Lens Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All - new to the forum and Leica - some great / useful information here.

I am coming from Nikon, Fuji and Sony. I recently purchased a Leica CL and along with an 18-56 lens. The build quality, size, UI and results are excellent. I really like this camera and would like to purchase an additional lens.

I can't decide on the 11-23 or the 55-135. What would you consider to be the better combination? Is one of those lenses considered better than the other? 

Without IBIS, would the wider lens be the better choice? I have not been able to handle either one.

Any information / shared experience is appreciated.

Thanks for your replies - I will probably at some point, purchase both lenses. I was just curious if one was better than the other.

I understand it is my choice based on how I intend to use the lens. I use cameras / lenses mostly for travel. That's why the interest in the CL. 

From what I have read, it seems both of those lenses are fairly equal just made for different purposes. I have ordered the 11-23 and should have it next week. 

I still have the Fuji X100V and for now, will use that if I have the need for a little faster glass.

Appreciate your suggestions.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good choice. You can also look at M-mount lenses on the adapter for primes. If you want to keep the costs down, Voigtländer and Zeiss make some wonderful lenses at quite reasonable prices, not  to mention the various recent Chinese options.

A point about the relative "quality" of lenses. Here on the forum we will argue endlessly about the finer points of rendering, aberrations, resolution, contrast, and so on. In the end this is completely irrelevant. The best lens is the one that takes the image you want to take, be it an Apo-Summicron or a pinhole lens. This is the Leica world you entered into. The photographic result transcends the technicalities and simplicity trumps gimmicks.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At home I'm a tele guy, so I use the 55-135 more than the 11-23.

On holidays I tend to use wider lenses, so on my next trip - in 2021?🤞- my 11-23 is more likely to grab the second spot zoom in my bag.

Eventually you'll want 11-23, 18-56, & 55-135; the question os just the order in which you buy them.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:34 PM, jaapv said:

Sounds like a good choice. You can also look at M-mount lenses on the adapter for primes. If you want to keep the costs down, Voigtländer and Zeiss make some wonderful lenses at quite reasonable prices, not  to mention the various recent Chinese options.

A point about the relative "quality" of lenses. Here on the forum we will argue endlessly about the finer points of rendering, aberrations, resolution, contrast, and so on. In the end this is completely irrelevant. The best lens is the one that takes the image you want to take, be it an Apo-Summicron or a pinhole lens. This is the Leica world you entered into. The photographic result transcends the technicalities and simplicity trumps gimmicks.

I have heard good things about Voigtländer and Zeiss lenses - What adapter for the CL would you recommend for these lenses?

5 hours ago, AdHox said:

At home I'm a tele guy, so I use the 55-135 more than the 11-23.

On holidays I tend to use wider lenses, so on my next trip - in 2021?🤞- my 11-23 is more likely to grab the second spot zoom in my bag.

Eventually you'll want 11-23, 18-56, & 55-135; the question os just the order in which you buy them.

Agree on the 11-23 for holidays - that's why I ordered the 11-23 first. We hope to begin traveling again late next year.

49 minutes ago, double00 said:

I have heard good things about Voigtländer and Zeiss lenses - What adapter for the CL would you recommend for these lenses?

Only the (expensive) Leica adapter. That will give full functionality, no third-party one will, although they will work in a limited fashion.