Using S2 in 2021

Jlmw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Technician:

New low has been recorded. A guy in my town is selling 2 of his S lenses AND gives 006 away as a present FOR FREE. He tried to sell the body some time ago and I contacted him to get to know how bad is sensor corrosion in his sample... trust me, it's bad. Like unusable even for shooting wide open. Whole sensor area is covered in web. Nobody wanted to buy the camera in such a bad shape, so as an act of desperation he bundles 2 lenses and the camera as the rear lens cap.

Dear All, has anybody investigated whether the 3rd party services with proven capacity to change the sensor cover of corroded Leica M9 sensor (Kolarivision, Jadon Rosado in the US, Advanced Camera Services ACS in the UK) could also be able to change the cover glass of the Leica S2/006 corroded sensor? 

On 1/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, kristyansen said:

Dear All, has anybody investigated whether the 3rd party services with proven capacity to change the sensor cover of corroded Leica M9 sensor (Kolarivision, Jadon Rosado in the US, Advanced Camera Services ACS in the UK) could also be able to change the cover glass of the Leica S2/006 corroded sensor? 

I just asked Jadon about it, he hasn't tried it yet.  If anyone has a spare S2 in poor condition it may worth sending it in to someone just to see if its a viable operation.  While the sensor is similar, I think that the rest of the S2's guts may be sufficiently different from an M9's to be require a bit of a learning curve.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:10 PM, kristyansen said:

I’ve asked Maxmax about converting a corroded S2 to monochrome. They bought an S2 but haven’t got around to playing with it afaik. 

In China there’s a shop that replaces the cover glass (to various degrees of success) for cheap and sells fixed S bodies. But they aren’t always reliable. 

I don’t see why replacement isn’t possible, but the S user base is so small to begin with I suspect it wouldn’t be a priority for a serious shop to investigate the camera and make it a regular service.

As an aside Leica SF sold a corroded 006 a few weeks ago for $850 or so. I assume the corrosion was really bad because they wouldn’t post a sample photo.

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 2:40 PM, Sarnian said:

My 006 was listed as having sensor corrosion but I bought it any way and when it arrived I found that it only had 6 spots which I can Photoshop out in around 6 seconds!

Does anyone know if the 6 sensor corrosion spots are bound to increase with time or will 6 stay as 6?

Thanks

It likely will continue. I've had two Kodak SLR/n cameras that had sensor corrosion. Both started with a couple of spots and eventualy more appeared. One no longer can take an image.

• 3 months later...

Taken with the Leica S2 30-90mm Vario Elmar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Technician said:

Do such S2s even exist, that haven't been affected by this issue at this point (2021)?

That's doubtful. You'd best get the serial number and e-mail Leica Customer Services (Customer.Care@leica-camera.com) to ask if it's had the sensor replaced. They usually reply within a day or two so it's worthwhile doing for peace of mind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 3:30 AM, Technician said:

Eyeing the S2 at a reasonable price at my country's local craigslist. Whose S2 had not any issue with sensor corrosion? Do such S2s even exist, that haven't been affected by this issue at this point (2021)?

I’d just like to say that mine hasn’t suffered from corrosion issues!

however! Unfortunately, I did drop my S2 onto my bed from a height of about 3-4 inches and it landed on my very fluffy duvet. And the sensor glass is now cracked. Leica gave me an estimate cost of 4000USD😭

it is truly disappointing in that aspect though. Doesn’t sound very “all-weather” and “sturdy” 

But what can I say. I should’ve been more careful. I should’ve put it gentle on the bed. And it’s a very expensive lesson. 

I’m still wondering if I should get another S2 or S006 or pay the repair cost. 

