Thambar to be discontinued

mole73

The glossy black finish is a thing of beauty, and it has silky smooth mechanics.  I’ll never part with mine, I’m continuing to experiment with filters to get a similar look but nothing has worked so far, nor has software with negative clarity or haze.  Maybe lens baby. 

Could Leica have intended a limited production?  The price would indicate this, the packaging Noctilux like, luxurious.  The rumored reintroduction of the 50/1.2 is 100 copies.  

• Like 1

vor 38 Minuten schrieb darylgo:

The glossy black finish is a thing of beauty, and it has silky smooth mechanics.  I’ll never part with mine, I’m continuing to experiment with filters to get a similar look but nothing has worked so far, nor has software with negative clarity or haze.  Maybe lens baby. 

Could Leica have intended a limited production?  The price would indicate this, the packaging Noctilux like, luxurious.  The rumored reintroduction of the 50/1.2 is 100 copies.  

When Leica introduced the Thambar-M in 2017 it was listed as a „regular“ lens. But in the interview with Mr. von Oeynhausen and Mr. Netopil they mentioned that Leica would be aware of the fact, that this would be a very special lens with only a small customer base.

There are quite a few of them about . See list on the right hand side of the linked piece.

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/90mm-f2.2-Thambar-(SM).html

The original LTM model is the one most collectors would go for. It is about 5 years since one hit a really high price at auction. In the past the prices for this item have been cyclical, however.

It is probably too soon to judge what might happen as regards the M mount version.

William

1 hour ago, mole73 said:

When Leica introduced the Thambar-M in 2017 it was listed as a „regular“ lens. But in the interview with Mr. von Oeynhausen and Mr. Netopil they mentioned that Leica would be aware of the fact, that this would be a very special lens with only a small customer base.

It will be interesting to see what Leica does going forward with the retro lenses, if they remain in the line up as regular lenses or get discontinued.  What Leica does is often surprising and mysterious... and fun.  Like the stock market, many try to prognosticate, few see the blindsides. 

• Thanks 1

Uhm... sure if they clearly intend to mean that Leica will cease its production ?  On such precious items communication has to be tuned carefully... 😉

- They say that Leica made around 1200 ....which can be true at the moment (two batches of 600 ? Who knows... ask Leica... I doubt they answer 🤥)

- They say it's "run out"... in the context of a "lasting of stock "

- Other well known dealers list it as "available" or "orderable" ; Official Leica on line store say nothing about.. and the Italian Online Store even proposes a 36 months financing at 0% interest on it (through a local well known Consumer Financing Company)

This can be interpreted as THEY (Meister) have/had a stock of the item, which is next to end so it's the right moment to buy ("Save 500 €"...),  also giving the "message" that there will be no more than 1200 items made...     

All of this is not unfair from a private dealer... it's marketing... what Leica will plan on the matter is another thing... how many of the 1200 or so have flown from sale channel to users (better to say... "buyers"... 😉) ? They will surely keep track .. and will decide consequently if make or not another batch and at which price and packaging, in case (do you remember Noctilux f1 "the last 100"  ? 😄)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, darylgo said:

You should try the Lensbaby Velvet 85mm

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I have never really understood the attraction that some have for the Thambar, but I hate to see any M lens be put out to pasture.

There are a lot of pics -most - taken with it that I really don't understand too. I think you really need to know what subjects work with it and know how to dose the effect to get the best out of it. Once you learn that, it can be a magical lens.

I am biased but I think my (step)dad used to take wonderful pictures of trees with his. I think he posted some here.

Tiff.

It seems odd but I think it was quite clever and it was more successful that I had thought.

It was a bold statement and one which opened up interest to their fascinating back catalogue of lenses and sat well with their M marketing as the tool for artists.

The M systems ongoing value is largely propped up by it's collectability so these projects of scarcity, oddity and rarity all contribute.