Problem with refraction of light

tom24

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello 

Maybe someone knows how to help or explain why this is happening. 

Photographed against light (light source out off the frame), Leica MD, 50mm Summilux f/1.4.

Above in the photo - reflection of light in the form of line across the entire framet.

I don't understand where, why ... ?? 

Thanks

Tom

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Two more pictures to make it easier to understand.

Yep - here is my handy-dandy diagram of why that happens. I keep a copy saved since the same "band across the top" question comes up every two months or so.

It is bright light outside the picture area reflecting off the bottom* of the camera chamber and flaring onto the sensor.

The dark band is due to the sensor (or film) being set back in a short tunnel behind the shutter, which shades the bottom mm or so of the sensor from the reflected flare, like an awning.

* Remember that lenses project the world upside down. So what happens at the bottom of the sensor appears at the top of the picture, and vice-versa.

A round lens hood will let in a lot of light that is not part of the picture. A rectangular one is better, but still not perfect (since it would end up in the picture itself). If you must shoot into bright light, use your hand to shade just the lens, at an angle so that your hand won't end up in the picture.

And just beware of light (sun, spotlights, windows in a dark room, etc.) that is in the 10-30° area outside the framelines

Edited by adan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

This can happen with other lenses also.

With MD, the worst digital M as the "problem" can only be seen afterward.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/292763-m10-sensor-error-or-hood-blocking-the-light/?do=findComment&comment=3655890

M-D 262 and Tele-Elmarit thin 90mm

with other M ...see

this thread with M10 ...

Edited by a.noctilux

9 hours ago, tom24 said:

I don't understand where, why ... ?? 

This is expected behavior resulting from unwanted direct light striking places in the camera you don't wish it to strike.  It occurs in a variety of ways and depending on the exact conditions is frequently referred to as glare or veiling glare or flare.

Bright lights shining directly into the lens, or bright lights immediately outside the frame, cause glare such as this on the lens elements.  Reflections can also occur within the camera, that's the reason the interior of your camera is painted flat black. 

You've seen exactly the same thing on your car windshield when driving into the sun.  In cameras it is frequently remedied by using a lens hood.  It may be made worse at night by using a filter due to the additional glass surface.

I wear a hat and frequently hold it so as to place the front element of the lens in the shade.  Your hand may work just a well.  Many people, including myself, believe you should always use a lens hood.