Would you sell your M240+75mm apocron for M10?

autograph

Since  I get 50mm Summilux ASPH, I rarely use 75mm summicron.

If you were in my shoes, would you swap your M240 and 75mm summicron with M10? Both cameras are in mint condition.

Thanks for your replies.

Edited by autograph

In a heartbeat!!

Ive owned both the 50 lux ASPH and the 75 APO summicron. very similar signature as you know. the 75 is significantly heavier and is prone to focus issues.

The M10 is light years ahead the 240 in terms of refinement and image quality if your tastes are closer to the M9 look.

Depending on your photography. Does the M10 improve your photos? Do you need it because you are limited in your kind of photography with the M240? I know it from myself: of course the answer is no. What remains is only the decision by heart not by brain. If you like the M10 better, then buy it. 

Let me know your decision...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I honestly did not notice any difference between the M10 and M240 viewfinders. I don't wear glasses.

As far as ISO is concerned, IQ wise 6400 on the M10 is slightly better than 3200 on the M240. If you are a full manual shooter you will quickly apreciate the manual ISO dial.

If you are an Auto ISO shooter you will really like being able to confidently set an ISO cap of 6400 and a min shutter of 1/125 for all your indoor/ night work.

Regarding color output, the M10 is significantly different from the M10. If you are married to the M240 colors, I definitely would not switch. 

Edited by Kwesi
Missing words

I’m not in your shoes, so what I do should have no bearing on what you should do, or vice versa.  

Best to test for yourself, weigh priorities and decide. I did just that a few years ago and traded my M240 for the M10. I appreciate the better VF, for me (larger opening, higher magnification and better eye relief), more robust build quality and weather sealing, slimmer profile (although I adjust quickly either way), and  file quality.  Battery life is reduced, but I always carry an extra anyway.  Never used video.

I dislike the 75 frame lines, so the 75 APO Summicron I bought years ago didn’t stay around. My 50 Summilux ASPH gets a lot of use, though, on M10 and M Monochrom.

Jeff

1 hour ago, autograph said:

Actually I'm very happy with the results and especially color reproduction of M240. And No need more than ISO 3200.

But I like the slimmer design of M10 and its viewfinder.

Given the above, I would probably not make the trade.

You are happy with your M240; why sacrifice your 75mm 'cron to upgrade?  If you do, sooner or later you will come to regret the loss of your 75mm 'cron.

Been there, done that with a 50mm Summilux.  ☹️

Edited by Herr Barnack

Will new shoes make you a better dancer? Possibly but working on your dance steps is a surer way to improve your dancing. I, too, ask the same, or similar, question of myself often.  Eddy Mercxx, very likely the best bicycle racer ever was asked by a fellow how to become a great bicycle racer.  Eddy replied words to the effect, "Ride your bike a lot."  We have the same task.  The bike helps but it is up to us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

..."Ride your bike a lot..."

Make 100-200 images every day - week in, week out.  Year in, year out. That's how you get better - by shooting a lot. 

I don't shoot enough, but I am trying.  100 images a day is not difficult if I'm out on my own "just shooting" - doing street photography, nature or landscape.  300-400 a day is about average for me if I'm photographing an event that lasts 1-2 hours long, or 600-700+ shots if the event lasts 3-4 hours.

Photographer/teacher/author David DuChemin mentioned in one of his books that it is not unusual for him to make 100,000 images a year.  That averages out to 274 per day.  That is commitment.  And persistence.

We should all be so committed and persistent.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

An addition to the great Eddy Mercxx's advice is the Jesuit motto of learning, "Reptitio, repititio, repititio."  They are a smart bunch of guys and great teachers. A TV personality here was illustrating how while something might be possible it might not be wise with the saying, "You can chew gum in church but it is not a good idea."  That's a man with a Jesuit education.  I know him to be an Irish Catholic by his own admission.  No doubt his secondary and college years brought him close to the Jesuits.  No, I am not promoting or advocating any religion, I just use them as an example of how to get better at what you think needs improvement.  Dixi  (LOL)

As for the ratio of taken to good pictures, a good friend who is a pro once told me that as a beginner he expected 36 of 36 to be good.  As a pro he was happy for 1 in 36.  As his skills got better so did his standards.

And this just came to mind and I think you will all appreciate it. The pro, Chuck, carried his Leica around in an old WW I gas mask sack to attract as littkle attention as possible.  It went with him everywhere. And he assured me in the sincerest tomes, "This camera had never been sullied by color film."     

Edited by boojum