How to remove sensor dust from a M10 sensor

MikeMyers

12 minutes ago, andybarton said:

You must absolutely ensure that your Arctic Butterfly does not touch the glass. Ever.

I don't use one myself, but that does seem to conflict with the Arctic Butterfly instructions: "Take the Arctic Butterfly® 724 and gently brush across your sensor ONCE."  Could expand on your advice please.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Good To Be Retired

Mine spread a load of crap all over the sensor glass. And I had used a Gitzo blower before hand.

So I threw it in the bin. (The Arctic Butterfly, not the camera).

It hasn't had a great deal of use this year, but since Manchester cleaned it, it's stayed very clean.

25 minutes ago, Good To Be Retired said:

I don't use one myself, but that does seem to conflict with the Arctic Butterfly instructions: "Take the Arctic Butterfly® 724 and gently brush across your sensor ONCE."  Could expand on your advice please.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the brush has to remain untouched - nor fingers or any other surface - ever (easy said than done). It works by creating static with the spin, and it is suppose to attract dust as it sweeps thru the sensor, or just millimeters above it (yeah right..!!!). In sum, a PITA.... does not work as they say, and likely you will end spreading other contaminants....

if you don't want to use a blower, which often dislocates dust to other areas, the sticky sticks - Dustaid and a gel one I can't remember the name now, can indeed do a good work. I have use high quality thin nylon brushes to pick dust from the sensor and chamber with success, but you have to be AR regarding storage, need a lighted magnifier and steady hand.

13 minutes ago, Good To Be Retired said:

Incidentally, I enjoyed your website.  My wife and I spend as much time in the UK as possible.  Delightful place for a photographer.

Thank you.

We are very lucky here.And we take it for granted, most of the time.

57 minutes ago, andybarton said:

You must absolutely ensure that your Arctic Butterfly does not touch the glass. Ever.

The entire point and function of the Arctic Butterfly is to touch the glass. What should be ensured is that it touches nothing else (no handling, no brushing over non-dust contaminants, keeping it capped).

Edited by astrostl

15 minutes ago, nwphil said:

the brush has to remain untouched - nor fingers or any other surface - ever (easy said than done). It works by creating static with the spin, and it is suppose to attract dust as it sweeps thru the sensor, or just millimeters above it (yeah right..!!!). In sum, a PITA.... does not work as they say, and likely you will end spreading other contaminants....

if you don't want to use a blower, which often dislocates dust to other areas, the sticky sticks - Dustaid and a gel one I can't remember the name now, can indeed do a good work. I have use high quality thin nylon brushes to pick dust from the sensor and chamber with success, but you have to be AR regarding storage, need a lighted magnifier and steady hand.

Think I'll stick with Sensor Swabs :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I called the Leica Store in Miami.  They send their cameras to Southern Photo Service in North Miami Beach.

I called Southern Photo - show up with camera(s), an in perhaps 15 minutes they'll clean the whole camera, for $50 each.  You get a coupon to cover a second cleaning if needed in the next month.

If you do a Google search, Google will bring up a window that describes the place, reviews, etc., but the web link is broken - it goes to a pharmacy.  I just called them to let them know it's broken.

19 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

I called the Leica Store in Miami.  They send their cameras to Southern Photo Service in North Miami Beach.

I called Southern Photo - show up with camera(s), an in perhaps 15 minutes they'll clean the whole camera, for $50 each.  You get a coupon to cover a second cleaning if needed in the next month.

If you do a Google search, Google will bring up a window that describes the place, reviews, etc., but the web link is broken - it goes to a pharmacy.  I just called them to let them know it's broken.

I’ll do it for $40.00

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, jaapv said:

50$? For a 5-minute procedure that anybody can do DIY?  Quick and easy money, I say. if needed I clean my sensor in the field...

I received a similar quote from a local shop when I first encountered dust and was nervous about approaching it myself. It was enough incentive to invest in a few tools and to watch a few videos on how to do it, and I'm so very glad that I did.

For 'jaapv' - this is my edited version.  You can make any needed changes, and eventually make it a "sticky":

Leica M10 - Spots on my images, especially at small apertures.

• This is sensor dirt. All digital cameras with interchangeable lenses have this problem, but an M10 is particularly prone, because there is no mirror as extra barrier and the lack of an AA filter makes the dirt more visible.

