Leica M9 LCD display Problem

Sarka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all, I am totall new to the leica digital world. I currently brought a M9 in a excellent condition. But one thing makes me a little bit wondering: sometimes the LCD display shows me pictures with strange rings. It happened very often when I shoot in-door under poor/artificial light source. the rings disappeared when I shoot under higher iso (1600 or higher). 

Leica Care told me it is normal. The camera have to compress the original photo extremely to be able to show it on this small LCD screen. Due to the bad resolution and colour depth of the compressed picture, these rings may appears. 

The explanation by Leica is quite OK. But yesterday I have the chance to try a Leica M8.2. It doesn’t show any rings when shooting under the same condition. Now I am really confused.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal bei M9 or my LCD is somehow defect?

Thanks s lot for your help!

Best regards 

Frank

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't think your LCD is defective. High jpg compression can lead to 'posterization' whereby continuous, smooth tonal gradients are degraded to step-like transitions as shown in your image. Maybe at high iso the inherent noise breaks up the uniform gradient sufficiently to prevent this happening.

I wouldn't worry too much about this as long as the final image file is OK. The M9 LCD is of pretty low quality compared with those of modern cameras and used mainly for first-order image checking and menu access rather than as a medium for serious image viewing. I find it perfectly adequate for exposure and focus checking when necessary but by default have the automatic preview turned off. If the M8.2 doesn't do this under similar conditions it seems likely that it applies less jpg compression.

hello Sinjun,

thanks a lot for your Information. I just get a picture from one of my friends who also has a M9. He shoot it under a similar condition and the Rings/Halo doesn’t shows up.......

Best regards 

2 minutes ago, Sarka said:

thanks, but why there are even differences between m9s?

Keep in mind that you are viewing a simple thumbnail sidecar image on that screen and not anywhere near a full res image. The screen is, and has not ever been, very good on any of the Leica bodies for much of anything. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

Keep in mind that you are viewing a simple thumbnail sidecar image on that screen and not anywhere near a full res image. The screen is, and has not ever been, very good on any of the Leica bodies for much of anything. 

I have no problem to zoom in for details. M9 screen, menus allows it.

I agree that the posterization on your LCD looks odd and is not something I have noticed on mine,  but I would have thought it more likely to be due to a software setting than rather the LCD hardware. It would be worth checking that you have the latest firmware installed.

2 hours ago, sinjun said:

I agree that the posterization on your LCD looks odd and is not something I have noticed on mine,  but I would have thought it more likely to be due to a software setting than rather the LCD hardware. It would be worth checking that you have the latest firmware installed.

I have the 1.216, should be the latest one?

20 hours ago, Sarka said:

Dear all, I am totall new to the leica digital world. I currently brought a M9 in a excellent condition. But one thing makes me a little bit wondering: sometimes the LCD display shows me pictures with strange rings. It happened very often when I shoot in-door under poor/artificial light source. the rings disappeared when I shoot under higher iso (1600 or higher). 

Leica Care told me it is normal. The camera have to compress the original photo extremely to be able to show it on this small LCD screen. Due to the bad resolution and colour depth of the compressed picture, these rings may appears. 

The explanation by Leica is quite OK. But yesterday I have the chance to try a Leica M8.2. It doesn’t show any rings when shooting under the same condition. Now I am really confused.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal bei M9 or my LCD is somehow defect?

Thanks s lot for your help!

Best regards 

Frank

one more example photo. Need your thoughts.

Your firmware seems to be the latest. You could try taking the SD card from your friend's M9, putting it in your M9 and displaying the image he/she took. If it is OK it suggests that the embedded jpg is being too compressed by your M9 when recording the image. If it still has the rings, then it suggests a problem with the LCD itself - e.g. reduced bit depth for some reason.

Hi, it is hard to tell from your images, but it appears that you have a screen protector on, and could it be that the protector itself is causing your issue.  

You may also want to check the setting of your monitor brightness – Menu/Monitor Brightness. It may be set to something other than Standard. It is an unlikely cause of your issue, but only takes a second to check.

8 minutes ago, Jean-Michel said:

Hi, it is hard to tell from your images, but it appears that you have a screen protector on, and could it be that the protector itself is causing your issue.  

You may also want to check the setting of your monitor brightness – Menu/Monitor Brightness. It may be set to something other than Standard. It is an unlikely cause of your issue, but only takes a second to check.

Hi, thanks for the comments. I will check with the protector. But to be honest I don’t think that could be the reason. Otherwise it won’t disappear when using higher ISO. Settings have been checked, all standard.

2 hours ago, Bart D said:

The SD card perhaps? Are you using a supported card?
I suppose you shoot dng.

I rarely use the lcd screen but when I do, the rendering can take an instant.
Meanwhile, it's rather pixelated, no halos.

I have the sandisk extreme Pro. should be OK with the M9... still have no idea why it is happening...

28 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Are you shooting DNG only? In that case the camera will use the highly compressed thumbnail. Set it to DNG+JPG and the problem will disappear.

Dear Jaapv,

I tried it, unfortunately it is still not working.......

Best regards 

Frank 

Just now, Sarka said:

Dear Jaapv,

I tried it, unfortunately it is still not working.......

Best regards 

Frank 

Photo looks no difference...

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That is the same photograph, sp obviously the camera will not have generated a higher quality JPG. The setting DNG+JPG refers to the taking of a photograph, not to the display of an existing image.

Sorry, I mean this one. I took today.