Leica M6 Light Leakage after CLA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I am having some issues with my Leica M6 despite spending a ton of money on a CLA and repair hopping to fix the light leakage issue. The repairmen double sealed the back gate of the camera and even added some solution to ensure the curtain is not letting any light in but for some reason my problem persists. It is making me very frustrated. Anybody have any idea what might be causing the issue? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the forum!

The light must be coming from the top of the camera, as it shows on the bottom of the image when "printed".

I'm not an expert, but the "flame-like" shape of the leak as seen on the left above, looks very odd. Most light leaks are soft edged and fuzzy like the one on the right. The one of the left has a defined edge.

Are these exactly the same on every frame?

Someone with other ideas will be along shortly!

Maybe the light seal across the top of the door, hidden until you unclip the door?  One side looks very 'fluid' and not like a typical light leak. Any chance the camera has been left out in the rain ? 😆

Edited by 250swb

Hmmm. I would guess at a leak getting in via the viewfinder/rangefinder assembly. There are light baffles within the camera and can be difficult to spot when not sealing properly so best to replace all.

If the leak was coming in from behind the film the 'leaks' would show as coloured (assuming this is C41 film).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andybarton said:

Welcome to the forum!

The light must be coming from the top of the camera, as it shows on the bottom of the image when "printed".

I'm not an expert, but the "flame-like" shape of the leak as seen on the left above, looks very odd. Most light leaks are soft edged and fuzzy like the one on the right. The one of the left has a defined edge.

Are these exactly the same on every frame?

Someone with other ideas will be along shortly!

The light leak appears in the same place but does not appear on every single frame. I have gotten the repairmen to replace all the seals and even double sealed it. The repairmen claimed it was the thinning  shutter curtain and added some rubber solution to try sealing it up but thing is working

22 hours ago, zceibfo said:

The light leak appears in the same place but does not appear on every single frame. I have gotten the repairmen to replace all the seals and even double sealed it. The repairmen claimed it was the thinning  shutter curtain and added some rubber solution to try sealing it up but thing is working

This reinforces my suspicions.

You can check for sure by loading a film and shining a bright torch or lamp into the viewfinder/rangefinder windows (various angles front and back) and see if it ends up causing the same leaks.

Try some like that then try the same, but through the lens mount (to eliminate the shutter curtains which I doubt are the issue).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, earleygallery said:

This reinforces my suspicions.

You can check for sure by loading a film and shining a bright torch or lamp into the viewfinder/rangefinder windows (various angles front and back) and see if it ends up causing the same leaks.

Try some like that then try the same, but through the lens mount (to eliminate the shutter curtains which I doubt are the issue).

Another thing to add is whenever I take a shot and not advance the film forward, leaving it as such, the light leak appears more apparent. If I do not immediately replace the lens cap, and continue walking around taking shots, the light leak also appears more apparent.