Strategies:

• One should prevent dust from entering the camera as much as possible. There are a number of strategies.
  • 1. Avoid changing lenses more than necessary.
  • 2. Change lenses in as much of a dust-free environment as possible
  • 3. Keep the rear end of the lens as clean as possible
  • 4. Change the lens with the camera mouth facing downwards
  • 5. (because of static electricity) switch off the camera before changing lenses. 

Note:  

• Dust will eventually build up on the sensor anyway.

Assessing the problem

• Consult the M10 manual and perform Leica’s built in sensor dirt test.
  • 1 Press MENU and select Sensor Cleaning from the Main Menu (page 4)
  • 2 Select Dust Detection
  • 3 Set the aperture on your lens to its minimum value (perhaps f/22)
  • 4 Aim your camera toward a white or light gray surface, such as a sheet of paper or blank wall.  The surface should be even in tone.  You don’t need to focus, but ensure that the surface fills the frame.
  • 5 Press down on the shutter release button to expose an image
  • 6 Once the image has been processed, your Leica M10 will display a high-contrast version of the image showing the dust particles on the sensor.
  • 7 Switch off your camera. 

Cleaning:

• Consult the manual to find the sensor cleaning item in the menu and use a FULLY charged battery. Before opening the shutter, hold your camera with the lens opening pointing down, and blow out the camera (using a bulb blower, not compressed air or your mouth!) to dislodge any loose dust.
  • If the dust on the sensor is loose one can blow off the sensor using a good bulb blower, (Rocket Blower by Giotto for instance) with the camera mouth facing downwards.
  • If that does not clear the problem there are sensor brushes like the Arctic Butterfly by Visible Dust that are quite effective or the little vacuum cleaner by Green Clean. At this stage the use of a Sensor Loupe can be very helpful.
  • If spots on the sensor persist you are dealing with stuck dirt like pollen or oil spots and need to revert to wet cleaning. There are numerous threads on the subject. The Visible Dust products are highly recommended or the Green Clean wet-and-dry method.
  • Use a proper solvent for grease if you think you are dealing with oil etc. (Visible Dust Smear Away or Dust-Aid Sensor Clean (my preference)
  • Open the shutter for cleaning and blow it once again with a bulb blower or vacuum clean it, to remove any loose particles which might be dragged across the sensor and cause scratches.
  • Although the M10 is full frame and there are size 1 sensor swabs on the market, I prefer using the swabs for 1.3 sensors (and APS-C swabs for the M8)
  • Take a clean swab, put on three small drops of Sensor Cleaning Fluid and in two sweeps, top and bottom go to one side - do not over-press!!- and sweep back again, using the other side of the swab automatically.
  • Or, using the wet-and-dry system, swab with the wet sponge and dry with a couple of sweeps with the dry swab. Don't let the fluid spill over the edge of the sensor too much - there are electronic connections there.

• That is all - close the shutter and test the camera either with the built-in test in the M10 Menu, or by taking an unfocussed image of an evenly lit surface at the smallest aperture.  In the unlikely case it is needed, repeat.

There are other cleaning systems, such as stamping tools. I find them quite effective, as long as there are no greasy spots on the sensor.

Just stamp, don't rub. They are a bit scary as one pulls the cover glass. Leica Customer Service seem to be quite happy using them, so they should be safe.

There are also sensor cleaning services or Leica Customer Service, but those are expensive and may keep the camera for a while. They may also not be readily available if one is travelling. Sensor cleaning is something any owner should be able to do himself.

If you are fairly certain your spots are oil or grease, it may be wise to omit the step with the Arctic Butterfly, as it may become contaminated by the grease. In case that happens it can be cleaned with the special fluid provided.

58 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

For 'jaapv' - this is my edited version.  You can make any needed changes, and eventually make it a "sticky":

Leica M10 - Spots on my images, especially at small apertures.

• This is sensor dirt. All digital cameras with interchangeable lenses have this problem, but an M10 is particularly prone, because there is no mirror as extra barrier and the lack of an AA filter makes the dirt more visible.

Strategies:

• One should prevent dust from entering the camera as much as possible. There are a number of strategies.
  • 1. Avoid changing lenses more than necessary.
  • 2. Change lenses in as much of a dust-free environment as possible
  • 3. Keep the rear end of the lens as clean as possible
  • 4. Change the lens with the camera mouth facing downwards
  • 5. (Possibly) because of static electricity, switch off the camera before changing lenses. 

