Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 50mm f/2 Aspherical VM lens to be announced soon

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, Cayenne said:

Wow...

You should start a YouTube channel showing how you do all this work, especially converting these lenses to Leica mounts.

I for one would watch a LOT of this!!

(hint hint)

;)

cayenne

Thankyou- I still prefer written documentation, either downloadable or threads in forums. I find it makes it easier to sit down and follow the instructions. On a forum, people can ask questions. My normal youtube usage: listening to 1980s Alt music while working on the computer, or a lens. 

https://jasonhowe.blog/50mm-jupiter-3-f1-5-information

A company in the UK now offers these services professionally.

When the APO-Lanthar arrives, I'll be doing tests with it and open up a thread. I thought running down a strand of white LED Christmas lights down a tape measure might be useful for showing CA on a lens. I'll be giving it a try, and post back when they get here.

• Like 2

Get the CV 50mm APO. I own the E-Mount version from the day when it was available for sale. I pair that lens with my Sony A7Rm3. I've never own a Leica 50mm APO and I recently became a Leica camera owner despite it's only a Leica film camera. However I tried out the Leica 50mm APO lens on digital Leica cameras at Leica Wetzlar. I was blown away by the quality of the lens but the biggest obstacle is the price and when you own that lens you always keep that price in your mind when you are out and about. 

Nevertheless I was excited when Voigtlander announced their 50 APO lens for E-Mount. I didn't hesitate to pre-order one. The initial reviews on fredmiranda was quite promising and their thorough testing by different members have shown exceptional results for that lower price point compared to Leica's offering. I always keep that lens on my Sony camera, it is that superb!
The more I took photos with it I wished that Voigtlander will release that lens for M-Mount so I can use it on my M6 and later on on a digital Leica camera when I get one. We finally get it for M-Mount cameras! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, R4p70r said:

Get the CV 50mm APO. I own the E-Mount version from the day when it was available for sale. I pair that lens with my Sony A7Rm3. I've never own a Leica 50mm APO and I recently became a Leica camera owner despite it's only a Leica film camera. However I tried out the Leica 50mm APO lens on digital Leica cameras at Leica Wetzlar. I was blown away by the quality of the lens but the biggest obstacle is the price and when you own that lens you always keep that price in your mind when you are out and about. 

Nevertheless I was excited when Voigtlander announced their 50 APO lens for E-Mount. I didn't hesitate to pre-order one. The initial reviews on fredmiranda was quite promising and their thorough testing by different members have shown exceptional results for that lower price point compared to Leica's offering. I always keep that lens on my Sony camera, it is that superb!
The more I took photos with it I wished that Voigtlander will release that lens for M-Mount so I can use it on my M6 and later on on a digital Leica camera when I get one. We finally get it for M-Mount cameras! 

I'm toying with the idea of doing the pre-order on this lens.

I just almost NEVER do this, however, and am generally of the type that prefers to sit and wait a bit for the early adopters to scoop up the lens, and report back on how it actually is.

I'm quite excited about this, and am debating.  The pre-release  price  is $999 (I've not seen if they charge sales tax at that site or not)...and it appears the list price when release will be in the $1200 ballpark.....decisions, decisions....

How many here are pre-ordering the Voigtlander 50 APO M-Mount?

cayenne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, Cayenne said:

I'm toying with the idea of doing the pre-order on this lens.

I just almost NEVER do this, however, and am generally of the type that prefers to sit and wait a bit for the early adopters to scoop up the lens, and report back on how it actually is.

I'm quite excited about this, and am debating.  The pre-release  price  is $999 (I've not seen if they charge sales tax at that site or not)...and it appears the list price when release will be in the $1200 ballpark.....decisions, decisions....

How many here are pre-ordering the Voigtlander 50 APO M-Mount?

cayenne

I don't think there will be a large performance difference and built difference between the E-Mount and M-Mount version. 

The enthusiasts in that above mentioned forum are pretty fast getting a new released lens. They test them thoroughly and the results are quite detailed to make up your own mind before ordering one. 

Let's hope the first batch of this M-Mount version isn't sold out fast like the E-Mount version. I was lucky and I received on from the first batch of the E-Mount version. For weeks the lens was sold out everywhere.

8 hours ago, Edax said:

List price over here in The Netherlands is 1245 Euro, the hood will cost an additional 104.95 Euros...

2 hours ago, panosl1 said:

I pre-order in Aachen, Germany the day it was announced. 1099 EUR for the lens and 99 EUR for the hood.

I'll never understand why Zeiss und Voigtlander lenses never come with lens hoods and charge us with a hefty price for those... 

I was surprised that the E-Mount version of the CV 50mm APO was delivered with the lens hood included! 

On 12/19/2020 at 4:31 PM, 01maciel said:

Where did you pre-order in Aachen? I couldn't found any shop.

At Photo House Preim . I have had really positive experiences ordering from them. Orders always arrived earlier than expected and they went above and beyond to source Leica parts or accessories when I needed them. It might not be the first name that comes to mind when it comes to Leica resellers in Germany, but that does not mean that the level of service is not of high standard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious everyone that is pre-ordering this lens.

Are you basic your purchase solely upon the reviews or actually using this lens that is currently out on other mounts?

Or just a leap of faith on Voigtlander

While this lens is WAY less than the Leica. analog to this lens, it sill is $1K give or take to buy something sight unseen and largely not reviewed....so, was wondering why you think it worth the risk of the money to get one right off the assembly line.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

ps. I have the voigtlander 35mm Ultron.  So far I'm LOVING that lens, but then again, I did research on it, read countless reviews, etc before I pulled the trigger  and bought it.

