Using old Nikon manual focus lenses on a M10

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quick question - I've been shooting Nikon ever since the Contax IIa was discontinued, but also got into using my M2 and M3.  Then the SLR came along, and then the DSLR came along, and now the world is all about automatic everything.  So I've got some modern Nikons with lenses, and an F4 with lenses, and manual focus lenses that I haven't used in a lifetime.

I've seen that I can buy an adapter that will allow me to use many of these lenses on my digital M cameras.  With a special viewfinder, I don't think this would work for me, but "LiveView" sounds plausible, as does the Visoflex . My question - is buying one of these adapters from a reputable manufacturer a good idea, and how miserable would it be to use a kit like this?  In addition to telephoto lenses, I still have Nikon Perspective Control lenses, and one or two of the macro lenses, which would allow me to things the M10 is otherwise incapable of.

Since I also have a D750 and a Df, maybe there's no point to what I'm thinking of.  Any advice?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869958-REG/Novoflex_LEM_NIK_NT_Lens_Adapter_for_Nikon.html

Edited by MikeMyers

Old Nikon lenses a.k.a. Nikkor.

I had old Nikon SLR UWA lenses on M-E 220. And not just Nikkor old UWA lenses on Canon RP.

IMO, they belongs to film. Where are heck a lot of Nikon SLRs, still, which will take those lenses to shine, instead of so-so on Leica digital M(8+N).

I also had Nikkor SLR time zoom on Visoflex. It has same limits as any non Leitz Visoflex lens. Only close up range.

The Novoflex-adapter works fine and in combination with the EVF old Nikkor-lenses are a joy to use, more than so-so, and they will shine on film SLR too. I like using Micro-Nikkor, Tele-ED's and perspective control is great too (mine is not Nikkor but also adapted). Same for Leicaflex-lenses and others I adapt but that is beyond your question.

You are right with the Novoflex. 

I own this - and most time I use it with my 60mm Af-S macro. It's fun to shoot with it, because of the different colours of the Leica (I like them more than the Nikon). 

You can do everything you want (on a trip, for example) what you want with one camera. 

I, for me, would sell the DF+D750 and buy a z6 (+35/50 - what ever you like more) for the money. But that's a new theme... 

Thanks, lots more reasons to spend the money for the adapter.  

As to my old cameras, the D750 is mostly just sitting, and the Df is my second favorite camera.  The idea of changing to a Z6, with new lenses and everything is something I have no desire to do, even if I could afford it.  I'm trying to do everything with the M10.  Close ups, and extreme telephotos aren't (yet) included.  

There were (are?) less expensive adapters, but the Novaflex I linked to is supposed to be excellent.

Take the Novoflex. It's well made and worth the money. 

It's possible to get a cheaper adapter via Am. or Eb. - but if you want to use your G-lenses (not only older ai/ai-s) it's necessary to buy an adapter with a ring for the "G". And then you are in most cases round about the price you have to pay for the Novoflex. At least at german stores... 

And one point about the Z:

It's a nice camera. Not for everything... but most parts of photography. There are two new adapters (or is it only one...?) out there. Megadap / Techart TZM11. With that you can autofocus Leica-M-glass. :blink: And with one adapter more ( x to Leica-M) - nearly every lens in world... I'm waiting that the adapter is available in a local store...  Only my 2 Cents... 

Have fun with your Leica! :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Since I also have a D750 and a Df, maybe there's no point to what I'm thinking of.  Any advice?

To be honest, I'd probably agree with this. You already have fine cameras that can use your Nikon lenses without any limitations, including focusing them through the viewfinder, or live view if you prefer. And you could spend the price of that adapter on something like an interesting classic LTM lens.

But if you enjoy experimenting, why not?

16 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

To be honest, I'd probably agree with this. You already have fine cameras that can use your Nikon lenses without any limitations, including focusing them through the viewfinder, or live view if you prefer. And you could spend the price of that adapter on something like an interesting classic LTM lens.

But if you enjoy experimenting, why not?

Thank you Anbaric, for now, I think I will follow your advice.  There is always a good reason to keep my old cameras.  Tomorrow I want to take infrared photos, and my Leica M8.2 does that perfectly!   

Before I make my next trip to India (I do volunteer work at an eye hospital, before the virus hit), I might buy the adapter anyway - it would be useful to have the ability to shoot close-ups.  Depends on which camera(s) I take with me.

I tried it recently. It works and it looks very nice:

Leica M10 with Nikkor 50mm f1.2 by Dirk R., auf Flickr

52 minutes ago, weinlamm said:

Take the Novoflex. It's well made and worth the money. 

It's possible to get a cheaper adapter via Am. or Eb. - but if you want to use your G-lenses (not only older ai/ai-s) it's necessary to buy an adapter with a ring for the "G". And then you are in most cases round about the price you have to pay for the Novoflex. At least at german stores... 

And one point about the Z:

It's a nice camera. Not for everything... but most parts of photography. There are two new adapters (or is it only one...?) out there. Megadap / Techart TZM11. With that you can autofocus Leica-M-glass. :blink: And with one adapter more ( x to Leica-M) - nearly every lens in world... I'm waiting that the adapter is available in a local store...  Only my 2 Cents... 

Have fun with your Leica! :)

I don't know how many of my very old lenses will work on the D750, but the Df is supposed to accept just about any Nikon F mount lens ever made.  I'll need to do some more thinking about this, but if I do buy an adapter, I guess I will spend the additional money for the Novaflex.  

About the new Nikon cameras - a few years back, I'd have been very tempted.  Not now.  Thanks, though.  If I was still working, I might feel differently.  

With the D750, you can't use the 'pre-AI' lenses they made before the late 70s, but almost any AI or later lens is fine. The Df must have more compatibility than any other Nikon - most pre-AI lenses should also be fine, because you can fold back the AI tab (which is fixed on the D750 and can be damaged by the early lenses).

Nikkor G lenses (G = gelded?) have apertures that are controlled electronically from a Nikon camera body.  That is, there is no aperture ring.  There are tables that show which Nikkors work on which camera bodies.  You can download the instruction manual for any particular Nikon body.  Towards the back there is always a complete section on which lenses work, which work with limitations and which can't be mounted.

Novoflex products are of the highest quality.

17 hours ago, zeitz said:

Nikkor G lenses (G = gelded?) have apertures that are controlled electronically from a Nikon camera body.  

Actually it is the Nikon E lenses that have electronically controlled apertures.  The G lenses lack an aperture ring, but are still mechanically controlled, so a mount adapter with an aperture ring allows use on non-Nikon bodies.