Lumix S1/S1R/S1H FW with improved AF

helged

33 minutes ago, michali said:

Let's see if Leica also comes up with an AF FW update for the SL2 at some point?

+1. Would be strange if Leica doesn't follow these updates. And hopefully not too far into 2021...

The rumoured SL2-S - expected to come rather soon - may give us a hint.

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, caissa said:

Has anybody tried the new firmware ? Would be useful to get a report what has been improved ....   and if the improvements are effective in both 24 MP cameras as well as 47 MP cameras.

Me, I did it, and it didn't crush.

These are the listed updates:

1. Improved AF performance
    - Tracking and recognition performance of AF have been improved with an addition of head recognition.
    - Recognition performance during video recording in V-Log has been improved.
    - Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area] or [1-Area+].
    - [AF+MF] can be used during video recording.
  2. Added video functions
    - [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added.
    - [Red REC Frame Indicator] function has been added.
    - It is possible to play back vertical videos vertically.
  3. Other added functions
    - 4K video files can be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi.

8 hours ago, caissa said:

Has anybody tried the new firmware ? Would be useful to get a report what has been improved ....   and if the improvements are effective in both 24 MP cameras as well as 47 MP cameras.

I have updated my S1R and find that, on the SL 24-90mm lens, it will only focus when set to pinpoint focusing. On all other focus settings the lens just hunts and will not focus. Changing to the SL 50mm and focusing is OK. There appears to be a compatibility  issue. Anyone else found this problem?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, eawholloway said:

I have updated my S1R and find that, on the SL 24-90mm lens, it will only focus when set to pinpoint focusing. On all other focus settings the lens just hunts and will not focus. Changing to the SL 50mm and focusing is OK. There appears to be a compatibility  issue. Anyone else found this problem?

I just updated my S1R as well and tested it on the SL 24-90mm, and I see no problems regardless of focus settings. Very strange. Perhaps other users can test as well.

Helge, you have the 24-90mm also?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

I just updated my S1R as well and tested it on the SL 24-90mm, and I see no problems regardless of focus settings. Very strange. Perhaps other users can test as well.

Helge, you have the 24-90mm also?

Limited time for testing, but S1R and S5 (with latest FW) works fine with eg SL24-90 and SL70Cron. So far so good... 

1 hour ago, eawholloway said:

This is most bizarre! The problem of focus on my SL 24-90mm lens with the updated S1R firmware has disappeared overnight. Last night the camera was left with the lens attached. The only thing that i did this morning was to reformat the memory card in camera. The lens is now working perfectly.

Strange - but good! Did your body turn on a (lens) FW update...?

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

Initial reports are positive, some people say AF-C is "night and day", including on the S1R.

I may even purchase a SL2 again!

If/when the SL2 gets similar type of FW update, you mean? Yes, we are waiting for an update on SL2-af...

8 minutes ago, helged said:

If/when the SL2 gets similar type of FW update, you mean? Yes, we are waiting for an update on SL2-af...

Yup.

But I see no reason why Leica shouldn't be able to offer the same AF improvements. Quite the opposite, if they don't offer the revised Panasonic AF, they potentially may lose customers to Panasonic itself. After all, you can keep your existing APO glass collection.

7 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Yup.

But I see no reason why Leica shouldn't be able to offer the same AF improvements. Quite the opposite, if they don't offer the revised Panasonic AF, they potentially may lose customers to Panasonic itself. After all, you can keep your existing APO glass collection.

Agree. Let's see what the SL2-S offers...

I downloaded without any problem. This seems to be a very significant upgrade. The head detection now works beautifully. I will know how much better it is when my second S1-R returns from the service centre. I dropped it and the little door that covers the card slot got broken. I can then make a direct comparison. 

This upgrade IMO makes a great camera even better.

• Like 1

I have an s1 and recently updated the firmware... quite happy with the results. Specially the option to use eye detect with one area plus... not more the issue of eye detect jumping from face to face like crazy, not is stays were you set the box. That for me was a huge issue with the previous firmware now is great.... no issues with evf no isse with anything. 

Only problem to me is the fact that you can not assign a button to enable and disable eye detect when in one area plus. Would be extremely useful for events. This way you could disable it quickly without going to the menu... when shooting objects or still of things, this to avoid false positive of faces. 

But it feels like one more step in the right direction. 

(i tested the camera with the pana 2470mm 2.8 and the sigma 45mm 2.8)

Edited by Malabito

I am still figuring out the new features, and I think I am getting there. You can now select one area, and one area plus to make use of head, or animal and bird recognition.

There is a button to do what you say. It is on the touch screen.  When in Af mode one area, or one +, you will see a line under the main heading saying Human/Animal Off. You select by touch on the option. This is pretty fast and the screen display shows which of the three options you are in.  

The other thing I have noticed is that when you set AF mode to Human or Animal Detect, instead of One area or One +, the camera seems more sensitive to finding a head / animal and jumps to a face the instant it comes into the picture, even if it is coming from the extremest corner. Shooting this way seems to be faster for face recognition from what I see so far.

• Like 2

I was able to update the camera without issues.  The firmware does behave consistently across my Panasonic (50mm), Leica (zooms and SL primes), and my Sigma 105mm 1.4 after a weird start as was stated by an earlier poster.  Not sure if the lenses had to communicate something with the new firmware before normal operation.

so far, seems faster, including pin point AF, which I use a lot for tripod mounted work.  The face detection is more sure and so far, several images taken with the 105 1.4 @ 1.4 are tack sharp on the near eye..a good start.  I will report back once I have used the new AF for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1