Which Epson printer for M8 pictures?

egibaud

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like all computer things buy the best you can afford/need. And it doesn't matter what camera or scanner you are using - only your skills in post that really matter. (FYI I use an Epson 4800 with Imageprint RIP and PK inkset. Ilford Galerie Glossy for workprints and Crane Silver Rag for fine art prints).

Charles,

As stated by Jack, it it prone to clogging, to your knowledge, since you use it intensively ?

Plus, there is the COVERPLUS-Packet (36 month On-Site-Service). Is it worth it ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sometimes feel like a passenger on a commercial airliner that’s been asked to pilot the plane for landing. Meaning? After 3-months of ownership I just now have a grasp on the M8 and recently narrowed the workflow software issue. As for posting prints online, I’m not about to until I like the results. As for printer choices, I initially wanted the 3800 although Epson has burned me in the past with a number reliability issues. They are finicky, jam easily and spit and sputter. When they work, they perform well. My Hp’s have never had any issues regardless of how much abuse they received. I realize I may be attacked for my opinion although I'm opting for the HP9180. Not because its less expensive, but because the best warranty is the one you don't have to use.

Regards,:rolleyes:

I sometimes feel like a passenger on a commercial airliner that’s been asked to pilot the plane for landing. Meaning? After 3-months of ownership I just now have a grasp on the M8 and recently narrowed the workflow software issue. As for posting prints online, I’m not about to until I like the results. As for printer choices, I initially wanted the 3800 although Epson has burned me in the past with a number reliability issues. They are finicky, jam easily and spit and sputter. When they work, they perform well. My Hp’s have never had any issues regardless of how much abuse they received. I realize I may be attacked for my opinion although I'm opting for the HP9180. Not because its less expensive, but because the best warranty is the one you don't have to use.

Regards,:rolleyes:

Whilst not wishing to be a Jeremiah, I do like my HP B9180 but I got through 5 in 6 months from warranty problems on light use (about 30 to 40 A3+ prints per month). If you can buy the extended warranty (you can't in France), I would buy it. It has been rumoured on some websites that the post August 2007 build printers are less fragile. It was for this reason and because I am tight for space plus wanted a quieter but still A3+ printer, that I opted for a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 for the UK. It is however more expensive to buy, more expensive to run and much slower than the HP, though its output might be a fraction better (very slightly denser colours, finer detail).

Wilson

Thanks Wilson!

The 9500 appears to be quite impressive so perhaps I should have another cup of coffee and consider this option. The issue of being a slow printer is a Canon hallmark but that certainly isn’t a concern for me. I still use an old Hp1220c Pro for fast drafts, which still works like new after 5-years on my network of Mac/Pc's

Regards,:o

Dan, like Wilson I'm not trying to talk you out of the HP 9180 BUT.

I have had one for just about 1 year. Since the first one arrived at my door step I have loved the images it prints, and I'm NO PP guru and I have never calibrated my monitor except to turn down the brightness to better match what I get from the prints.

But I am on my forth unit in that year. First one was replaced within 3 weeks of me getting it, Paper jamb error even when there was NO paper anywhere in the printer. Second unit lasted about 4-5 months then when you lowered the Special Media Tray nothing would happen. Thrid unit lasted about 1 month before I noticed it put streaks from print head stikes on the right hand side of the of the print, left hand side of the paper as it comes out of the printer, when printing 12"x18" on 13"x19" paper (funny thing was it didn't do it on Epson Premium Matte paper but did it on all others). Forth unit has been working OK for the last 3+ months but I really haven't been doing to much printing these days.

Would I buy the B9180 again over a similar Epson printer (that are being offered today), YES I would.

Word to the Wise. If you buy the HP B9180 BUY THE HP 3 YEAR NBD REPLACEMENT EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!

It is only about $80 and can save your arse.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've owned a number of inkjet printers since my first one in 1989 (Hp deskjet plus..)

