Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 50mm f/2 Aspherical VM lens to be announced soon

padam

On 12/22/2020 at 9:41 PM, Cayenne said:

So, do ya'll think the $999 will be the best price to be had on this lens for awhile (pre-order)?

Do you think this lens will be pretty limited in quantity when it comes out...ie will be hard to get?

I'm really leaning towards putting in pre-order myself here for the US.  

I've got money saved where I can put cash down for this.  I am vacillating between this and saving up a few more months, and getting the Leica Elmarit 28mm (likely used).

Yes, I know this is a HUGE difference between focal points between this and the 50. I have the Voigtlander Ultron 35mm, and man I love this.

I had been thinking the 28mm first, as that I am playing with an old Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 lens I found we had in the family. I sent it off for a CLA and this thing is in mint condition and so far, lives up to its reputation as a very sharp lens.  

I figured between this and a really great shape Helios 44-2 50mm lens I got would have me covered in the 50mm type range of lenses and I'd go for the Elmarit 28mm, which from my research looks amazingly sharp and reasonable (for Leica) in price.

However, the only drawback I'm finding is...that with the Nikkor and Helios, I of course, have to use the Visioflex attached to it, or Live View from the back of the camera to focus it.

Don't get me wrong, this works VERY well, and can actually be a fun experience....when I want to take the time to hook it all up, and take the time to shoot that way. The Nikkor's macro capabilities (plus other great macro lenses I have) are fun.  However, it takes time...when I just want to grab the camera out quick and run and shoot and keep things small, that is a PITA to deal with.

I'm of the thought that I do like the 50mm focal length to shoot at times...and having a really good 50mm rangefinder coupled lens, is something I really need, especially when wanting to run around and shoot quickly, etc.

I would love the Leica APO 50mm, but I just don't have the bread for that......and it really isn't on my near term lens path.  I figure for the most part I'd like to have range finder coupled 35mm (Have that), 28mm and 50mm.

If I go for the voigtlander 50mm APO, I could have in in Jan and be shooting with it in the start of the new year.

Ok...that's enough of me rambling. I guess I'm just a bit apprehensive buying a lens pre-release. I'm usually the type that ends up running out of YouTube videos and reading every site I can find about a lens before buying...this would be a first for me.

So, if ya'll think $999 might be the best price on this for awhile, coupled with possibly being hard to get after release...I might really lean towards putting money down early.

LOL....sorry for the rambling...I guess anticipation is half the fun.

cayenne

Much agonising over pre-release lens. If on budget, say looking for a new M lens which is 50mm and RF coupled with good performance and under $1000 than perhaps Zeiss Planar M 50mm f2, just a thought.

28 minutes ago, rsolomon said:

Any chance the mount will have the 6 bit contacts pre-milled.  IMO this would be a huge  functionality to offer

Probably runs afoul of Leica patents. The basic M mount design (66 years old) is now in the public domain, but not the 2006 6-bit ID system.

That applies to complete commercially-produced lenses - individuals, of course, (or people they hire) are free to take a grinder to any lens they own and "hot-rod" it any way they want. ;)

However, Voigtlander has for years included a pre-milled "trough" all around the back surface of their M-mounts (including many the make under the Zeiss ZM label), in which 6-bit markings can be added, and are protected from the "wear & tear" of changing lenses. Takes me about 15 minutes to add the marks - and then they last for years (oldest lens modified this way is approaching 2 years of constant use and changing, with no wear to the markings).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/23/2020 at 7:41 AM, Cayenne said:

So, do ya'll think the $999 will be the best price to be had on this lens for awhile (pre-order)?

Do you think this lens will be pretty limited in quantity when it comes out...ie will be hard to get?

I've got money saved where I can put cash down for this.  I am vacillating between this and saving up a few more months, and getting the Leica Elmarit 28mm (likely used).

I figured between this and a really great shape Helios 44-2 50mm lens I got would have me covered in the 50mm type range of lenses and I'd go for the Elmarit 28mm, which from my research looks amazingly sharp and reasonable (for Leica) in price.

I'm of the thought that I do like the 50mm focal length to shoot at times...and having a really good 50mm rangefinder coupled lens, is something I really need, especially when wanting to run around and shoot quickly, etc.

I would love the Leica APO 50mm, but I just don't have the bread for that......and it really isn't on my near term lens path.  I figure for the most part I'd like to have range finder coupled 35mm (Have that), 28mm and 50mm.

Given prices of recent vm lens dont expect the price will be lower unless youre a really late (few years late) adopter and the vm 50apo is superseeded with the v2.

Definately the elmarit will hold its value more and you can always sell your elmarit for at least at cost then go for the vm 50apo if you decide the elmarit its not for you. You can wait for review in the meantime.

Then again an vm 50mm APO FLE is highly anticipated for those not blessed with a leica apo 😄

Edited by cboy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Cayenne said:

I just pulled the trigger and pre-ordered mine from Camera Quest....

So, now the fun part....anticipation of getting a new toy in the mail.

;)

cayenne

Let us know how it goes! I only just got a Zeiss Distagon 35, six years after it was released, you'll be getting the Lanthar within weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-49mm-Vented-Curved-Hood-for-Leica-Voigtlande-Zeiss-Olympus-lens-US-Seller/333610065692

I've bought from this seller before.

really funny- the ad shows the hood on a Minolta MC series 501.4 lens. Looks like mine,

I use a vented hood with this lens after making an RF cam for it and using it on the M8. This lens is really good over the center 2/3rds of the image.

Edited by BrianS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JJC-Metal-Bayonet-Lens-Hood-for-Sony-Sonnar-T-FE-35mm-F2-8-ZA-lens-US-Seller/324180412157

Some offered by third-party for some cameras and lenses. But not many.

The size of the front element of the APO-Lanthar looks smaller than the 49mm filter size, I suspect a screw in hood will not be a problem. An alternative is a clamp-on hood. I made an inexpensive clamp-on vented hood for the Canon 50/1.2 using an Olympus 55mm clamp on ring and a Rainbowimaging 58mm vented hood. Probably could do the same for 49mm.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:14 PM, astrostl said:

Sight-unseen, and based on nothing more than reputation, design specs, measured performance of the Sony FE version on Sony bodies, etc.? What if it vignettes? 😂 </joke>

Decided to add a new routine to my code that processed DNG files from the M9 and M Monochrom. I do enough lens tests, thought it would be worthwhile. The code reads in the DNG file directly, parses it, and averages values in 8x8 bins. The M9 and M Monochrom store the same sized image in the DNG file, so the same program processes files from both cameras.

Even with lens coding turned off, Lightroom applies some default curve when exporting DNG to JPEG. It's not huge, but is there.

• Like 1

I made a light-box using white Christmas tree lights covered with layers of paper and a 3M white 0.3um polishing sheet with a window using the glass from a picture frame.

When the APO Lanthar arrives, I'll test it with this setup. It takes a about 10 minutes to test the lens with the light box to having this chart. All custom Fortran code.

Edited by BrianS
  • Thanks 1