Bogen 6/35 mini

Peter212

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Found this small enlarger on the curb with other large items to be discarded.  After giving it a thorough cleanup, new bulb and new switch, I tried it and it seem to be ok.  It’s quite bright and it focuses easily.  The little drawer in between the light bulb and negative carrier, what is it for...?  I am guessing it’s to insert filters, but maybe not.  The square measured roughly 70mm x 70mm and it has two tabs on opposite sides.  

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

5 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

Yes, a filter drawer. My Omega B22XL had a filter drawer in the same position. It took thin filters cut to size of the tray for multi contrast paper. I believe they are still available.

Thanks for your reply.

Last time I had a functional darkroom was back in 1989.  I never used any filters because the  home made enlarger I was using back in the days had no filter drawer.  Do you think something cheaper may work instead of very expensive Ilford filters ...   

Thanks again

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For multicontrast paper you really need a filter set matched to the type of paper. The filters balance light at two wavelengths to vary the contrast. I found the old filters I used to use for Kodak polycontrast did not work well with the modern Ilford paper I tried. Rather than experiment more I went back to single contrast papers (2 & 3 work for me) and skipped the filter effort.

I also picked up a Leitz Focomat V35 with color head, and then found a trashed one with the multigrade B&W module which I moved to the good enlarger. But I've been sidetracked for years and haven't tried it out yet. I used an Omega B22XL for decades, and find I can still get good prints faster with it, because of long experience. But I'll admit I just scan my negatives most of the time - getting lazy in old age.