Note:  

• Dust will eventually build up on the sensor anyway.

Assessing the problem

• Consult the M10 manual and perform Leica’s built in sensor dirt test.
  • 1 Press MENU and select Sensor Cleaning from the Main Menu (page 4)
  • 2 Select Dust Detection
  • 3 Set the aperture on your lens to its minimum value (perhaps f/22)
  • 4 Aim your camera toward a white or light gray surface, such as a sheet of paper or blank wall.  The surface should be even in tone.   but ensure that the surface fills the frame. Defocus your lens and move it around to blur the image.
  • 5 Press down on the shutter release button to expose an image
  • 6 Once the image has been processed, your Leica M10 will display a high-contrast version of the image showing the dust particles on the sensor. Note that this method will show up more dust than will be visible on your image.
  • 7 Switch off your camera. 

Cleaning:

• Consult the manual to find the sensor cleaning item in the menu and use a FULLY charged battery. Before opening the shutter, hold your camera with the lens opening pointing down, and blow out the camera (using a bulb blower, not compressed air or your mouth!) to dislodge any loose dust.
  • If the dust on the sensor is loose one can blow off the sensor using a good bulb blower, (Rocket Blower by Giotto for instance) with the camera mouth facing downwards.
  • If that does not clear the problem there are sensor brushes like the Arctic Butterfly by Visible Dust that are quite effective or the little vacuum cleaner by Green Clean. At this stage the use of a Sensor Loupe can be very helpful.
  • If spots on the sensor persist you are dealing with stuck dirt like pollen or oil spots and need to revert to wet cleaning. There are numerous threads on the subject. The Visible Dust products are highly recommended or the Green Clean wet-and-dry method. There are many more good products on the market.
  • Use a proper solvent for grease if you think you are dealing with oil etc. (Visible Dust Smear Away or Dust-Aid Sensor Clean (my preference)
  • Open the shutter for cleaning and blow it once again with a bulb blower or vacuum clean it, to remove any loose particles which might be dragged across the sensor and cause scratches.
  • Although the M10 is full frame and there are size 1 sensor swabs on the market, I prefer using the swabs for 1.3 sensors (and APS-C swabs for the M8)
  • Take a clean swab out of its foil, put on three small drops of Sensor Cleaning Fluid and in two sweeps, top and bottom go to one side - do not over-press!!- and sweep back again, using the other side of the swab automatically.
  • Or, using the wet-and-dry system, swab with the wet sponge and dry with a couple of sweeps with the dry swab. Don't let the fluid spill over the edge of the sensor too much - there are electronic connections there.

• That is all - close the shutter and test the camera either with the built-in test in the M10 Menu, or by taking a defocussed image of an evenly lit surface at the smallest aperture.  In the unlikely case it is needed, repeat.

There are other cleaning systems, such as stamping tools. I find them quite effective, as long as there are no greasy spots on the sensor.

Just stamp, don't rub. They are a bit scary as one pulls the cover glass. Leica Customer Service seem to be quite happy using them, so they should be safe. In any case, to be sure, don't pull when removing the stamp from the sensor, wobble. In general, use stamps designed for Sony sensors.

There are also sensor cleaning services or Leica Customer Service, but those are expensive and may keep the camera for a while. They may also not be readily available if one is travelling. Sensor cleaning is something any owner should be able to do himself.

If you are fairly certain your spots are oil or grease, it may be wise to omit the step with the Arctic Butterfly, as it may become contaminated by the grease. In case that happens it can be cleaned with the special fluid provided.

28 minutes ago, pedaes said:

I have totally lost the plot! 

To the OP - please be clear what you are about not to waste members time.You did say in Post #8 you had never cleaned a Leica sensor. 

Sorry for any confusion.  You guys have already fully answered anything and everything I was trying to figure out.  Now it's up to me to take care of it.

I have arranged to pick up one of my old camera bodies, a Nikon D70, and will try these ideas this week.

I'm no longer confused about any of this, and I just have to "do" it.  If the blower doesn't work, I'll move on to the next technique.

There are things I learned from what's posted up above that I never read about before, so if the goal was to find out how to do it, you've done that for me many times over.  I'm not sure what you'd rather have had me say in the original post - and nobody said what I expected to read here, so I guess I didn't know enough to ask the question better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1