M10 Accessories - Leica Polarizer

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got my M8.2 in 2009, just before the M9 came out.  I spent the next 10 years enjoying it, but I always felt it was in addition to my other cameras, not instead of.  Then, earlier this year, I found that B&H had an M10 on sale as an "open box special", just as like before with my M8.2.  After debating with myself for a week, I bought the M10.  My thoughts were I could put away all my other cameras, and go back to shooting rangefinder style from then on.  That has sort of worked, although a month later, I bought an "open box" Nikon Df, thinking it might be my last Nikon (read up about the Df if you have time - it's not a "regular" Nikon DSLR).

While ordering the camera, I went looking for accessories.  I ordered a second battery.  I also ordered the thumb-rest, which to me is an essential part of the Leica.  It has never (yet) been removed.  B&H had a used Visoflex, so I bought that too (but haven't tried it yet because of the thumb-rest), and they had a special Leica polarizing filter designed specifically for use on a rangefinder Leica.  I bought that too, hoping it might be useful.

This thread is about the polarizer.  I found details here on this web page:  https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/13352

I didn't know how a device like this worked, so after a lot of searching, I found:  https://www.pebbleplace.com/reviews/rangefinder/leica_universal_polarizer/index.html

Sounded very intriguing.  I tried it out on my 35mm 1.4 Summilux this morning, to see how well it worked as a polarizer.  I was impressed, I have several polarizing filters, but this one worked better on the sky than I ever remember from my others.  I'll post two images below.

When I bought the device, I had no idea how it worked, or why it was useful especially for a rangefinder camera.  Now it's obvious - swing out the filter to above the camera, look through the filter while rotating the glass until what you see looks good, then swing the filter back into place in front of the lens.  I think anyone who owns a Leica, an who tried this once, would want to own one.  I've also read I can view the effect with the filter in front of the viewfinder.

I'm attaching two images taken with my M8.2, 35mm Summilux, and the filter set to "maximum effect", from early this morning.  To say I'm "impressed" is an understatement!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MikeMyers
Typo.
  • Like 1

Hello Mike,

If you attach the filter with the "P" up at the top at 12 o'clock, then when you swing out the filter, it will automatically stop in front of the range/viewfinder large window. Nifty. I use 1 for both a 35mm & a 135mm lens with no problems.

When these were first released there were versions for E39, Some E41 & E43 lenses.

Best Regards,

Michael

3 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Mike,

If you attach the filter with the "P" up at the top at 12 o'clock, then when you swing out the filter, it will automatically stop in front of the range/viewfinder large window. Nifty. I use 1 for both a 35mm & a 135mm lens with no problems.

When these were first released there were versions for E39, Some E41 & E43 lenses.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks, add this to the list of things I didn't know.  

I'm going to get spoiled.

Are these things still being made and for sale, or are they "collectors items" ??

23 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Really don’t understand why Leica do not offer their threaded polarizer in 46 and 39mm. Only 55mm and above. I have the 67 and 82mm polarizers and they are the sharpest and most smooth turning I’ve ever used

This is probably why they don’t.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150800-REG/Leica_13356_Universal_Top_Linear_Polarizer.html

Edited by jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jdlaing said:

This is the last version of the swing out polarizer with the three different filter adapter rings. I probably have one of these floating around somewhere. I have several of the original ones made for 39mm. I know one or two of them have had separation of the polarizer film sandwiched in the filter glass. I think I recall someone doing a DIY of replacing the pol filter with a good one, but I never got around to actually trying it.

• Like 1

One of my most used accessories 

if you search for a bit, you will also find the e49 adapter 

the carrying pouch included carries the e39, e46 and e49 adapters

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

One of my most used accessories 

if you search for a bit, you will also find the e49 adapter 

the carrying pouch included carries the e39, e46 and e49 adapters

Any suggestions as to where to search?  

Added later - I found the whole set at B&H, lots of $$$

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150800-REG/Leica_13356_Universal_Top_Linear_Polarizer.html 

Edited by MikeMyers
I found one source for the filter kit

1 hour ago, MikeMyers said:

Any suggestions as to where to search?  

Added later - I found the whole set at B&H, lots of $$$

Ive just done a simple search on the internet for the terms Leica + 13356 and have found two sets of the polariser at a very fair price at a professional dealer in the UK. (Peter Walnes.   location Penzance).   I've dealt successfully with him before.  He is more than happy to post the item to the US.

hope that helps.  

Edited by lucerne