony. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jrp said:

The GM is, f1.4, in a reasonably compact package. The Sony 50mm f1.2 also seems to perform exceptionally, and is much more compact that the Nikkor. Seems like Sony are raising their lens game considerably.

But as Steven  implies, it’s not the mtf that distinguishes lenses at this level, but their rendering, absence of aberrations, and their size. 

And that is my point. I am very interested to see a real world rendering comparison. One thing to write about or read an MTF, quite another to see direct comparison to IMO really judge.

Edited by LBJ2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steven said:

I don't have the Sony anymore sorry. I sold that kit. 

I can assure you that you won't need a side by side, though, to understand the difference. I could see it from the back of my camera. The 35APO has a 3D pop effect for people that you will never be able to get with Sony. 

Just thought I'd take a chance and ask. I will own and keep one of these lenses for sure. I hope I don't end up with both!  Ha Ha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Just thought I'd take a chance and ask. I will own and keep one of these lenses for sure. I hope I don't end up with both!  Ha Ha. 

When you get Sl APO 35. Could you make the same picture with the two - Sony / Leica - and describe what you think

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Kim Dahl said:

When you get Sl APO 35. Could you make the same picture with the two - Sony / Leica - and describe what you think

Absolutely. Not sure many are walking around with both of these top-shelf kits to compare. The GM 35 is really is an optical and haptic achievement and of course the SL 35 APO is already legendary. Seems like a natural comparison to me for those of us with photography in our blood, particularly for me since I am very happy to shoot both Sony and Leica all day every day. The SL2 however will be my first Leica mirrorless experiment as my other system is Leica M. If I get on with the SL2 ( yet to be delivered) then the SL 35 APO is next on my shopping list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leica SL 601 + APO-Cron-SL 35mm f/2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leica SL 601 + APO-Cron-SL 35mm f/2

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Logon said:

some 35mm apo asph shot on sl2

Gorgeous shots, gorgeous lens,  but now I remember why I returned mine. It’s way too clean for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 4:42 PM, Steven said:

Gorgeous shots, gorgeous lens,  but now I remember why I returned mine. It’s way too clean for me. 

De gustibus non est disputandum

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Steven said:

Tu loqueris ad unum atque unicum verum !

Steven, did you get a chance to compare the M 35/2 APO with the SL 35/2 APO? Any thoughts?

I now have the Sony A1 + GM 35 and the SL2 + SL 35/2 APO. I've been so busy learning the SL2 with M lenses and just recently the 35/2 as my first and only SL AF lens to date, I've not yet managed to perform a comparison between the GM and the SL. I have however, taken several shots of similar content but the natural light is so different too difficult to opine in any meaningful way. Not so cut and dry and certainly not something that can be judged from the back of any camera's LCD as you quipped. But I get the humor. 

Then of course when I do post the comparison someone will comment I did it wrong 🙃🙃 or not a true comparison. We shall see! 

P.S. Not that anyone cares, but I can say I will most certainly be keeping both of these 35s in my bag. 

Edited by LBJ2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Steven, did you get a chance to compare the M 35/2 APO with the SL 35/2 APO? Any thoughts?

I now have the Sony A1 + GM 35 and the SL2 + SL 35/2 APO. I've been so busy learning the SL2 with M lenses and just recently the 35/2 as my first and only SL AF lens to date, I've not yet managed to perform a comparison between the GM and the SL. I have however, taken several shots of similar content but the natural light is so different too difficult to opine in any meaningful way. Not so cut and dry and certainly not something that can be judged from the back of any camera's LCD as you quipped. But I get the humor. 

Then of course when I do post the comparison someone will comment I did it wrong 🙃🙃 or not a true comparison. We shall see! 

P.S. Not that anyone cares, but I can say I will most certainly be keeping both of these 35s in my bag. 

I think the SL lens has more 3D pop effect than the M version. The SL is, to me, more hyper realistic, like the Q2. The M version is very very clean, in a different way. 
 

i personally don’t care to see your side by side of the two lenses. What I care for is your real life impression after some time of using both. Doesn’t even need to be both lenses taking the same photo on the same day. I just care to know which combo gave you the wow effect more often. For me, the SL kit was much more impressing than the A kit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Steven said:

I think the SL lens has more 3D pop effect than the M version. The SL is, to me, more hyper realistic, like the Q2. The M version is very very clean, in a different way...
 

