Equipment to shoot at -10°C/14°F

fm13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'll be spending a week in the north of Sweden in Feb (if traveling will still be allowed) and was starting to think about what kind of equipment I should take with me to keep my LeicaQ warm and functional at -10°C/14°F. I'm also planning on doing some night shots with a tripod which would mean that it will be even colder, but that depends on whether the aurora will be visible.

I already have a bunch of extra batteries, but I wonder if there's anything anyone can recommend when shooting in the cold (bags made for the cold, special sd cards, covers?).

Thanks,

FM

4 hours ago, fm13 said:

Hi,

I'll be spending a week in the north of Sweden in Feb (if traveling will still be allowed) and was starting to think about what kind of equipment I should take with me to keep my LeicaQ warm and functional at -10°C/14°F. I'm also planning on doing some night shots with a tripod which would mean that it will be even colder, but that depends on whether the aurora will be visible.

I already have a bunch of extra batteries, but I wonder if there's anything anyone can recommend when shooting in the cold (bags made for the cold, special sd cards, covers?).

Thanks,

FM

Great time spending!

Plastic bag with ziploc.  Put your camera into ziploc bag and take air from it before entering indoors. Keep it like this until temperature of camera and indoors are =.  It is done to avoid your camera getting wet.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Great time spending!

Plastic bag with ziploc.  Put your camera into ziploc bag and take air from it before entering indoors. Keep it like this until temperature of camera and indoors are =.  It is done to avoid your camera getting wet.

That's a great one, thanks!

btw, I shot at -5°C before and after just a couple of minutes (literally 2) the camera stopped saving photos, but I guess that's more SD-card related?

On that subject - if you go out at night, temperature will occasionally drop down to arctic, I once had -45 ºC in Northern  Lapland; I had a winterized M4 then. You cannot touch the camera with bare hands under such circumstances, it will freeze to your fingers. Wear smooth woolen gloves under your mittens for operating your camera (which must be kept relatively warm when not in use, obviously.) There will be a lot of night, too ;)

Tip: Motor bike shops sell electrically heated gloves and ski shops sell electrically heated shoe warming insoles..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ingo said:

For my iceland trip in January I putted a warmer in the photo bag for the batteries (and for my feet :). 

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

On that subject - if you go out at night, temperature will occasionally drop down to arctic, I once had -45 ºC in Northern  Lapland; I had a winterized M4 then. You cannot touch the camera with bare hands under such circumstances, it will freeze to your fingers. Wear smooth woolen gloves under your mittens for operating your camera (which must be kept relatively warm when not in use, obviously.) There will be a lot of night, too ;)

Tip: Motor bike shops sell electrically heated gloves and ski shops sell electrically heated shoe warming insoles..

Thanks for the tips, I only thought about the camera and forgot about my feet or hands 😅

15 hours ago, fm13 said:

That's a great one, thanks!

btw, I shot at -5°C before and after just a couple of minutes (literally 2) the camera stopped saving photos, but I guess that's more SD-card related?

I never used Q cameras. None of cameras I'm using in bellow -10 C weather have this problem. Except odd 5C iPhone I had before my current one. This one was shutting down even if it was -1 C. With message - "it is too hot outside". Does Leica makes tropical versions of Q?

• Like 1