Shoe Mounted View Finder Dilemma

M2Pete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, here is my dilemma: I wear glasses and can barely see the 35mm frame lines and the 28mm frame lines looking at odd angles (which causes me to accidentally move the  the camera thus losing my composition) but never as a whole frame on my M-D Typ262. I have the old 21mm-24mm-28mm shoe mount viewer for my M3. It does not have frame lines but varies the FOV for each focal length. 

If I bought a dedicated 28mm (or 24mm or 21mm) bright line shoe mounted view finder would I be able to see the frame lines in the finder with my glasses on or would I have the same issues I have now?

Thanks!

Hi Pete

I sympathise those who need an extra viewfinder because, well it's an extra, and a hassle.

I have multifocals, and just squash my face into the optical viewfinder, squashing the glasses as well...yes it's all good can still see well allowing to focus and see the framelines. I used M-P typ 240 and M8's.

If you want exact framing can you use a Visoflex EV-2 on your camera? I certainly do with odd lenses and close-up or macro-photography.

Frankly i don't get too worried about exact framing...for me close enough is good enough.  Getting edges and horizons fairly straight is possibly more important, particularly with wide angle lenses. Can always crop a little in post if vital.

I think just practice more and aim to be minimalist.  

All best..

2 hours ago, david strachan said:

Hi Pete

I sympathise those who need an extra viewfinder because, well it's an extra, and a hassle.

I have multifocals, and just squash my face into the optical viewfinder, squashing the glasses as well...yes it's all good can still see well allowing to focus and see the framelines. I used M-P typ 240 and M8's.

If you want exact framing can you use a Visoflex EV-2 on your camera? I certainly do with odd lenses and close-up or macro-photography.

Frankly i don't get too worried about exact framing...for me close enough is good enough.  Getting edges and horizons fairly straight is possibly more important, particularly with wide angle lenses. Can always crop a little in post if vital.

I think just practice more and aim to be minimalist.  

All best..

Thanks!

The M-D Typ 262 is the digital Leica w/o the screen. The only advanced features over my M2 (error in the first post) is it  has  a digital sensor, an ISO dial, a meter, aperture priority and exposure compensation, so the EVF-2 is not an option. Perhaps the older Visoflex for older film cameras is (though that beast does take away from the small form factor of the camera). I'll look into that .

I'm cropping and correcting in post for the present.

Edited by M2Pete
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

At post #2, David wrote

"...I think just practice more and aim to be minimalist.."

As M-D user myself and long time aux VF (ex)lover, I changed to "minimalist practice" with this minimalist digital M.

So the two things to practice is "minimalist" AND 'practice'.

With some practices, now I don't need aux/ext. viewfinder anymore.

So Pete, just try that ...

• Like 1