Using S2 in 2021

Jlmw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys! Been a long time stalker but only posting my first topic on this forum.

I’ve had an S2 all these years since it’s come out but recently found that the glass on top of the sensor has cracked. So every picture taken now has the curved line stretching from the top to bottom of each photo😭

I still love the rendition of the S2 combined with the S lenses. I’ve been wanting to get a new camera as the screen resolution and button layout is not user friendly. 

But I must say! I can make do it those because the photos makes up for it. And of course the cost of an S3 is truly quite... ridiculous.

So question! Is it still worth repairing the S2 as I’ve heard the sensor replacement is very expensive. Or should I just get an SL2. I’m afraid I won’t like the SL2 with the adaptor though. 

Another option is a clean used S007, which one can find near the cost of a new SL2 (and don’t forget the S/SL adapter, which isn’t cheap).  Don’t know repair cost, or trade value, if any, for damaged S2. An S006 would of course cost even less, if you prefer CCD.  Through a reputable Leica dealer with warranty, of course.  Plenty of folks here still like and use older S bodies.  

Out of curiosity, do your S lenses have new AF motors?  If not, that’s another potential expense, and hassle.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply Jeff!

I’ve been searching the used market for a while and it seems nobody in my area are selling theirs! Either that or nobody’s on the S system anymore.

Or everyone is so in love with it nobody wants to sell them on the used market😂

with regards to the lenses, no! Surprisingly the 3 S lenses I have are all on the old AF motors. However, none of them have broken down yet. Which is a pleasant surprise! I’ve even updated them to the new firmware this year by mounting them on an 007 at the Leica store. And no issues at all. So very happy about that. 

Although comes the second issue of my lenses all being slightly back-focused. For whatever reason. So I’m hoping that a new body/repaired S2 sensor would get rid of that problem for me.

:)

8 hours ago, Jlmw said:

Thanks for your reply Jeff!

I’ve been searching the used market for a while and it seems nobody in my area are selling theirs! Either that or nobody’s on the S system anymore.

Or everyone is so in love with it nobody wants to sell them on the used market😂

with regards to the lenses, no! Surprisingly the 3 S lenses I have are all on the old AF motors. However, none of them have broken down yet. Which is a pleasant surprise! I’ve even updated them to the new firmware this year by mounting them on an 007 at the Leica store. And no issues at all. So very happy about that. 

Although comes the second issue of my lenses all being slightly back-focused. For whatever reason. So I’m hoping that a new body/repaired S2 sensor would get rid of that problem for me.

:)

Don’t know where you’re located, but if in the US, two reputable dealers that regularly handle S gear are Leica Miami and Camera West.  They ship across US.

Jeff

The S006 is really the only replacement for the S2, in my mind. The S007 and S3 have a different feel to the files. Personally, I still prefer the look of the earlier bodies. If you want to get out of the S system, I think the SL2 has the closest color match, and it is a superb camera to work with, though using an EVF is an adjustment, and a handicap in certain situations, For example, shooting at night, using flash with the camera in M etc. Basically, any time when you want to look through the VF and have a clear view in a lighting situation that does not suit EVF well, such as very bright light or very low light, or when your settings are extreme (like exposing for the highlights and having deep shadows etc, where the range of the human eye is a lot greater than the EVF can display. You may be able to pull up the shadows in post and make them look fine, but they will be black in the EVF, and that can make it harder to compose than it is with an OVF.)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same issue for me last year, several dealers quoted (from past experience) $4000.  Leica has company owned stores such as the Leica Los Angeles, I've had good luck getting lens motors repaired and bodies fixed through them, normally done on a quote basis.  Btw- I love my S2, it is slow, it is older technology, it's a hefty beast, the imaging is so beautiful and as relevant today as it was when introduced.  

I see! Yes it’s true that the 006 and S2 CCD renders beautiful pictures. Just felt like GAS and time for an “upgrade” after all these years. Would the 006 be a lot of difference in performance over the S2? I would think you guys would agree that the display is really outdated. I guess I could make do with that though. After all... it’s been many years that I’ve been relying on that display.

does the SL2 really match the S colors? If so I may be tempted to get it instead!

The price alone for S3... phew... 😂 I truly do not understand.... who in the world are buying these cameras! Sure if you make money of them then it’s fine as an investment... whereas ordinary folks like me who have jobs where photography is completely unrelated and doesn’t bring any income.... just wow. 

