Back to basics

Enjoy the back to 'reality'.....  You can't beat film and getting back into the analog mode I feel makes taking photos more enjoyable as I get more in the mood. How do you like the light meter ? Still working? 

Hey, I didn't know there was any 'formal Leica Manual'....I thought it was just learning as you go! Gees, I could have saved myself years of work 🙂 .... jim

Edited by lmans
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BlackBarn said:

...to quote my new mate Stephen Mayes. ‘Let’s start by understanding that we are no longer looking at the faithful indexical record of light.......the digital sensor remains essentially a single surface that light cannot penetrate, and therefore the rendering of colour requires adjacent pixels, red and blue. In effect, three cells are required to produce a single pixel of image, which means that only one third of the photons hitting the sensor are actually recorded and two thirds are discarded in the interpolation process.The apparent detail that is so extraordinary in the finished image is not a record of light but is the product of computational processes that mimics the appearance of the traditional analogue process......

Apologies to the OP for this thread about a beautiful M4 having gone off at a tangent but this ^ is complete nonsense at every step.

Philip.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pippy said:

Apologies to the OP for this thread about a beautiful M4 having gone off at a tangent but this ^ is complete nonsense at every step.

Philip.

Good reason to split it; it can be found in the Bar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/23/2020 at 5:54 PM, lmans said:

Hey, I didn't know there was any 'formal Leica Manual'.

If you can't get hold of that book, this one is readily available at all good online rip-off auction houses.

LEICA M ADVANCED PHOTO SCHOOL by GUNTER OSTERLOH (PHOTOGRAPHY, LARK BOOKS, 2005)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

They now sell for about ten quid, but at one time they were going for two hundred on eBay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, andybarton said:

If you can't get hold of that book, this one is readily available at all good online rip-off auction houses.

LEICA M ADVANCED PHOTO SCHOOL by GUNTER OSTERLOH (PHOTOGRAPHY, LARK BOOKS, 2005)

They now sell for about ten quid, but at one time they were going for two hundred on eBay.

I even saw one for 5000$...

What am I bid? ;)

4 hours ago, andybarton said:

Hmmm....might be interesting! Certainly more interesting in a book I have from the same author entitled ""Applied Leica Technique (Excellence in Photography)" from 1984 (Eng. edition.) - a 304 page tome which, in the main, is almost a sales-tool for the newcomer to photography who has bought themselves a Leicaflex.

M users might find the basic info useful but the rangefinder experience / technique from the dawn of the Ur-Leica right up to the M3 (remember that this book was published in 1984!) are dispensed with on pages 22, 23 and 24 which comes under the sub-heading; "Brief Leica Chronicle".

Probably a wealth of interest to users of Leicaflex (all models), Leica R3 and R4, though!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

16 hours ago, andybarton said:

Thnx, found and ordered both.. and paid far less than $5.000. 😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This later version is also worth having - 'Today' being 2015.

• Like 1

I could have written the original post as I have been giving serious thought to selling my digital Leica and reverting to b&w film.  I acquired a 3f with 50 Summicron about three months ago.  It is my first LTM Leica and I have been having a great time with it.  If you think a film M slows you down compared to a digital camera, give one of the LTM models a try.

I turn 68 today and am awaiting delivery of a mint black M4 from Classic Connections.  I am planning on taking it, my M2 and very recently purchased Rolleiflex on a three week road trip to the national parks in Utah.  I am trying to decide if I should only take b&w film or throw in some color (Ektar and Porta 400) for both the Rollei and Leicas.  Since I am traveling by car, I might pack the kitchen sink as well.

I enjoy the old cameras and the whole film process.  I am attracted to digital just for the technology and immediate results but hate sitting at a computer.  I wish there was a perfect camera.  For me it would probably be an M2 or M4 with interchangeable backs-one digital and one film.

• Like 5