Fison with VOOLA arrived - but where have all the Elmars gone?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found a FISON with VOOLA in lovely condition for not a lot, and it arrived yesterday. I knew it was the wrong finish to pair seamlessly with my black paint Leica III and my nickel Elmar, but a hood is a hood. I had planned at some point on getting a IIIF, of which there are still a number around, but I had a look to see what price for a chrome Elmar 50mm f3.5.

None to be found with the usual suspects in the UK. Now I remember not so long ago Red Dot and Classic Camera having a lot. All gone there. 2 at Leica Vienna and one at SH Photo. Then I gave up, Ebay merely yielding the usual suspects from the FSU.

Yes there's been a boom in film cameras, but these seem the most unlikely of suspects for the new film shooters (give me an M6 and make it snappy). So I'm a little mystified!

Anyway, time to put the hood to use and work out by feel which aperture I'm setting.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Nice camera and pretty low numbered Elmar! A black paint FISON would be the right one stylewise but chrome is ok and lightwight compared to a VALOO. If you want a second Elmar just look for a nice IIIf with a red scale Elmar, more common and cheaper than pre WWII ones.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, romanus53 said:

The experts say 1931 https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/295398-do-it-yourself-schrauber-thread/page/31/?tab=comments#comment-4084152

in #620, sorry it's German and in an different thread, but they will answer here soon too 😉

Jerzy should know about this lens. I believe that the lens is a very early numbered lens from 1931 or 1932  and they may have been matching Camera SNs for a while. Thiele's list starts at 92201 but there are a few, rarely seen, lenses in the 70,000 range which Jerzy knows about. The Camera with SN 74973, a II Model D,  would be from 1932. The camera shown here is probably from 1934. That FISON and VOOLA combination looks very nice. I have several FISONs and VALOO, but the VALOO is heavy and I don't use it very often.

William

It must be said, it is a cracking little lens. Whereas my 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar does show a lack of contrast, the early 50 is really good in most conditions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles Morgan said:

It must be said, it is a cracking little lens. Whereas my 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar does show a lack of contrast, the early 50 is really good in most conditions.

It is called the 'lens that made Leica'. Without it we might not have Leica cameras around today. I have about 20 of them (most of them bought with vintage Leica cameras) and they are all excellent. I find very little quality variation among different samples. Well kept, it should last you forever. 

William

• Like 2