Flash trigger compatibility with Leica M

Sasha

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a hobby shooter and have gone through Nikon, Canon, and Sony gear, and then got into Leica M a couple of years ago.  Love my M10P and M3 and am building up a nice collection of M lenses.  I have been shooting with just natural light but would now like to experiment more with portraits and controlled lighting and external flashes.  I've been looking at the getting a couple of Godox AD200 Pros and would like to control them with a flash trigger from my M10P.  I can't find anything official about Godox/Leica compatibility on the internet, although some say that a Godox X1T or X2T Nikon version will work with Leica M and I've also read somewhere that the Olympus version is the one to go for.  Does anyone have any first hand experience or advice on this?   

The Nikon version works properly.  I can't think why someone would find the Olympus version superior to any of the others.

A pre-2012 Sony might be a problem since they were a bit different, but as long as you don't need any information beyond the trigger signal transferred from camera to trigger any of them are satisfactory.

Edited by Good To Be Retired

14 hours ago, Dennis said:

If you want to test it, try these:

Flash + Trigger = $130 USD

When they fall to the floor, they broke. Very plastic. But I use them professionally since 2016 on my Nikon DSLR, never had a problem. So I tested on a M10, just for fun once, and they perfectly work. It could be a cheap option to try out

I've also tried this cheap trigger on Nikons.  They work well but as stated are cheap construction. 

Never tried their flash though.

16 hours ago, Hanno said:

Hi Sasha

I own 2 Godox AD200 and a Godox AD600 Pro. I use the Godox Xpro N flash trigger for Nikon which works very well on my M10-R and M10-M. 

Hi, Hanno

Are you always speaking about for trigger Nikon Manual Mode or also do they work  in TTL mode for those Leica cameras? 😇

Francisco

5 hours ago, FMB said:

Hi, Hanno

Are you always speaking about for trigger Nikon Manual Mode or also do they work  in TTL mode for those Leica cameras? 😇

Francisco

The M bodies support TTL, but only for flash units using the Leica communications protocol.  Godox has an on-camera flash that looks nice and is a reasonable price.  I THINK the Godox TT350F Mini Thinklite TTL Flash not only supports Leica M on-camera TTL but also allows remote adjustment of your Godox studio strobes and TTL for them also.  I think.  Maybe.  Not certain about that.  Leica SF C1 Remote Control supports wireless TTL, but only for Leica strobes.

As of this writing I'm unaware of any TTL remote trigger compatible with Leica M protocol that will talk to Godox strobes, which strikes me as odd as it looks like the afore mentioned on-camera Godox flash will so why not a remote also?.  

Dumb mode works with, I think, ANY Godox wireless trigger, it will fire the strobes and allow remote adjustment of flash output.  Just no TTL.

Best I can tell, if you want TTL with a Leica M and Godox strobes, you have to use a hot shoe mount flash.

However, if I am mistaken in this matter and a Godox trigger will enable TTL of studio strobes I would appreciate it if someone would set me straight.  My strobes are TTL capable, I just don't use it.

I use to work with my Leica cameras with Sf C1 remote control  + SF 6o and Nissin MG 10 with full Leica software options (Manual, TTL,  HSS sync,etc.) and,  some months ago,, I tried the i60A  brand Nissin (with the same software of MG10) that also worked with SF C1, but although not directly  on the hot shoe of the  camera.

As a support of these lights, if I need it, I aid them with Kaiser optical triggers, bellow my  Leica SF 58, 2 x SF 24d (all of them in Mode A ["auto exposure" flash] and  one SF 40 in Manual Mode. Here you are all my flash capabilities!

I very much appreciated to use with my Leica cameras Pro-foto flashes, their light color  is the best of the best, but for the moment only would be allowed to work in manual mode.

Francisco

• 10 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 3:10 AM, Hanno said:

Hi Sasha

I own 2 Godox AD200 and a Godox AD600 Pro. I use the Godox Xpro N flash trigger for Nikon which works very well on my M10-R and M10-M. 

A quick question on your configuration.

Is it work properly with HSS situation like over 1/500 shutter speed?

On 10/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, Marvin Yoon said:

A quick question on your configuration.

Is it work properly with HSS situation like over 1/500 shutter speed?

it should NOT. High Speed Sync is a combination of multiple small flashes that illuminates the camera sensor at different time.

ALL godox trigger just fire using the center contact only, no other communication with the camera. That is why different model work in M mode.

HSS only with Leica dedicated flash systems on leica cameras

• Like 1

Try this system:
1 - Put in Leica shoe as a trigger TTL (HSS) a small but useful compatible flash like Leica SF 40 (not too much expensive), pointing to somewhere visible for the optical cells.
2 - Use one or more flashes any brands, in manual mode and as optical slaves (S2), full power and oriented to your subject.
3 - Shoot your camera and the trigger flash will make to turn on the others each of all the occasions it sparkles and will do it during the needed period to achieve a good exposure.

I can't remember who was the member that gave us that method, sorry, he or she were very clever.

Francisco.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share that using two (2) SF-40 flashes works with the on-board SF-40 flash triggering the external SF-40.  It does take some trial and error as the external flash is manually controlled.  I'm using an older monochrome M9.  Fun times!   :)

• 3 months later...

So, I'm using two AD200s and an XPro-S (Sony) trigger, mainlly on a sony but noodling around trying it on the M10 I find that the camera fitted with the Xpro will trigger the flashes but I have no control over flash intensities using the triggers. However, If I take the trigger off the camera, intensity control returns. I'm quite happy with only manual flash contro but it would be nice to get that from the trigger controls. Anyone had any luck?

On 11/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, Hanno said:

Hi Sasha

Oh good so it seems all I need to acquire is an Xpro (N) trigger for my 2xAD200 + 2xV860III. I presume the trigger will work perfectly on an M11 too?

3 hours ago, idusidusi said:

Oh good so it seems all I need to acquire is an Xpro (N) trigger for my 2xAD200 + 2xV860III. I presume the trigger will work perfectly on an M11 too?

I haven’t had a chance to test it yet on the M11. I will test it tonight and let you know. I don’t expect any issue. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hanno said:

I haven’t had a chance to test it yet on the M11. I will test it tonight and let you know. I don’t expect any issue. 

Hi @idusidusi. Yes the Xpro (N) works flawlessly with the M11. I also tried with the Sekonic/Godox transmitter RT- GX which links a Sekonic meter to Godox strobes and Xpro. All good! 😀 

Edited by Hanno
  • Thanks 1