Pradovit capacitor

Jande9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have a 1958 Pradovit slide projector.  It runs OK for a few minutes but the motor slowly comes to a halt after a minute or so.  All the bearings are oiled and run nice and free.  I suspect the big capacitor because it is not original but looks like it has been replaced.  It is 2MFD.  Does anyone know if this is the correct value for this capacitor?  Also, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the original Pradovits?

Thanks in advance.

Jan

Hi Arnaud.

Thank you for this.

My projector is from 1959 with "Pradovit" with no "n" or "f" on the side.

I need a schematic or wiring diagram from a service manual.  The run capacitor on the motor does not look to be original and I am not sure it is the right value.  I would like to know what the correct value should be.

Thanks.

Jan

Hi Pop.  That looks to be an excellent resource.  It indeed looks like a 2.5MFD and the motor looks like mine too.  However, the cap is in a different spot to mine.  His is along the bottom and mine is behind a baffle along the side.

My projector is the 110v version so that also complicates things a bit.

I will get in touch with the guy who runs the site and see what he thinks.  He may want a copy of my manual because he doesn't seem to have anything for a 1958/9 Pradovit.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Jande9:

My projector is the 110v version so that also complicates things a bit.

Not necessarily, if for the 220/230V a capacitor with a nominal voltage of 430V is sufficient it also can be used without trouble in the 110V version.

But I read the capacity in the photo as 0.5uF, not 2.5uF?

10 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Not necessarily, if for the 220/230V a capacitor with a nominal voltage of 430V is sufficient it also can be used without trouble in the 110V version.

But I read the capacity in the photo as 0.5uF, not 2.5uF?

Hmm.  I read both, depending on how I hold my eyes!

Jan

Well the projector is working now and it was indeed a faulty capacitor.  The marked value was 2MFD but it measured as 25MFD.  I bought a 2MFD cap, put it in, and it is running great.  Cost $3.50CAD.  Can't complain about that!

I bought this 50 years ago for cheap because it wasn't running right and intermittently over the years tried to fix it, but I couldn't get it properly apart.  Now, retired and trying to downsize, I took another look at it and found the manual between the cardboard bits in the box, which clued me into how to get the side panel off and get at the guts of it.

Finally got it out of the "in" basket!  It only took 50 years, 3 houses and many apartments worth of moves.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

• Like 2