The launch prices for the S2, S006 and S007 were actually higher than the intro price for the S3. The S2, for instance, debuted at $22,995. It didn’t take long, though, for deep discounts once Pentax, and later Fuji and Hasselblad, entered the scene at much lower prices, not to mention the AF motor debacle, changing industry dynamics, etc.  S system bargains abound these days for those willing to jump on the wagon.  Not so good for sellers.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

My second digital medium format camera is Leica S006, first being Pentax 645D. Was quite happy with it, and never had the AF issue on the first body with the older firmware. Then Sold it for going to Alpa + Digital back. And got back to another S006 after 2 year, and this time around, it is plagued with issues such as dead pixel that need remapping but couldn't do it remotely from Leica Wetzlar, AF motor starting to break...

The files from these are very good though, and now I think is low enough price to go back into it for the S006 (about 2500~3000USD here in Shanghai). It's still a very good camera, cause most of the issue known is fixable, maybe except the rare corrosion on the CCD sensor cover.

1 hour ago, kristyansen said:

Are the S2 cameras still easily repairable by Leica?  

For example, since the CCD sensors for the M9 are not being produced anymore, what would happen if the S2 / S006 sensor corroded or had an issue?

If at all repairable, what costs to expect?

Yes, Leica charge EUR 2,400.00 plus VAT (if applicable).

Leica's charges for fitting a new autofocus motor in a S lens are very reasonable (£ 213.00 including return postage). I recently bought a Summarit 70mm CS lens that had a broken AF motor for £858.71 and then I sent it to Leica to get a new AF motor fitted. With the various postage costs added on I've still come away with a Mint condition Summarit 70mm CS lens for £1,120.00. 👍

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In speaking to Leica, I got the sense that they can still replace the sensors at the moment, but they only have a limited number of replacement sensors, and it is anyone's guess as to when they run out. If you intend to shoot the S2 and are concerned about the sensor, it probably makes sense to get a body which has had the replacement, or see if you can get it replaced. Of course, it is expensive, so perhaps the more sensible choice is to just try your luck...

43 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Of course, it is expensive, so perhaps the more sensible choice is to just try your luck...

My 006 was listed as having sensor corrosion but I bought it any way and when it arrived I found that it only had 6 spots which I can Photoshop out in around 6 seconds!

Does anyone know if the 6 sensor corrosion spots are bound to increase with time or will 6 stay as 6?

Thanks

Would the price for a used S2 with replaced sensor be much more expensive than one without? An official Leica Store in Switzerland sells an S2-P with replaced sensor for USD 5600 USD (body only, 1 year warranty) to compare they also have a used S007 for USD 11200 (body only, 1 year warranty). 

4 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

In speaking to Leica, I got the sense that they can still replace the sensors at the moment, but they only have a limited number of replacement sensors, and it is anyone's guess as to when they run out. If you intend to shoot the S2 and are concerned about the sensor, it probably makes sense to get a body which has had the replacement, or see if you can get it replaced. Of course, it is expensive, so perhaps the more sensible choice is to just try your luck...

This makes a valid point. The viability of using the S2 over the years to come. And to be honest, my S2 has been perfect. Been using it since 2008/2009 when it came out. Zero issues. Unfortunately, 2020 never ceases to laugh at me  with covid happening and by cracking the glass on the sensor and now I’ve got to repair it.

If all goes well and 2020 doesn’t repeat itself in the years to come, I hope to get another 10 years with the S2. Otherwise, I might consider 007 should there be any good deals around:) 

i wonder if many are upgrading to S3 and dumping 007 though..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kristyansen said:

Would the price for a used S2 with replaced sensor be much more expensive than one without? An official Leica Store in Switzerland sells an S2-P with replaced sensor for USD 5600 USD (body only, 1 year warranty) to compare they also have a used S007 for USD 11200 (body only, 1 year warranty). 

Those prices are roughly double used bodies at reputable dealers in the US like Leica Miami (all of which have replaced sensors; some with recent CLA and Leica warranty... although mostly S007, and occasionally S006).

Jeff

10 hours ago, kristyansen said:

You can get a refurbished 007 direct from Leica in Wetzlar for EUR 6,900 (inclusive of VAT). I'd definitely get one direct from Leica as they would have given it a thorough check-up - including the all important sensor calibration. 

I have the same problem... My S2-P has the sensor corrosion issue and deep down I really want the S2/S006 color and overall image look, but I find it difficult to find an S006 to buy with the new sensor at a reasonable price. I can find an S-007 but somehow when I tested one I did not get the same feeling from the files, but it was definitely much more flexible to use. Of course one option is to send my S2-P to Germany to fix but I am waiting for Brexit now to happen and see of any effects... This color difference between S2/S006 files and S007 files is so subtle that sometimes I wonder if I have this bias because S2-P was my first "medium" format camera and I connected with it at an emotional level...

Edited by Daedalus2000