Using S2 in 2021

Jlmw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there a way to know if my S 120 lens had its motor replaced? It works without any issues on my SL2 with the Leica adapter.. does that indirectly mean the motor was replaced or is there no such guarantee? If I called Leica and shared the lens’ serial number, will they be able to tell me if this piece had a replaced motor?

1 hour ago, aksclix said:

Is there a way to know if my S 120 lens had its motor replaced? It works without any issues on my SL2 with the Leica adapter.. does that indirectly mean the motor was replaced or is there no such guarantee? If I called Leica and shared the lens’ serial number, will they be able to tell me if this piece had a replaced motor?

I would think Leica would have a record of replacement by serial number.  

While the S120 may be a tad slower to focus on the SL, it is nonetheless a remarkable lens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aksclix said:

As @ropo54 states, you can send Leica customer service an e-mail with the lens' serial number: Customer.Care@leica-camera.com. Outside holidays and now Corona, you can expect to get a response within a few days. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 10:02 AM, Daedalus2000 said:

I have the same problem... My S2-P has the sensor corrosion issue and deep down I really want the S2/S006 color and overall image look, but I find it difficult to find an S006 to buy with the new sensor at a reasonable price. I can find an S-007 but somehow when I tested one I did not get the same feeling from the files, but it was definitely much more flexible to use. Of course one option is to send my S2-P to Germany to fix but I am waiting for Brexit now to happen and see of any effects... This color difference between S2/S006 files and S007 files is so subtle that sometimes I wonder if I have this bias because S2-P was my first "medium" format camera and I connected with it at an emotional level...

There’s a couple of them in mpb.com in excellent condition.. maybe you could buy have them tested at Leica store and return within a week if you’re not sure 

On 12/23/2020 at 3:40 AM, Sarnian said:

My 006 was listed as having sensor corrosion but I bought it any way and when it arrived I found that it only had 6 spots which I can Photoshop out in around 6 seconds!

Does anyone know if the 6 sensor corrosion spots are bound to increase with time or will 6 stay as 6?

Thanks

It will increase as the coating on the protective glass start to deteriorate over time.

On 1/5/2021 at 6:14 AM, aksclix said:

There’s a couple of them in mpb.com in excellent condition.. maybe you could buy have them tested at Leica store and return within a week if you’re not sure 

Thank you, I am in the UK, I only see one S2-P and tbh even if it is good now, it can fail in the future and then I will have to pay a lot to fix it. If I find an S006 with a new sensor I may consider it

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Thank you, I am in the UK, I only see one S2-P and tbh even if it is good now, it can fail in the future and then I will have to pay a lot to fix it. If I find an S006 with a new sensor I may consider it

I've already asked Leica about this S2-P (SKU:1082164) and it had its sensor replaced in 2017. This new sensor shouldn't give you any problems in the future. 

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarnian said:

There's a used S-E on mpb.com (U.S.): Used Leica S-E (Typ 006) (mpb.com) $3,899 works out at £2,861. Check with Leica first, though, to see if it has a new sensor. 

I saw that too but isn’t S-E supposed to be inferior to regular S typ 006? Thought E stood for entry level.. and the price seemed much higher.. I got an s006 from sf Leica store.. the display is a relief and AFseems much faster than S2

24 minutes ago, aksclix said:

I saw that too but isn’t S-E supposed to be inferior to regular S typ 006? Thought E stood for entry level.. and the price seemed much higher.. I got an s006 from sf Leica store.. the display is a relief and AFseems much faster than S2

The S-E typ 006 is the same as the S006 AFAIK except for the anthracite colored top deck and the silver anodized shutter dial.  It was priced a bit less than the S006 at launch.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

The S-E typ 006 is the same as the S006 AFAIK except for the anthracite colored top deck and the silver anodized shutter dial.  It was priced a bit less than the S006 at launch.

Jeff

I see.. I wonder why it’s priced pretty high in mpb though 

On 1/7/2021 at 4:26 AM, aksclix said:

I see.. I wonder why it’s priced pretty high in mpb though 

The SE is newer and probably fewer of them out there, so it might be higher priced. But it is basically just an S006 with a different paint job and fewer accessories in the box. It was released after the S007, presumably to clear stock of the CCDs and to provide a lower priced entry point to the S system than the 007. Leica does this frequently. Basically, you either get a monochrome, SE or MP model using most of the same components of the main body and selling it at either a higher price (MP and monochrome) or the SE at a lower price. They make the body look different to give it a signifier that it is the "cheap" model, as they don't want to just discount the normal body and make it look less "luxury" in the eyes of buyers. Sometimes they remove a few minor features. But it is all the same quality gear with the same components. The only reason an MP or Monochrome costs significantly more than an SE is market positioning.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

The SE is newer and probably fewer of them out there, so it might be higher priced. But it is basically just an S006 with a different paint job and fewer accessories in the box. It was released after the S007, presumably to clear stock of the CCDs and to provide a lower priced entry point to the S system than the 007. Leica does this frequently. Basically, you either get a monochrome, SE or MP model using most of the same components of the main body and selling it at either a higher price (MP and monochrome) or the SE at a lower price. They make the body look different to give it a signifier that it is the "cheap" model, as they don't want to just discount the normal body and make it look less "luxury" in the eyes of buyers. Sometimes they remove a few minor features. But it is all the same quality gear with the same components. The only reason an MP or Monochrome costs significantly more than an SE is market positioning.

Except for the M10 Monochrom, which featured an all new sensor (different from the M10 sensor), derived from S3 sensor architecture.  

Jeff

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I see.. I prefer the all black look.. I got my S006 and Leica customer care even confirmed it has a new sensor :)

Edited by aksclix