Honestly- I and my wife are lucky to have a jobs during all this, be able to work at home, and have a steady income coming in. 

We've been doing things to support small businesses, having some home projects done that we've put off. I've picked up some rare lenses from private sellers, sold a couple of lenses, and given some away to a new business just setting up.

So ~$2K for the Nokton V2 and APO Lanthar and my wife is not mad at me. Life is good.

1 hour ago, Cayenne said:

I'm curious everyone that is pre-ordering this lens.

Are you basic your purchase solely upon the reviews or actually using this lens that is currently out on other mounts?

Or just a leap of faith on Voigtlander? 

While this lens is WAY less than the Leica. analog to this lens, it sill is $1K give or take to buy something sight unseen and largely not reviewed....so, was wondering why you think it worth the risk of the money to get one right off the assembly line.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

ps. I have the voigtlander 35mm Ultron.  So far I'm LOVING that lens, but then again, I did research on it, read countless reviews, etc before I pulled the trigger  and bought it.

Voightlander lenses for Sony full frame E mount, APO 50mm f2, and Macro APO 65mm and APO 110mm all have raving reviews, enough said.

Edit, earlier DSLR Mount APO 125mm and  APO 180mm are legendary.

Edited by mmradman

5 hours ago, BrianS said:

So ~$2K for the Nokton V2 and APO Lanthar and my wife is not mad at me. Life is good.

Sight-unseen, and based on nothing more than reputation, design specs, measured performance of the Sony FE version on Sony bodies, etc.? What if it vignettes? 😂 </joke>

8 hours ago, astrostl said:

Sight-unseen, and based on nothing more than reputation, design specs, measured performance of the Sony FE version on Sony bodies, etc.? What if it vignettes? 😂 </joke>

Actually- I looked at the optical formula and thought it was interesting. Same with the Nokton v2.

So I bought them. And I know the owner of the small business.

Edited by BrianS

So, do ya'll think the $999 will be the best price to be had on this lens for awhile (pre-order)?

Do you think this lens will be pretty limited in quantity when it comes out...ie will be hard to get?

I'm really leaning towards putting in pre-order myself here for the US.  

I've got money saved where I can put cash down for this.  I am vacillating between this and saving up a few more months, and getting the Leica Elmarit 28mm (likely used).

Yes, I know this is a HUGE difference between focal points between this and the 50. I have the Voigtlander Ultron 35mm, and man I love this.

I had been thinking the 28mm first, as that I am playing with an old Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 lens I found we had in the family. I sent it off for a CLA and this thing is in mint condition and so far, lives up to its reputation as a very sharp lens.  

I figured between this and a really great shape Helios 44-2 50mm lens I got would have me covered in the 50mm type range of lenses and I'd go for the Elmarit 28mm, which from my research looks amazingly sharp and reasonable (for Leica) in price.

However, the only drawback I'm finding is...that with the Nikkor and Helios, I of course, have to use the Visioflex attached to it, or Live View from the back of the camera to focus it.

Don't get me wrong, this works VERY well, and can actually be a fun experience....when I want to take the time to hook it all up, and take the time to shoot that way. The Nikkor's macro capabilities (plus other great macro lenses I have) are fun.  However, it takes time...when I just want to grab the camera out quick and run and shoot and keep things small, that is a PITA to deal with.

I'm of the thought that I do like the 50mm focal length to shoot at times...and having a really good 50mm rangefinder coupled lens, is something I really need, especially when wanting to run around and shoot quickly, etc.

I would love the Leica APO 50mm, but I just don't have the bread for that......and it really isn't on my near term lens path.  I figure for the most part I'd like to have range finder coupled 35mm (Have that), 28mm and 50mm.

If I go for the voigtlander 50mm APO, I could have in in Jan and be shooting with it in the start of the new year.

Ok...that's enough of me rambling. I guess I'm just a bit apprehensive buying a lens pre-release. I'm usually the type that ends up running out of YouTube videos and reading every site I can find about a lens before buying...this would be a first for me.

So, if ya'll think $999 might be the best price on this for awhile, coupled with possibly being hard to get after release...I might really lean towards putting money down early.

LOL....sorry for the rambling...I guess anticipation is half the fun.

cayenne

• Like 1

I believe the $999 price is the best around, and ended up buying the APO-Lanthar weeks after getting the Nokton V2. I also had $500 sitting in Paypal from selling a pair of lenses.

I have the Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8, use it on the Df.

It will cost you ~$150 to wait. If you get it at $999, you can probably sell it for close to that in 6 months of you do not like it. The E-Mount version has been out for a while, so it is not like you are gambling on Cosina's ability to deliver on a fast 50mm APO lens.

13 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I believe the $999 price is the best around, and ended up buying the APO-Lanthar weeks after getting the Nokton V2. I also had $500 sitting in Paypal from selling a pair of lenses.

I have the Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8, use it on the Df.

It will cost you ~$150 to wait. If you get it at $999, you can probably sell it for close to that in 6 months of you do not like it. The E-Mount version has been out for a while, so it is not like you are gambling on Cosina's ability to deliver on a fast 50mm APO lens.

Hm...good advice.

I just found that PopFlash is also offering it at $999 pre-order.  I wonder, who will get it first and get the most of them to sell....I got my M10M at Popflash and they did me right on that deal.

So I wonder if Popflash vs the CameraQuest would make a difference on chance of scoring one on the first go around delivery of them?

I"m surprised that B&H doesn't have them pre-order...

Think these will be in short supply and hard to get at release?

C

Edited by Cayenne