Using S2 in 2021

Jlmw

On 1/8/2021 at 7:54 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

(the S-E) is basically just an S006 with a different paint job and fewer accessories in the box.

The S-E had a 1-year warranty (instead of 3 years), and came without the HDMI and USB cables. Other than that, and the different finish, it is an S-006.

The warranty is probably expired, and the HDMI cable has little utility on a non-video camera. The proprietary USB, however, is needed for tethering.

In other words, the S-E and S-006 should sell around the same price on the used market. Some people may absolutely want the USB for studio work, in which case they should look for an S-006 "with all accessories."

• Thanks 1

Well thanks to Sarnian I managed to find a used S2-P that had the new sensor at a reasonable price. The sensor came with some dust which I cleaned (partially only as it was the first time I cleaned a sensor) and today I took the S2-P out for a spin. I realized again why I loved this camera when I used it many years ago for the first time.. Nice grip, wonderful shutter sound and now after all these years of using mirrorless cameras it gave me a different experience, a simple one one that forces you to slow down, think about the picture and enjoy the process of engaging with the subject (or world around you). I was worried to spend money on the S system but I really enjoyed using it today. 

I will write more thoughts when I use it for longer, but to me it gives a great experience and engagement and it feels like a digital "film camera" if that makes sense, as it has limited iso capability, but it gives wonderful color. A kind of color that feels like a specific film stock, one that can be soft, but also vibrant with nice tonal transitions. The limited iso is not a problem for me because I will not use this camera in low light situations and also with today's software noise can be managed well.

And, when I can get color like the one below (sorry for the boring image) on a very overcast day, at ISO 640, using only the Adobe Color profile, with no extra saturation added, I am happy and I look forward to enjoying using my new S. Depth of field is limited because I was using f2.5 to get as much light as possible.

I still have my old S2-P with the sensor that has corrosion so who knows I may also exchange it for an S 007 at some point and have also an S with better high ISO performance. It will be interesting to be able to compare them.

Thanks again to the community for the help and the advice and I look forward to contributing again a little bit 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And I have to add, although I am not in B/W pics these days, the S2-P also gives very nice BW conversions that show nice tonality. Again apologies for the small depth of field, these are all test images in a moody day with overcast skies...

Edited by Daedalus2000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, aksclix said:

I like the grip on S2 than the S 006.. it’s too slippery! It was terribly important for me to be able to review images in the lcd and I simply couldn’t appreciate the ancient lcd on S2 😏 otherwise it’s killer 

That is true. As I said "film camera" , i.e. no preview should be expected haha 😀

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 8:55 PM, Daedalus2000 said:

Well thanks to Sarnian I managed to find a used S2-P that had the new sensor at a reasonable price.

The universe rewarded me by pointing me to an APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5 ASPH (with a new auto focus motor) for only £1,755. 🙂

• Like 2

With some winter sunshine and no COVID restrictions here on Guernsey I took my new 120 Summarit Macro out for a walk. 

@ f2.5

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 7

Waiting for Summer

@ f6.8

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Sarnian said:

With some winter sunshine and no COVID restrictions here on Guernsey I took my new 120 Summarit Macro out for a walk. 

@ f2.5

Fantastic! Look at this color (on this pic and the other one you posted) and the wonderful lens rendering.

Now that I started using the S system again I realize that there is something special about the lenses as well. The way they handle light, especially at the highlights, the transitions of in focus to out of focus, the natural sharpness they give.. I wish I could express all that in proper technical terms, but unfortunately I cannot..

• Like 2

The APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5 ASPH is an amazing lens. I've never owned a lens before that performs so well wide open! Incredible. This is good news for S2 or 006 users like myself as it means that in a situation where shallow DOF isn't required I can use f2.5 and still get an amazingly sharp landscape image even if it's not the most ideal light conditions. 

• Like 4

This was taken with the S-006 and the S 120mm 

It’s cauliflower topping on a pizza

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, Sarnian said:

The APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5 ASPH is an amazing lens. I've never owned a lens before that performs so well wide open! Incredible. This is good news for S2 or 006 users like myself as it means that in a situation where shallow DOF isn't required I can use f2.5 and still get an amazingly sharp landscape image even if it's not the most ideal light conditions. 

I've re-discovered another plus to using f2.5. If your S2/006 has sensor corrosion spots using a large aperture means that the spots don't show up in your images (although I do notice more CA at f2.5). 👍

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 1

New low has been recorded. A guy in my town is selling 2 of his S lenses AND gives 006 away as a present FOR FREE. He tried to sell the body some time ago and I contacted him to get to know how bad is sensor corrosion in his sample... trust me, it's bad. Like unusable even for shooting wide open. Whole sensor area is covered in web. Nobody wanted to buy the camera in such a bad shape, so as an act of desperation he bundles 2 lenses and the camera as the rear lens cap.

Edited by Technician

4 hours ago, Technician said:

New low has been recorded. A guy in my town is selling 2 of his S lenses AND gives 006 away as a present FOR FREE. He tried to sell the body some time ago and I contacted him to get to know how bad is sensor corrosion in his sample... trust me, it's bad. Like unusable even for shooting wide open. Whole sensor area is covered in web. Nobody wanted to buy the camera in such a bad shape, so as an act of desperation he bundles 2 lenses and the camera as the rear lens cap.

Well, actually there is some value in a camera like this, because it can be used to do an upgrade from Leica to S007 or S3. I am not sure about the S3 option anymore, but I contacted Leica and they gave me a discount if I gave them my old S2. Still the money was too much for me, but I may use it to get an S007. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Technician said:

Modular systems are starting make more and more sense to me.. 🤔