How to remove sensor dust from a M10 sensor

MikeMyers

You don't want to be using anything stronger than a Rocket Blower.

And always hold the camera with the throat pointing down so the dust has somewhere to go, other than somewhere else in your camera.

I find it hard to believe that Leica Miami can't clean the sensor for you - for free. My dealer told me that all official Leica dealers offered this service. Maybe Leica USA have a different policy.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Was this with the "Rocket Blower" or something stronger?

Nope, an even weaker, smaller one. And did it with the camera throat pointing down too. For viewfinder cleaning I'd have to send it to Singapore 😅 (Can't do it at Leica Thailand for some reason, they said lack of equipment) 

Luckily it doesn't affect the shooting experience.

Edited by nuc001
Typo

That's very discouraging.

The dust problem I have is minimal.  While I did pick up my old D70 today to practice sensor cleaning, I don't want to turn a small issue into a bigger one.  I ordered a new battery for the D70 - I wouldn't want the battery to die while I was cleaning.  I haven't decided anything as to what I'll eventually do.  I agree, learning how to clean a sensor goes hand in hand with a digital camera with interchangeable lenses.

Tomorrow I will try to take a photo of my M10 screen after doing the dust detection test.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In three years since switching to Leica, M and SL2, I have rarely needed to clean the sensors. The few times that I have seen dust spots on my M10, a few air blasts from my Giotto rocket bulb blower has removed the dust. One time I had to do a wet sensor clean.

I am very careful when I change lenses, which is not that often. I blow off any dust on the outside of the camera lens mount, blow the camera-side of the lens, and quickly change the lens with the camera body pointing down. This process has served me well since switching to digital cameras almost 20 years ago.

If the dust blower doesn't remove the spots then I use the Visible Dust sensor cleaning fluid and swabs to clean the sensor. It's easy to do yourself if you are careful and don't press the swab too hard against the sensor.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:21 PM, MikeMyers said:

jaapv, when I click on your link for www.jaapvphotography.eu  it takes me to https://park.alphamega.nl   

Is my internet confused, or ?????

I tried this in both Safari and Chrome - same result.   😞

Thanks - I have to remove the link - I put my website in hibernation, as I couldn't be bothered to keep it up. I'll probably migrate to SmugMug or something in due course.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm six weeks late, but all your advice and reading Leica's instructions got me to finally do it.

I took a photo of the camera's back after running the built-in tool.

After a few puffs from my "rocket blower" the screen was empty.  I expected it to take a lot more effort.  I wish it was this easy to clean my Nikon DSLR sensors.

(Anyone know how to record the window showing sensor dirt - I assume it can't be done.)

Thanks to all of you!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MikeMyers
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 7:50 AM, andybarton said:

You don't want to be using anything stronger than a Rocket Blower.

And always hold the camera with the throat pointing down so the dust has somewhere to go, other than somewhere else in your camera.

Thanks for the warning.  Just to be clear, I used the Giotto rocket blower, and I didn't squeeze very hard at all, just about five light "puffs". The camera was held upside down, above my head. The rocket blower didn't get close to the sensor.  I tested it on my hand first - very light "breeze".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Last week I visit the leica store İstanbul.  As an ambassador of Leica Turkey; the friends at the store clean my m10 for me twice a year. After finishing the cleaning process they came and told me that they cleaned the whole sensor but there is a sticky and oily dust in the sensor; not a big one but they had to use a solution to remove it but the technicians at the factory at  wetzlar told them not use it until it’s very very necessary ‘cause it can damage the coating on the sensor. So I left it as it is. And if I shoot stopped down to F11 or 16 I use Lightroom to erase that mark if it appears on the photo ..

I'm certainly not the person to give any advice, but when I bought the sensor cleaning tools I then ignored for a few years, I got the blower brush, and some special wipes with a cleaning solution.  I know it is approved for use on Nikon cameras, and I was told it is fine for Leica sensors, IF USED PROPERLY.  I'll take a photo of what I bought.  Can you post a photo that shows the "stain"?  Was the"stain" there before they cleaned the sensor?  

Can you use the M10 tool that exaggerates sensor dust, and take a photo of the result on the back of your M10 screen, and post that here?

I think this is better for you than what I first posted:

https://visibledust.com/products/smear-away-liquid-sensor-cleaning-solution/

Confirm with someone here who knows more about it than I do - it sounds like the right product, but???

Where do you live?  Do you have access to Amazon, if this product is recommended?

Edited by MikeMyers
better solution (pun intended)

It depends what you are trying to remove - for normal cleaning any  reputed product will do. Smear Away is excellent for greasy stains, like oil spots on a new camera, or sticky Pollen that resist normal cleaning. If you want to buy a brand-dedicated product, get one for Sony sensors.

He wrote that he needs to remove "a stain".  The product I linked to is expensive, but it's the only product I could find specifically for "stains".  (I think the people who tried to clean his sensor messed up, and I have a feeling he's not going to want to do this himself.  He doesn't have a nearby place to go to for cleaning.  Maybe you can verify if the product I found is appropriate?)