@Steven  I have seen/heard several comments along those lines both in video reviews and on here. 

I am wondering if post processing could account for this, or if it is something Leica did during the design phase of the lens' development.  Was the APO 35 Summicron M lens designed to produce a bit more of a neutral rendering while the APO 35 Summicron was designed to produce a more sharp/contrasty rendering? 

It seems to me that all of Leica's APO lenses would be designed to produce a rendering that is standard across the board - but perhaps not.

Edited by Herr Barnack
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steven said:

I think the SL lens has more 3D pop effect than the M version. The SL is, to me, more hyper realistic, like the Q2. The M version is very very clean, in a different way. 
 

i personally don’t care to see your side by side of the two lenses. What I care for is your real life impression after some time of using both. Doesn’t even need to be both lenses taking the same photo on the same day. I just care to know which combo gave you the wow effect more often. For me, the SL kit was much more impressing than the A kit. 

The request to post side by sides came from someone else earlier in this thread. I should not have included that response in what I wrote to you.

Thank you for your thoughts about M 35 APO vs SL 35 APO.

I just came back from couple hours dragging around the two kits, A1+GM 35 and SL2+SL35. Two very different systems but both lenses are currently the top of their respective systems. No worries, I'll post direct comparison images elsewhere.

Two great lenses! SL 35 Master vs the G Master Ha Ha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LBJ2 said:

The request to post side by sides came from someone else earlier in this thread. I should not have included that response in what I wrote to you.

I know it was not directly addressed to me, and by the way I hope my tone didn't sound rude when I said "I don't care" cause I actually DO care to hear your thoughts on this a lot ! What I  meant is that side by sides, to me, aren't meaningful enough. What really matters is your real world experience. How has it been so far ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Steven said:

I know it was not directly addressed to me, and by the way I hope my tone didn't sound rude when I said "I don't care" cause I actually DO care to hear your thoughts on this a lot ! What I  meant is that side by sides, to me, aren't meaningful enough. What really matters is your real world experience. How has it been so far ? 

The SL2 has been a thrill ride for me to learn. So much I appreciate about the thought that went into the design of this camera and it's intuitive interface.

I've been waiting to own the SL 35/APO since Mister Karbe reveled his thoughts about his SL 35/APO design, during one of the first interviews with Hugh Brownstone. I couldn't be more pleased to finally have the SL2 + 35/APO kit in my own hands! The lens is not at all as large as I had expected and of course the IQ I've seen so far needs more scrutiny because I can't find anything wrong with this lens yet !  

Edited by LBJ2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, Kim Dahl said:

When you get Sl APO 35. Could you make the same picture with the two - Sony / Leica - and describe what you think

The SL Master vs the G Master:

Hello. If you are still interested. I've had the chance to take a large amount of hand held comparison shots yesterday mainly F2 and F5.6 comparisons. Not scientific and I could have done a more detailed effort at equalizing certain settings in both cameras. But I've seen enough on a practical level and deep pixel peep level.

My opinion remains, the SL 35/2 APO is a masterful creation and balances perfectly on the SL2. I am very very happy to own this kit. The GM 35 however, is also right up there in many ways too:

1. The GM can actually appear to be sharper under heavy pixel peeping, but both lenses are very sharp anyway. 

2. Sadly I missed too many shots that I should not have missed with the SL2 + 35/APO. I believe this is due to the SL2's CDAF technology performance in low light and heavy backlite situations ( I believe this is a weakness of CDAF in general) and this is too bad because one of the scenarios I missed too many shots is what I do often with my cameras,  Street events in natural light which can be a challenging light situation anyway without flash. 

3. I was able put both the SL 35 and GM 35 through very highlighted bokeh ball comparisons and the GM appears to be slightly smoother polishing ( less patterned surface), but GM technology is known for this particular asset. 

4. Since I was out in natural light, I don't think I found the best light to truly judge "natural pop" between these two lenses. From what I saw neither really supersede the other in this regard, but again...the light captured in each was not ideal and IMO not optimal for comparison. 

5. This is my third copy of the GM. Sony still suffers from lens QA issues off the line ( like many other manufactureres). The SL 35/2 APO is perfect right out of the box as usual and as expected at the price point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...