Tried the 3 main brands. My experience with 2 Epson printers was AWFUL

I think they should call themselves Clogson.

Yes, when they worked, prints looked great, but clogging was a continuous issue, ink wasted on cleaning inkjets was appalling, paper jamming a plague and they were damn sloooww. Going back to Canon was heaven in comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, God is my witness that I never will buy a Epson inkjet printer again..

I do appreciate these comments as Ed’s experience along with Wilson’s, demonstrates a more even ranking of reliability issues between the perceived top contenders. Perhaps a Canon owner will chime in to fill the mix. ** Well, I no sooner posted my comments and Arturo jumped in with a Canon assessment so thanks! "One more thing" I just read Steve's review and it looks like a wrap for me at this point. Steves Digicams - Canon PIXMA Pro9500 Photo Printer Thanks to all who responded.

Regards,

I've owned a number of inkjet printers since my first one in 1989 (Hp deskjet plus..)

Yes, when they worked, prints looked great, but clogging was a continuous issue, ink wasted on cleaning inkjets was appalling, paper jamming a plague and they were damn sloooww. Going back to Canon was heaven in comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, God is my witness that I never will buy a Epson inkjet printer again..

I'm afraid of this, also. Though my colour pro lab uses 2 Epson 24/24 and are very pleased with it, I'm about to plunge for a Z3100 (30% rebate new).:eek::D

I run a pair of 9800s. In the past I ran a 9600, a 9000, and a 3000s. My 9800s run all day, day in and day out. Never a problem. One is running Illford Gold Silk (nice) right now, while the other has Photo Rag feeding. I visited the artist who bought my old 9600 last night and it still runs every day. In fact she prints about 100 large (over 20x30) canvases on it every month. Except for changing out a capping station, which is normal maintenance, the printer was never down. My old 9000 is in a school and the students still print with it. Another artist has my old 3000 and it still runs. we're talking 13 hard years of constant use on the 9000 and 3000. I wish I could say the same for my old Iris... well it never ran right for more than a few days at a time. And my Encads sucked. They leaked ink and got out of alignment if you looked at them crossly.

I can't speak for the small Epsons but the big ones are great. I'd recommend a 3800 or 4880 in a heartbeat. The 7880 is also a good workhorse. You may have had a different experience but my living depends on Epsons and my Epsons have never let me down.

Tom

Tom,

I think you have put your finger on it - "I run them all day every day". I think if you do that with Epsons, they are absolutely fine. The problems arrive when we amateurs don't print anything for a week, go off on holiday for 3 weeks and in my case go to France for 6 months. Amazingly the HP's and Canons seem to be able to cope with this, the Epsons don't. The killer for me is that I can replace the print head on the Canons and HP's but the Epsons have to go to a service centre or have an expensive visit from an engineer. I very seriously thought of an Epson 3800 for my UK house but the above put me off and also in my case, the amount of rearranging I would have had to do to fit it in.

Wilson

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an amateur who prints intermittently and who is over-invested in photography and printers. As such I have had a 4800 for almost three years and a 3800 for about a year. Currently the 4800 is dedicated to K7 BW inks and 3800 runs K3 color inks. All of the following is subject to changes with age and wear but I have learned that The 4800 will clog if I don't do at least a proprietary nozzle check several times weekly and this was true when I ran K3 inks as well. The 3800 is extremely forgiving however and I can leave it for weeks without turning it on and it will print without problems when I need to print. The results I get from each of these printers are excellent and I recommend them highly. If you aren't going to print larger than 16x20 or don't need to use rolls of paper then get the 3800.

Regards,

Rudy

Epson doesn't make a special printer fo the M8, so you will have to join the rest of us and use a printer that doesn't give a shit about what camera the images came out of, Epson makes a swag of top line printers as do HP and canon............ Yes you can great some of the best M8 prints usng a canon............

Just a question if I may, stnami, where is ward 017?