SL2 shutter speed handholding

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

when shooting with leica 24-90mm lens and the SL2 with image stabilization how slow can I shoot?

I know the 24-90mm has image stabilizing also (not sure how many stops)  and I heard SL2 provides 5 stops of stabilization but what does that translate to.

say shooting a portrait with the Leica 24-90mm and SL2 can I handhold at 1 second?

sounds too easy, but if 24-90 lens and SL2 have stabilization not sure what is possible in real world conditions.

Depends on your ability, and how large you print or magnify on screen.  Leica quotes users in some ads handholding at 2 secs, even without a lens incorporating OIS. 

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Leica-SL2/Details

But that doesn’t mean that you could do it, or do it reliably. Generally no need to shoot that slow anyway in portraiture given lighting control and ISO flexibility.

I haven’t used my tripod yet with the SL2, with either long zoom (OIS) or SL prime (w/out). But I also have had no need to exceed .5 second or so, and that’s rare for me. The IBIS is extremely well implemented.

Jeff

Anyone notice image degradation when IBIS is on. For example, take the exact same shot with and without IBIS between 1/30th and 1/125th with a 35 APO. I've done this and have noticed degradation with the IBIS activated. Was rather surprised at that. Perhaps the advantages of IBIS do not kick in until 1/15th or less???

5 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Anyone notice image degradation when IBIS is on. For example, take the exact same shot with and without IBIS between 1/30th and 1/125th with a 35 APO. I've done this and have noticed degradation with the IBIS activated. Was rather surprised at that. Perhaps the advantages of IBIS do not kick in until 1/15th or less???

Reported by Stuart...

Jeff

13 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Reported by Stuart...

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, thought I was losing my marbles or something was going on with my SL2 IBIS (faulty?). My 35 SL APO is brilliant on the both the SL and when I've used it on the SL2 on a tripod without IBIS, so I was taken aback with the noticeable loss in resolution when handheld at 1/60th with IBIS.