Interesting New Find...

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread is meant for images taken with collectable Leica gear when it was new. It is not meant for images taken with such gear in the present. Feel free to post  photographs of the cameras and lenses along with the images.

This thread is meant for images taken with collectable Leica gear when it was new. It is not meant for images taken with such gear in the present. Feel free to post  photographs of the cameras and lenses along with the images.

It would be great indeed, to see pictures in this category.

Maybe this thread is still empty because it will raise a whole lot of copyright and privacy laws questions.

- Is the current owner of the image the legal heir to the original copyright holder?

- What copyright timeframe is applicable (author's country of origin? LUF server location?)

- Who the heck is framed in this image, how could I get informed consent for publication? Would current or historic legal standards apply?

I am definitely not a lawyer. I definitely do not want to be a spoilsport. I am just being curious, if it is questions like these that refrain people from posting, because otherwise this thread should have filled up more quickly.

Kind regards

Mathias

I have the first films taken with my III, inherited from family so no problem with 'rights'. I mean to do something special next year to celebrate the cameras 70th birthday

Gerry

Thats a typo, camera will be 80yrs old next year.

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

At last count, I have 24 pre-1945 Leicas. All were purchased privately from German families over the past decades and most came with slide/negative collections. I literally have thousands of images photographed before and during the war encompassing any period topic you can think of (cities, transportation, famous/infamous people, parades, celebrations, weaponry and warfare on all fronts, etc.). If anyone has a particular subject or theme they would like to see, let me know and I'll do what I can to satisfy the request. Please bear in mind that a sizeable portion shows Nazi emblems, flags and regalia. If the forum finds this inappropriate, I'll certainly refrain from posting.

Dave W. (seekwhence)

• Like 1

Hi Dave,thanks for offering to post some vintage images. My personal request would be for any pre-war entertainment themed pictures personalities/Theatres etc, and then post war occupation images. As far as showing swastikas/nazi emblems, I'm sure the moderators will point the way. Tony.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In postwar Germany, the depiction of these symbols is unlawful and may be prosecuted. This does not apply to academic historical editions but may apply to forum posts. This, for good reasons, is a very sensitive matter.

The forum imprint suggests applicability of German jurisdiction.

Edited by schattenundlicht

A frame from an AGFA Isopan F film taken in the spring of 1945 with the 1936 IIIA + 2/5 cm Summar I inherited from my wife´s uncle many years ago.
It shows Sandreda station on the narrow-gauge (891 mm) railway Växjö-Hultsfred in the province of Småland in Sweden.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

In postwar Germany, the depiction of these symbols is unlawful and may be prosecuted. This does not apply to academic historical editions but may apply to forum posts. This, for good reasons, is a very sensitive matter.

The forum imprint suggests applicability of German jurisdiction.

I think that historical photographs in this context might be exempt, but leave the decision to Andreas.

• Like 3

I always thought Hasselblad had a good idea with their little notches in the film gate which shows that the negs were taken on a Hasselblad.

I can't remember what camera I used for many of my older negatives.

Apparently this was done by at least a few news/magazine operations in the film times so the photographer in the field could be contacted if a camera was having issues. Techs like Marty Forscher would file notches in the film gates of your Nikons for a fee. They were artisans really. Back when you couldn't chimp your 'chromes.

s-a

EDIT: I know, OT... :(

Edited by semi-ambivalent

I remember adverts for Hasselblad back in the day, which made a 'thing' of their notches, and suggested end clients would look for them as a sign that their photographer has used a Hasselblad! 

I can't really imagine some picture editor saying, "these photos are really superb, but we can't print them, the photographer hasn't used a Hasselblad!". 

Hello Everybody,

Actually there were notches of various shapes filed into the film frames of all kinds of cameras, holders & backs back when there was still an occasional brachiasaurus to be seen in local parks. The notching was done so that users of multiple cameras & holders & backs could tell which 1 was used to take which photo.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Dave,thanks for offering to post some vintage images. My personal request would be for any pre-war entertainment themed pictures personalities/Theatres etc, and then post war occupation images. As far as showing swastikas/nazi emblems, I'm sure the moderators will point the way. Tony.

Hi Tony

I may not have exactly what I think you're looking for (nightclub, caberet or opera scenes) but I do have images of carnivals, outdoor puppet shows, what appears to be a one-man vaudeville act, and actors dressed up in 18th century clothing soliciting funds for war relief. If any of these subjects are of interest, I'd be happy to post a few scans.

Dave (seekwhence)

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 6:22 AM, seekwhence said:

Hi TonyI may not have exactly what I think you're looking for (nightclub, caberet or opera scenes) but I do have images of carnivals, outdoor puppet shows, what appears to be a one-man vaudeville act, and actors dressed up in 18th century clothing soliciting funds for war relief. If any of these subjects are of interest, I'd be happy to post a few scans.Dave (seekwhence)

Hi Dave, yes they would be great. Also I was thinking Aerial shots as an additional interest. Thanks very much for the offer. Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As promised here are some period images that Tony (MRTEE) wanted to see. The first shows some famous actors dressed in 18th century clothing soliciting war relief funds:

for-leica-forum1.jpg

The second shows a carnival ferris wheel in München:

for-leica-forum2.jpg

The third shows some kind of comedy vaudeville act:

for-leica-forum3.jpg

The fourth shows a children's puppet theatre:

for-leica-forum4.jpg

The last tonight shows an aerial scene of Luftwaffe student pilots practicing formation flying:

for-leica-forum5.jpg

As I've said I have thousands more images like these and I would be happy to share as many as the forum members wish to see.

Dave (seekwhence)

• Like 9