• Like 1

That sounds like a freak accident, or some sort of "straw that broke the camel's back" scenario. I had my S2 for two years and my S006 for six years and in that time I tossed them onto soft surfaces like couches and beds a number of times. I used it in all weather and difficult conditions here in Iceland for years without an issue. It certainly is a sturdy camera. If it happened as you describe, then I have to believe it was some sort of stress fracture that had been caused by something else, and was finally activated by landing on the bed. But honestly, putting it down on a table should be more impactful than letting it drop on a soft bed from three or four inches. Are you absolutely sure that it occurred at that exact moment? It seems more likely that it had a harder impact that you might not have realized...

• Like 1

I have had my S2 for almost eight years now and it still works with any major issues. I do use it as ofter as I can (with a backpack) and it's been on many of my trips with harsh weather conditions. I always try to clean the electronic lens mount contacts after every outings (when I change multiple lenses). I have not seen any sensor corrosion yet (both my M9 and MM suffered the corrosion problems). I use it a bit less this year since I got a S007 now. But amount my S2 and S007, I still prefer the color of S2 when the light condition is sufficient. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

That sounds like a freak accident, or some sort of "straw that broke the camel's back" scenario. I had my S2 for two years and my S006 for six years and in that time I tossed them onto soft surfaces like couches and beds a number of times. I used it in all weather and difficult conditions here in Iceland for years without an issue. It certainly is a sturdy camera. If it happened as you describe, then I have to believe it was some sort of stress fracture that had been caused by something else, and was finally activated by landing on the bed. But honestly, putting it down on a table should be more impactful than letting it drop on a soft bed from three or four inches. Are you absolutely sure that it occurred at that exact moment? It seems more likely that it had a harder impact that you might not have realized...

I’m pretty certain that was the cause of it as I’ve had zero knocks ever. Not a single scratch/dent at all. Unless someone knocked it without my knowledge(could my wife be secretly using the S2 behind my back? Haha!) 

Well that was the one time that I dropped the camera and have since discovered that cracked sensor glass. So I assumed it was then. I’ve never dropped it otherwise. I guess it’s like a phone isn’t it? Dropping the phone may or may not crack the glass, depending on which angle hits the ground. 
But I digress. Let’s see what Leica says when they get back to me with the quote. 

8 hours ago, ocean2059 said:

I have had my S2 for almost eight years now and it still works with any major issues. I do use it as ofter as I can (with a backpack) and it's been on many of my trips with harsh weather conditions. I always try to clean the electronic lens mount contacts after every outings (when I change multiple lenses). I have not seen any sensor corrosion yet (both my M9 and MM suffered the corrosion problems). I use it a bit less this year since I got a S007 now. But amount my S2 and S007, I still prefer the color of S2 when the light condition is sufficient. 

Certainly! The S2 is perfect! Been using it since 09’ and yes the colors are superb if(and that’s a big IF, the lighting is good)

I too grabbed a 007 this year. While it’s more flexible in terms of shooting in load light, it’s a little less impactful in terms of colors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 3:40 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

My old S2’s sensor cover glass also cracked, without the camera having been dropped or abused. Best I could tell the reason was it was just pressed up against other gear in a padded lowepro backpack. When I got home somehow all four corners of the glass had cracked.

On 8/19/2021 at 5:29 PM, shanefking said:

Has anyone heard any leads regarding a corroded sensor glass replacement service?

The only people I know who actually offer this service are an adventurous and not always successful artisanal shop in China. They sell repaired CCD S bodies on the Chinese internet and the reviews are mixed.

I was in touch with Maxmax.com about repairing a corroded S sensor or turning it monochrome. They then went and bought an S2 but I believe haven’t really investigated repairing it. I doubt the S the market is big enough for them to make the investment. Perhaps if enough people inquire about it it will start to make business sense.

Oh and Leica replaces sensors too.

Edited by alan.y
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alan.y said:

I doubt the S the market is big enough for them to make the investment. Perhaps if enough people inquire about it it will start to make business sense.

Oh and Leica replaces sensors too.

Thanks Alan, you make a good point.

I was under the impression that Leica had ceased replacing S2 sensors.