My sensor has worms...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello.

I fear my M9 is nearing the end. I have this effect on the sensor. Interestingly, only when I shoot small apertures.I keep thinking this should be visible on any aperture if it's a sensor issue but... I can't work it out. Must be the sensor, as it happens on all my lenses.

Looking at the sensor I an see the bigger marks, it needs a clear. But the worms aren't visible.

What is the group consensus? Time to buy an M10? I will miss the M9.

12 minutes ago, P1505 said:

Shame. Thanks for the fast response.

I will invest in an M10. And maybe see if the M9 can be converted to black and white and live on. If not, I may use it until it becomes totally unusable.

https://kolarivision.com/leica-m9-sensor-corrosion-repair/

We’re happy to announce that we can now repair the Leica M9 sensor and replace it with corrosion resistant glass for $999. We’ve removed Leica coverglass before, but haven’t looked into this repair earlier since there was a warranty option through Leica. We found out about this recent news after a few customers emailed us asking about the repair. So we picked up an M9 with a corroded sensor, and gave it a shot. We were able to delaminate the corroded filter from the sensor, and replace it with BG60 glass. This glass will last indefinitely without oxidizing per Schott test reports, and also allows us to reduce the Leica sensor stack by 0.2mm, further improving on it’s excellent corner sharpness. We can also replace the glass with our full spectrum glass making it IR and UV compatible. 

28 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That is sensor corrosion. Leica cannot repair it any more, but will offer a discount on certain models. If you search the forum, you'll find a number of sensor modification companies that claim to be able to repair.

There are still sensors available. In limited quantities, but still available.

I sent mine in two weeks ago.

Just now, dummilux said:

Depends where you are - I asked end of August Wetzler via Leica CC in Mayfair, and no sensors available then, double checked a few weeks later and same response.

As mine is M9-P and neither Kolari or the other company can offer a sensor replacement on the P or Monochrome version, I made the decision to go the upgrade path.. has taken three months of waiting but posted my M9-P off today.

11 minutes ago, dummilux said:

Good for you :)  But is highly unusual to find one in the back of the drawer - Leica officially ended support for the sensor of the M9 series some time ago.

18 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Good for you :)  But is highly unusual to find one in the back of the drawer - Leica officially ended support for the sensor of the M9 series some time ago.

It is not “highly unusual”, nor random. You just have to email Jersey and ask. If there are still still sensors available, they will sell you one.

Here is the information:

Stacey McHenry
Manager of Customer Care

Leica Camera Inc. | 1 Pearl Court Unit A | Allendale, NJ 07401 | USA

T +1 800 222 0118 | Direct Line +1 201 962 9922 | F +1 201 995 1984

stacey.mchenry@leicacamerausa.com

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes - of course they will - but the problem is that there are no more sensors available. You were lucky, they seem to have found some somewhere in the system. :) 

https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2020/Repair-capacity-for-camera-models-Leica-M9-M9-P-M9-Monochrom-M-E

The problem is that you are detouring people from reaching out to Leica.

The program has officially ended. Yes. But they will sell you the sensors that are left.

And only they know if they have sensors left. 

This was not luck, nor did I get special treatment or win a sweepstakes. Just yesterday I received an email from another person asking if I wanted to upgrade instead. I confirmed I wanted the sensor changed and this was her response:

“Good Morning Mr. Guillen,

Thank you for your email. I have made note that you want the sensor replaced. The approximate repair time for sensor replacements is 3-4 weeks.

Thank you and have a great day! Be safe, be well!

Kathy”

Contact the person in my previous post. She will let you know if they are still in stock.

2 hours ago, P1505 said:

Shame. Thanks for the fast response.

I will invest in an M10. And maybe see if the M9 can be converted to black and white and live on. If not, I may use it until it becomes totally unusable.

All things considered, that is the best course of action - IMHO, at least.

I think you are on the right track.

35 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Let's go by Leica's official communication. There are no more sensors but some customers may profit by a lucky find.

Sure, emails from Leica are official communication. So, that means:

There are still sensors available but in limited quantities. Ask them to see if they still are in stock. No luck involved.

11 minutes ago, dummilux said:

Sure, emails from Leica are official communication. So, that means:

There are still sensors available but in limited quantities. Ask them to see if they still are in stock. No luck involved.

As I said above, maybe depends on your location, given that I've seen it reported before that Jersey still had them, but this side of the pond, Officical Communication to me from Leica, having asked twice, is No sensors available.  So lucky for you, unlucky for me!

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

As I said above, maybe depends on your location, given that I've seen it reported before that Jersey still had them, but this side of the pond, Officical Communication to me from Leica, having asked twice, is No sensors available.  So lucky for you, unlucky for me!

Maybe not unlucky - ‘what’s meant to be’! Your upgrade? M10-R? 

Someone on the French forum “Summilux.net” said that Stefan Daniel told him many years ago that if a Leica M9/M9M didn’t show the corrosion after many years it would certainly never happen in the future for this camera...

I personally think that it is bullshit because we have actually the proof that many bodies are just showing the problem now, after having been perfectly corrosion free during all these years.

What is your opinion ?