Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 50mm f/2 Aspherical VM lens to be announced soon

padam

4 hours ago, padam said:

First picture leaked

Thanks for the update padam. Im still hoping the size is appropriate for m mount...it doesnt look that promising. Also while its to each owns taste the styling is imho is little disappointing. I was expecting the style be more similiar to the e mount version which to me looks nice and stealth.

Love it our hate it the aperture ring does not look good with a after market filters....(-‸ლ)

For the love of...please voigtlander make us appropriate filters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, sutlore said:

If Covid-19 is the worst thing this year, this lens would be the bright light in this darkest time to me.

Looking forward to get one definitely.

You may need to be patient unless you see Voigtlander's early in the distribution order there. We are still waiting for the Nokton  50mm 1.5 II in the UK .

I'm in. Realized I had half the funds just sitting in Paypal from selling a lens.

My first SLR was an Argus/Cosina with the 50/1.8 Cosinon on it. How far they have come. 

This new lens is about 1/2 the price of the Pentax 85/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic in 1970.

Edited by BrianS

Deposits?

I must be special... I paid in full... For as long as I've been buying from Stephen, no problem with that with me. I wonder if it moves me up the line?

I had half the funds in Paypal from selling a pair of lenses, so to me- that is like Monopoly Money. It's not real, can only be used to buy camera gear.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

OH thank you!!

Wow...$999.....if this thing is half as good as it seem it will be, well, I think I will have my 50mm for my M10M decided upon.

I have an older car I'm about to sell, and was going to put that towards a Summicron 50 APO, but if this VM lens is 98%-99% there, I think this will be "the one".

I'm now anxious for January to get here and see what people think when the absolute early adopters get this in their hands.

C

I will report back. I believe the $999 is a pre-order price, once it is in regular stock I've read it will be going for $1150.

Looking at the optical block diagram- this lens looks like it has a more powerful retrofocus design to it than the APO-Summicron. The optical path is longer, accounts for larger size. I'll be using it on the M9 and M Monochrom.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

Voigtlander say "Best performance standard lens ever".

Credible or possibly true?

DigLloyd on the Voigtlander FE 50/2 APO-Lanthar: "I am at ease in saying that this is the finest 50mm lens I have ever tested, and it is by leaps and bounds the finest f/2 normal lens I have ever seen—most f/2 lenses are compromised consumer grade disappointments. Only the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon should dare show its face in the same company. The insanely expensive Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH is a fine lens assuredly, but it’s less well corrected and 7 times the price with inferior performance at f/2 as far as I can tell. I doubt that the Leica 50/2 APO could compete with the Voigtlander at 60 megapixels, even if a friendly sensor were available to prove that."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

On the voigtlander website it says "best performance standard lens ever" 

Nothing at all about the best that company made.

You doubt this claim?

Your quoting camera quest but i am quoting voigtlander's website.

Edited by steve 1959

Both websites are out to sell...

Digloyd is quite convincing however this glowing review is for the Emount and not the new Mmount version. Time will tell if it still holds true. Theyre not identical, but both still have double asph & FLE apparently. Hopefully itll be stellar...

Edited by cboy

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

On the voigtlander website it says "best performance standard lens ever" 

Nothing at all about the best that company made.

You doubt this claim?

Your quoting camera quest but i am quoting voigtlander's website.

Do you realize you are quoting E mount lens page?

https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/e-mount/50-mm-120-apo-lanthar-e/?lang=en

Who knows what is best in this mount. Leica doesn't makes E mount lenses.