Dublin at night.

jto555

Another night time photo. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Another 21mm lens shot.

• Like 19

An M240 with the 75mm Summicron.

• Like 10

Any rugby supporters will know the Avivia or if you have gray hair like me, Lansdowne.

• Like 14

On 11/25/2020 at 10:50 PM, jto555 said:

A photo taken on Harcourt Street, Dublin. I love Dublin at night, even if it is a lot quieter during the lockdown. 

Leica M240 

Leica Elmarit 21mm F2.8 shot wide open

I don't know how I missed these up to this. I know all of these locations, of course. All the shots are wonderful, but the Harcourt Street shot is particularly marvellous and really captures the mood of the place. I actually drove down Harcourt Street just this morning. I live in the suburbs and would rarely be in town with a camera after dark these days.

We must meet up after Covid is under control. We are doing a launch of the book 'The Light of Day' by Tony O' Shea at the Gallery of Photography, Ireland and we should be having an exhibition of his work at the Gallery in 2021. I will send you the final details by PM when they are available. Tony was a Leica user for a lot of his work over the years and it represents possibly the finest body of Dublin street photography since the great Bill Doyle, who was also a Leica user. I picked up a signed copy of the book at the Gallery this morning. Last Monday the Times of London selected it as the Photo Book Of The Year https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgKgYRnnMn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sorry about the shameless plug, but the book is really that good. The book also features photos of rural Ireland and of Northern Ireland and 'events' in the Border area.

The comments above are absolutely correct. Dublin is a great city for street photography, but, in common with most modern cities, the streets are perhaps too crowded during the day. By going out at night, particularly during lockdown, you have really captured the atmosphere of the city that I remember from many years ago.

William

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jto555 said:

Hi William, while I never worked with Tony I was on many a shoot where he was there for the Sunday Business Post. He is a wonderful photographer! 

John 

Tony took my photo with a Leica M4 for the Sunday Tribune business section about 30 years ago. Afterwards I often met him on the street with a Leica doing his own work or with an SLR on assignment for a newspaper.

Then I did not see him much for many years, but I was working abroad for some of that time. Since I joined the Board of the Gallery of Photography, Ireland I have met him quite a few times . He is a regular attender at our events and he is also a great collector of the photo books which we sell. More of Tony’s work relating to Northern Ireland is to be seen just now at the Irish Museum of Modern Art ( IMMA) in Kilmainham along with that of other great photographers, including Eric Luke , formerly with the Irish Times, who uses a Leica M6 and MP for his personal work. Eric and I are in regular contact about photographic matters and we are planning some pints with Leicas post-Covid. Maybe you would like to join us?

William 

• Thanks 1