M10-M Overheating?

rgeorge911

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was just using my M10-M with Live View over a period of ~45 minutes, display on the whole time, much of that with the shutter button half-pressed.  

All of a sudden, I could not turn off Live View.  Back buttons stopped responding.  Still had ~50% battery power, so that wasn't it.  

Let it (and myself!) cool down, and it's operating normally now.

Anyone else have this experience?  Is it unreasonable to use Live View for 30-45 minutes?  Was waiting for a moment, and it didn't seem unreasonable.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Am 7.12.2020 um 03:04 schrieb rgeorge911:

Was just using my M10-M with Live View over a period of ~45 minutes, display on the whole time, much of that with the shutter button half-pressed.  

All of a sudden, I could not turn off Live View.  Back buttons stopped responding.  Still had ~50% battery power, so that wasn't it.  

Let it (and myself!) cool down, and it's operating normally now.

Anyone else have this experience?  Is it unreasonable to use Live View for 30-45 minutes?  Was waiting for a moment, and it didn't seem unreasonable.

In *hot, sunny* (!) days, both "Main Menu > Display/EVF Brightness"=AUTOMATIC settings boost the Display/EVF brightness to the max, so the extensive use of LiveView leads to heat development -better said- heat jam inside the camera body, that is almost 100 years old design, i.e not optimized for heat dissipation, especially for the current high performance CPU of the M10. Hence, the heat resides and adds up in the M body. What happens with overheated computer hardware is known to everybody, I think: the software crashes :-) A high ambient temperature, a leather case and warm hands further increase this kind of heat issue. 

Please try "Main Menu > Display Brightness"=LOW and "Main Menu > EVF Brightness""=LOW, by reducing the Live/EVF usage of our beloved rangefinder camera to a minimum. And the issue is gone 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eliet said:

In *hot, sunny* (!) days, both "Main Menu > Display/EVF Brightness"=AUTOMATIC settings boost the Display/EVF brightness to the max, so the extensive use of LiveView leads to heat development -better said- heat jam inside the camera body, that is almost 100 years old design, i.e not optimized for heat dissipation, especially for the current high performance CPU of the M10. Hence, the heat resides and adds up in the M body. What happens with overheated computer hardware is known to everybody, I think: the software crashes :-) A high ambient temperature, a leather case and warm hands further increase this kind of heat issue. 

Please try "Main Menu > Display Brightness"=LOW and "Main Menu > EVF Brightness""=LOW, by reducing the Live/EVF usage of our beloved rangefinder camera to a minimum. And the issue is gone 🙂

One step further, I switch them off and never had an overheating problem.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Eliet said:

It is 100 year old design and has been copied by everybody else since.  Comparing digital RF with modern Full Frame mirrorless which are similar in body size/volume (Canon, Nikon and Sony) which work in EVF/live view only it beggars belief that M camera still overheat despite all the brass and other metal which is ideal heat conductor/dissipator while the mirrorless seem never to overheat in still modes, some do in video modes but that is something that Leica does not provide since M240.

Respectfully, the problem is not the size of M body but electronics design that is lagging its mirrorless counterparts. Typical ILC (mirrorless);perform far more processing than RF.  While RF only need to run EVF (as an option) and write to memory card at slow frame rate the ILC is generating EVF or live-view picture constantly, there is also autofocus which require significant processing and option to shoot high frame rates, some models come with options to write to two memory cards, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, overexposed said:

I think i never used live view for that long, but could feel the M10M was warming up quickly in summer days, so did my Sony A7RII, couldnt use it for half an hour or so

Perhaps Sony in question is not the best comparison, A7RII is second generation from 2014/15, the M10M is latest from 2020. Those five years should make difference in consumer electronics unless M10M uses A7RII innards or similar vintage electronics.

Plus, Sony was always about impressive specifications on paper and better not say much more to avoid offending many who use the brand.

When the M240 was the current model the complaint by some was that it was thicker than a film M.  Leica listened - the M10 is significantly thinner and everyone was happy. Except it takes a smaller battery and can overheat.  Certainly the march of technology will correct that in the M11, but this is another example of "be careful of what you wish for ..."

• Like 1

Am 20.9.2021 um 11:22 schrieb Eliet:

OMG. I think, now I know. Look the link below. The Maestro-II CPU and the display are sitting next to the SD card slot (and warm it up).

https://www.photoscala.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Leica_M10_Schnitt.jpg

Question: is there any SD card type that can resist this heat better than others? I have started using  "Sandisk Extreme Pro"...Let´s hope the best.

• Like 1