Tripod head recommendation

vikasmg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a light tripod head that will still support a Leica SL2 with a long lens.  I'm a very infrequent Tripod user and need some advise.

I have a Gitzo tripod and the lens head on it seems to have developed a problem in that it will no longer accept the Arca-Swiss compatible plate it came with - there seems to be a problem with a pin that used to fit into the recess on the plate but no longer does.  I've tried to figure out what has gone wrong but to no avail.

In any case, although the head I have (a Gitzo GH1382TQD Traveller) is relatively light I thought it's an opportunity to change to a light three-way head rather than the ball head if possible.  Does anyone with more knowledge have any suggestions?  

Sliding the Arca plate may be  stopped  by the screw that goes to the camera.

Actually if it is a D-ring , instead of a simple Allen screw the "D" may be too loose and interfere in the sliding.

The small pins are only there to prevent the plate falling if pushed too much, or if the head is in vertical position, so they should not be a problem.

2 hours ago, vikasmg said:

I'm looking for a light tripod head that will still support a Leica SL2 with a long lens.  I'm a very infrequent Tripod user and need some advise.

I have a Gitzo tripod and the lens head on it seems to have developed a problem in that it will no longer accept the Arca-Swiss compatible plate it came with - there seems to be a problem with a pin that used to fit into the recess on the plate but no longer does.  I've tried to figure out what has gone wrong but to no avail.

In any case, although the head I have (a Gitzo GH1382TQD Traveller) is relatively light I thought it's an opportunity to change to a light three-way head rather than the ball head if possible.  Does anyone with more knowledge have any suggestions?  

On my Gitzo series 1 tripod (GT1541T) I use a Markins Q3I traveler ball head. It is compact but is rated for 65 lbs. it fits inside the Gitzo tripod legs when the legs are reversed,  so the collapsed length of the tripod is only 44cm. I have been very happy with this ball head.

I understand that you asked about three-way heads, but thought I would share my experience with this head as it works very well and keeps the unit very small which is the goal of most purchasers of a Series 1 traveler tripod.

Edited by RoySmith

2 hours ago, Gelatino said:

Sliding the Arca plate may be  stopped  by the screw that goes to the camera.

Actually if it is a D-ring , instead of a simple Allen screw the "D" may be too loose and interfere in the sliding.

The small pins are only there to prevent the plate falling if pushed too much, or if the head is in vertical position, so they should not be a problem.

1 hour ago, Gelatino said:

it is advised to use a collar on the telephoto instead of using the camera screw  to get better balance of the combo on the tripod.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, it is a simple screw and if I use and Allen key and remove it it’s fine.  The mystery is why it’s suddenly become a problem when previously it wasn’t! 

Indeed, I have been using a collar with the 90-280 telephoto.

59 minutes ago, agencal said:

I ıse this one and soo happy👍🏻

https://www.acratech.net/gxp-ball-head/

43 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have that one and agree with you.......but the OP was asking about "a light three-way head rather than the ball head"!

Well, this is an intriguing one that I didn’t know about.  I know I wasn’t asking for a ball head but I need to take a good look at this.  Thank you!

Edited by vikasmg
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RoySmith said:

On my Gitzo series 1 tripod (GT1541T) I use a Markins Q3I traveler ball head. It is compact but is rated for 65 lbs. it fits inside the Gitzo tripod legs when the legs are reversed,  so the collapsed length of the tripod is only 44cm. I have been very happy with this ball head.

I understand that you asked about three-way heads, but thought I would share my experience with this head as it works very well and keeps the unit very small which is the goal of most purchasers of a Series 1 traveler tripod.

Thank you.  Another interesting one.  The more I research three-way heads the more concerned I get about their size and weight 😞

31 minutes ago, Michael Hiles said:

I understand you asked about NOT ball heads, but...

I have been using the Leica large ball head since forever. It is exceptionally good. but expensive.

Thank you Michael.  I’m familiar with that one but I found it wasn’t quite up to supporting a Leica SL2 with TH 24-90 zoom - let alone anything larger.  If I angled the camera slightly upward or downward it didn’t feel secure at all.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, vikasmg said:

Well, this is an intriguing one that I didn’t know about.  I know I wasn’t asking for a ball head but I need to take a good look at this.  Thank you!

In terms of design it’s the antithesis of the Markins head and even more so the Leica head!  I know some may find it attractive but if I buy it it won’t be for the looks 😀

19 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I use mine with the SL and 90-280SL zoom - works well.

I use an Acratech GV2 Ball Head on my larger Gitzo tripod and it is excellent. When I want something more compact for travel I use the Markins Q3I Traveler. It supports my SL with the 24-90 SL zoom with no droop even when tilted down. I don't have the 90-280 SL Zoom. With the 90-280 you would use an arca-swiss plate on the lens foot which would balance it better so I expect the force on the tripod head would be reduced. 😃

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

--Leica Q2 28mm 1/160sec @ f1.7

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RoySmith said:

I use an Acratech GV2 Ball Head on my larger Gitzo tripod and it is excellent. When I want something more compact for travel I use the Markins Q3I Traveler. It supports my SL with the 24-90 SL zoom with no droop even when tilted down. I don't have the 90-280 SL Zoom. With the 90-280 you would use an arca-swiss plate on the lens foot which would balance it better so I expect the force on the tripod head would be reduced. 😃

Snap! I have a Markins Q3I Traveller on a Gitzo 0545T for my CL and Sigma fp, and the Acratech sits on a larger Benro for the SL/SL2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoySmith said:

That’s amazing.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Snap! I have a Markins Q3I Traveller on a Gitzo 0545T for my CL and Sigma fp, and the Acratech sits on a larger Benro for the SL/SL2.

Would it be too much trouble to post a picture of your Acratech and Markins side by side - when you can spare the time?

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Again a ball head, but a number of folks, including S users, have reported good experiences with the Arca P0 head.  Unique design and simple ring control, compact and light.  Online reviews will demonstrate.

Jeff

I'm amazed at the range and richness of choices in tripod heads.  This looks like quite a unique and interesting product.