Coding, Cleaning 90 apo and Stupidity

rnl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was stupid.

I can't say that I wasn't warned. Members of the forum have recommended competent others to code and clean lenses. 

I was stupid.

I sent my lens to Leica in New Jersey to be coded and cleaned..

Three weeks for them to acknowledge they had it (August 26); It's now four months and I received an email thanking me for my patience and announcing that the lens is on its way home; which is nice because they promised to send it early last week.

I called for the specifics (tracking no. etc) and was told that although they were working with a lighter staff somebody caught COVID and they shut down. The email was apparently a mistake.

Spoke with a manager and was told it will be sent sometime in December.

While COVID happens and, it is unfortunate that anyone at Leica or elsewhere is infected, honesty doesn't just happen.  Honesty and integrity is worked on hour by hour, day by day. It seems that Leica repair isn't working that hard on truthful communication with their customers. It just takes a few minutes to review the backlog of work, communicate with customers as to what to expect and consult with them.

I expected more from Leica. 

Edited by rnl

I can't say I'm surprised.

My non-APO 90 was getting the exact same treatment (coding and CLA), and it took from mid-June until the first week in Nov. (with an interim estimate of "before the end of October").

It is pretty much why I own a back-up camera (even at $7K a pop) and enough focal lengths to not miss one lens if it spends 4 months in Allendale.

And that is even in normal times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always told my young associates they should underpromise and overdeliver.

I own a number of Canon lenses and cameras.  Even in the worst of times they are polite, cordial, communicative and responsive.  My equipment was promptly inventoried, an estimate was sent within hours of their receipt and the equipment was cleaned/restored and or fixed quickly.  No nonsense.  

I expected more from Leica and am disappointed with their performance.... are you reading this Leica? (I've heard they read the messages)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, graphlex said:

The 90 Apo is probably quite complicated, mechanically. When a lens is coded, Leica also brings its calibration up to spec.  I would give them the benefit of the doubt here.

The 90APO is one of the most reliable (& simple) lenses in my experience, because it has 6 elements in 6 group and all individually mounted in fixed position.  Only 1 movement is the separation focus group which is the only area can be adjust.  I sent it in 3 times and never need adjustment.  Therefore it's a good reference lens to identify bad RF. 

• Like 1

That is funny....should read "I own a number of Canon lenses and cameras.  When equipment is sent for servicer the folks at canon, even in the worst of times they are polite, cordial, communicative and responsive"

Sort of like grammar saves lives:

Let's eat Grandma! or

Let's eat, Grandma!

Edited by rnl
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2020 at 10:53 PM, rnl said:

I was stupid.

I can't say that I wasn't warned. Members of the forum have recommended competent others to code and clean lenses. 

I was stupid.

I sent my lens to Leica in New Jersey to be coded and cleaned..

Three weeks for them to acknowledge they had it (August 26); It's now four months and I received an email thanking me for my patience and announcing that the lens is on its way home; which is nice because they promised to send it early last week.

I called for the specifics (tracking no. etc) and was told that although they were working with a lighter staff somebody caught COVID and they shut down. The email was apparently a mistake.

Spoke with a manager and was told it will be sent sometime in December.

While COVID happens and, it is unfortunate that anyone at Leica or elsewhere is infected, honesty doesn't just happen.  Honesty and integrity is worked on hour by hour, day by day. It seems that Leica repair isn't working that hard on truthful communication with their customers. It just takes a few minutes to review the backlog of work, communicate with customers as to what to expect and consult with them.

I expected more from Leica. 

But...you'll get it back in perfect condition...be patient, and in the meantime, enjoy your other lenses 🙂

Complaints about Leica NJ repair times have been going on for what seems to be decades now.  Clearly they have more work than they can handle and given the average cost of repairs, they can surely hire more staff. I wonder why Leica doesn't just deal with this.

36 minutes ago, rpsawin said:

And in this time of social distancing and sheltering in place it is indeed a tough blow. Maybe it will get better...

I safely watch the Red Dot Forum ‘Camera Talk’ episodes instead. So far, though, the hosts seem to do all the talking.

Jeff

• Haha 1

Just had a M240 repaired in October in NJ took three weeks. Asked about lens repair and they told me M lenses were taking up to 10 weeks or longer. I guess there is a backlog on the M lenses.

On a brighter note Leica SOHO sent a 21mm out for repair and CLA it took ten days. 

Repairs there have always be slow has been my experience. Never had any issues with customer service just have an issue with how long it takes to repair gear there. Luckily we have other choice for lenses.