If you have both: when and why 50 APO or Summilux?

Robert Blanko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a lucky owner of a 0,95/50, 1,4/50 FLE and 2,0/50 APO, I would always choose the APO for its performance and size - even if it lacks 1-2 stops, it is able to compensate with a fantastic 3D-look thanks to a strong decline of contrast beyond the focal plane. 

• Like 2

This is one of those questions that if you doubt your Summilux then Leica have their accounts department open for business. If you are going to use each lens in perfect conditions and on a tripod for perfect quality just open your wallet for technical perfection with the Apo. If not the Summilux will be more versatile and also look more natural and not like a hideous optical version of a USM filter. You have 'taste' and you have the 'Apo', which Chef do you trust?

Edited by 250swb

About 5 years ago I did a trade that involved getting rid of a 0.95 Noctilux for a 50 APO Summicron. At the time I had a 1.4 Summilux as well.

An American lady, who was a forum member at the time, asked for comparisons of the 1.4 Summilux versus the APO Summicron. The only fair way I could do that was to mount my M240-P on a tripod and use a flash. Otherwise the light could change and the position could differ. I then took shots from f/1.4 to f/11 using the Summilux, swapped lenses, and took shots from f/2 to f/11 on the Summicron. Without revealing which were which, I asked the rather pedantic lady to do a blind tasting, so to speak.

She replied that the shots taken across all apertures were better from one of the lenses. All were deemed by her to be clearer and better defined with the APO Summicron.

All I did was photograph a tea caddy in my kitchen. Same light, same position, same focus. 

I posted about this experiment on here ages ago. Because Google got annoying about my use of Google Photos I deleted all the files.

Subsequently I sold the 1.4 Summilux for more than it had cost me. The purchaser still has it and is happy with it. 

In summary, both the APO Summicron and 1.4 Summilux are very good lenses. I prefer the APO Summicron but I took some great photos with the Summilux. The Noctilux was a nightmare. If you can afford the APO Summicron it is wonderful. If you can't afford the APO Summicron then go for the 1.4 Summilux and forget the 0.95 Noctilux unless you are a weightlifter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I tend to stand for evikne & Peter Kilmister's comments above.

Perhaps the APO is more than suitable for close-range studio-grade photography under the strong vignetting backlight(studio-lights) source circumstance. In the meanwhile, APO also done well in the nature light condition as well.

And the Lux is versatile and powerful for available light provision base on aesthetics and fulfills the lifestyle photography.

Both lenses are great according to my experience.

And the APO render better result sometimes(for instance, with M10-P/M10M combination) on the B/W portrait photography.

Ref. URL:

Edited by Erato

vor 15 Stunden schrieb astrostl:

I would propose looking at professional reviews (DigLloyd, ReidReviews, etc.) who have taken many more than two pictures in controlled settings and post them uncompressed.

That is what I proposed: See post 12

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 15 Stunden schrieb 80_20:

As a lucky owner of a 0,95/50, 1,4/50 FLE and 2,0/50 APO, I would always choose the APO for its performance and size - even if it lacks 1-2 stops, it is able to compensate with a fantastic 3D-look thanks to a strong decline of contrast beyond the focal plane. 

3D-look. Oh, I see. Sorry that is sarcastic 👹

I would be interested to see a typical example that would not be 3D with another lens.

I am using my M10 for landscape, hiking, travel etc. What does an APO help? I can not see advantages for my situation (I use mostly the wonderful Summarit if I use 50mm at all). But I agree that there are other situations where the APO makes a difference. If it is only imaginary it does actually not matter for people who like to use it. The APO is a lens to me that show the ultimate possible. But I said it several times: I do not see that with my own eyes in a way that it would matter.

Edited by M10 for me
  • Like 1

vor 33 Minuten schrieb Lelmer:

Question is...is there anything to see? 🙂

yes of course: look at post #21: There you can learn:

"fantastic 3D-look thanks to a strong decline of contrast beyond the focal plane"

But I must say that I do not believe in that. Any lens can crate such an impression. Even Canon.

• Like 1

As a 50mm shooter and as my quest (as many) has been from the film days to maximize sharpness on a small format the 50/2 Apo is in a league of its own. Yet, I carry my default lens, the 50/1.4 Asph 90% of the time.  The latter gives me more flexibility, low light, lower contrast wide open, super sharp at 5.6 with good contrast. The contrast is what I find the determining factor with digital, and it’s often too high and I find myself recovering shadows mostly.  So, the 50/1.4 asph and the pre asph are lenses I use for contrasty situations. If the day is dull, foggy or raining with enough light I would use my 50/2 apo, but then it’s rather easy to raise contrast in post and I can simply shoot my 1.4 and spin the aperture for higher or lower contrast.  On some days my Elmar 35mm from 1940 Is  my only lens, low contrast, lacks sharpness past 3mm from center, yet it can render quite beautifully on an M10 with post rescuing if necessary. What I find intriguing is that Galen Rowell had poster sized prints hanging in his gallery, shot on 35mm film and older Nikkor lenses that had tremendous detail. The pictures punched way above anything I could achieve technically with the same equipment.  The difference was his expensive darkroom techs expertise and process and of course his talent. 

• Like 1

I own a Noctilux 50mm f/0.95, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 FLE and APO Summicron 50mm f/2. The APO 50mm is basically glued to my M10-R. 

I have a hard time focusing the Noctilux wide open on my M10. Now that I also have an SL2, I've been using the Noctilux with the M-adapter. The focus peaking on the SL2 is amazing and fast. I have not used the Noctilux on my M10-R since getting the SL2.

For travel and everyday shooting, I prefer the M10-R shooting experience. My travel lenses are the APO Summicron 50mm and Summicron 35mm ASPH, both the most recent versions. I swap out the 35mm Summicron with my 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE for travel on one lens walkabouts.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For what its worth - the most unscientific and flawed test, but same shot with Summilux ASPH and APO-Summicron lenses at f2

Have applied identical settings to each. Curious whether folks can tell each apart.

I'll do something later with both to show separation with something focussed closer.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Tp2000
Wording
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Tp2000 said:

For what its worth - the most unscientific and flawed test, but same shot with Summilux ASPH and APO-Summicron lenses at f2

Have applied identical settings to each. Curious whether folks can tell each apart.

I'll do something later with both to show separation with something focussed closer.

Thanks for your post. We can see more chromatic aberrations in the branches on the second one

5 hours ago, Lelmer said:

Thanks for your post. We can see more chromatic aberrations in the branches on the second one

Agreed, but would a lower angle of the sun in the second shot cause this increase? I don’t know, I am afraid.  Of course, thank you Tp2000 and Lelmer for the test and the comment.  Regards.  

Edited by ibramr

6 hours ago, Tp2000 said:

Me neither, I think I'm not scientific enough to tell so much differences like them.  One thing for sure, summilux has swirly bokeh and it only appears when conditions are met.  APO only have very little swirly boken in comparison.  I pick summilux because I like that kind of... "feel".

P.S. the lower photo has more purple CA near the tree branches, I hope that's not APO... that would be interesting if that was...  lol

Edited by jaeger

24 minutes ago, jaeger said:

Me neither, I think I'm not scientific enough to tell so much differences like them.  One thing for sure, summilux has swirly bokeh and it only appears when conditions are met.  APO only have very little swirly boken in comparison.  I pick summilux because I like that kind of... "feel".

P.S. the lower photo has more purple CA near the tree branches, I hope that's not APO... that would be interesting if that was...  lol

Yes, I thought it was interesting too...... ;) :) 

• Haha 1